Welcome!

Options
kelag297
kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
Welcome to the group! Let's start out by having everyone introduce themselves and tell why you became vegetarian or vegan or why you are looking to become vegetarian or vegan :)

Replies

• MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in an active vegan/veggie group! I don't think there is an active group on MFP. I am vegan on and off. I just switched back to a vegan diet recently from eating "green" with chicken and egg whites in my diet. So far, so good! I was eating animal protein for weight loss. I always seem to put on weight with a vegan diet. I am carefully watching my calories right now.

Why vegan - health and meat generally grosses me out. Really no issue skipping dairy as I really don't like milk. I have been vegan/vegetarian on and off for 25 years (I'm 43). I follow all of the vegan doctors/ researches and have heard them all speak often (McDougall, Campbell, Barnard, Esselstyn, etc...).

I have been reading the Vegan Bodybuilding website a lot recently to get ideas for my diet. Also Mac Danzig's diet.
  • Tig_
    Tig_ Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey :)

Great idea for a group and I look forward to meeting new people.

I have been a vegetarian for the past 14 years but I'd love to chat with others and learn new recipes, especially now I'm working hard on MFP/WW.

I became a vegetarian because of a phobia of many foods, mostly meat, and for me being a vegetarian stems from that. However I also support it for other reasons.

x
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi

I can't believe there isn't another vegetarian group at all on MFP? :o

But anyway I've been thinking for a long time about trying to be a vegetarian because I hate cruelty to animals and eating meat and fish has become more and more gross to me.

Ideally I'd like to not eat any animal products at all but I have a hard time shopping for food as it is as I'm on a very tight budget and I know it takes a lot of conscious effort to keep track of what's in your food and drink when you're a vegan.
  • shadowmom75
    Options
    Hi everyone! Newly switch to plant based nutrition.I was vegetarian for several years, but I was a junk food veg. I'm switching to a whole food vegan diet. I made the switch for heath and weightloss reasons. So far so good. I'm one week into it and down 9 lbs and feeling much better already.
  • dle329
    dle329 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian my entire life and actually I'm a fourth generation vegetarian. My grandmother was a very strict dietian and made all our meals. She never allowed us to help in the kitchen. She would dish up our plates and tell us we had to clean our plates before we could leave the table. If we asked why we had to eat something her response was "because it's good for you". She never taught us anything about nutrition. When I got out on my own and started to taste how good food could be, I packed on the weight. Clearly I have a lot to learn despite being a lifetime vegetarian and look forward learning from all of you and sharing what I can. Thanks for creating this group.
  • marma_13
    marma_13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for almost a year. I decided to go to a plant-based diet for health reasons -- family history of high cholesterol and stroke along with an intolerance to statins. I have always maintained a fairly healthy diet -- lean protein, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, low fat, etc. -- but my genetic predispositions and inability to lower cholesterol with a "regular" diet tipped the scales, as it were, in favor of a completely plant-based diet. I am age 64 and moderately active, at best. I have never felt better and never been happier. I love my diet. In every way this vegan diet works better for me than a diet including animal products. On the rare occasion when my preferred diet in unavailable, I chose fish or include egg whites in my diet. The hardest part was getting started and organizing my kitchen. I eat out a lot, almost daily, but find it fairly easy to find what a need. I have dropped about 10 pounds over the last 10 months. I have consulted doctors and other health professionals to measure my personal metabolism, determine how many calories I should consume, what my body fat content is and what it should be ideally. I never eat things I do not like and find there is no reason to.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Hello!

I became a vegetarian at age 12. I always loved animals and the taste of meat started to become more and more repulsive. I also had two pet chickens. One day, I just sat down to eat and was holding a chicken leg, ready to bite down, when my rooster started crowing outside. I stood up, handed the plate to my Mom, and told her I couldn't eat it anymore.

Now, I'm 28 and married with two babies. My family are not vegetarian, so cooking meals for all of us gets a bit complicated. I started to get in a routine of making healthy meals for them and not wanting to bother with another entire meal for myself, so I just grabbed junk instead.
  • Courage1895
    Options
    Hi!

I have never had any meat besides chicken, and after watching Forks Over Knives I decided to eliminate all animal products( dairy, eggs, meats, etc.) Then Christmas came along this year and I sort of caved...I had desserts that had dairy and eggs. Now I am slowly trying to get back on track, and only have dairy to get rid of before I am back on track with being a vegan.

I guess the main reason I want to be a vegan again is because the whole food industry's treatment towards animals is disgusting. I did an essay on the ethics of animal treatment for school and read some amazing books, articles, and documentaries. Ever since I was little I have had an overly imaginative mind and so when I see the veins on a piece of meat I tend to imagine the whole slaughter and that's the main reason I don't eat meat. Being a vegetarian/vegan was difficult in the past because I was always reading food labels. Then I followed some advice of a friend...to not eat anything I can't pronounce or have no clue what it is. Another way I cut down on eating sugary junk foods was by realizing that many sugars are not vegan/vegetarian because they use bone char to color them and only certain brands like Florida Crystals don't. Overall I am trying to be super conscience about what I eat in an ethical and healthy way.
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My family is difficult to cook for too! I have two sons and a husband who don't eat vegetarian. I was trying to raise my first son as a vegan and it turned out that he is deathly allergic to almost all vegetarian protein (nuts, soy, beans, peas, sesame....). The other son eats about 5 different foods so mealtimes are difficult.

To make sure I eat healthy and watch my calories, I just keep it really simple. I have blocks of tofu, frozen brown rice and frozen quinoa, oatmeal, yams, and fresh fruit and vegetables. I eat salad if I go to the salad bar at whole foods. I prepare almost everything the night before OR it's something that cooks fast like bags of microwavable sugar snap peas. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have an amazing selection of vegan items that are low cal and easy to fix quickly.
  • marjanet
    marjanet Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to add more vegan/vegetarian meals to my diet. I have high cholesterol and would like to reduce the amount of meat that I eat.
    Hoping for some recipes to share.
  • ceemaw
    ceemaw Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the group as of today. I've been vegetarian (and vegan from time to time) for 23 years. As a teenager, I officially became a vegetarian because I never liked eating animals; once I was old enough to realize that I didn't have to eat them (even though I mostly grew up in a beefy part of the country), that was it. I generally don't do much dairy or eggs but go through phases with them. I've recently become active again after a long stretch of not working out, and am slowly starting to see results. I have two kids (ages 2 and 4) who are vegetarians and my husband is a part-time vegetarian, which I appreciate. :) I'm excited to share ideas and support with other vegetarians/vegans on MFP!
  • kelag297
    kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group ceemaw! 23 years is awesome to have been eating this way, can't wait to hear some ideas you have to help us all out and we hope to provide support for you as well!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this group! I was surprised to see that most of the veg groups were not active. I have been primarily a vegetarian for most of my life - but I have eaten dairy and fish regularly. The practices of both these industries are as unethical to me as the meat industry and yet I have had a very hard time committing to stop eating those products. I think part of it is putting in the work to plan ahead. Looking forward to the conversations!
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been vegetarian since March of 2013. Today I'm starting my transition to being vegan. I became vegetarian while on maternity leave. I started watching documentaries during long nursing sessions with baby girl. I watched Vegucated, Forks over Knives, Food INC, The Garden, No Impact Man, etc.... At first I was concerned with the chemicals and nasty stuff in food. Then, last April, I read Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals. That book changed my life. I can't imagine going back to eating meat.

I've wanted to go vegan for awhile for two reasons: 1) the dairy / egg industry is cruel to animals. I think it may be that I am a nursing mother, but to picture myself in the cow's position: forcibly impregnated, having my baby taken away, and then forced to pump continuously?! That is straight-up horrifying. Also - grinding up male baby chicks because that don't lay eggs. Disgusting. 2) I have a compulsive eating disorder. Hence being over 300lbs. Diary is my trigger food. The more I eat the more I want and the worse I feel. I get sluggish and ill, yet I crave it. I know that dairy is doing this because one of my kids had a dairy intolerance as an infant and I gave up dairy while he was nursing and I felt so much better. I don't even know why I went back to dairy.

Okay. Now a little bit about me and our set-up. My name is Amanda and I will be 34 years old this month. I am married to Sam (33) and he is an omnivore, but eats vegetarian about 50% of the time. My eldest daughter, Hope (14) is vegetarian. The two little kids, Atticus (3) and Persy Jane (1), are about 75% vegetarian. They eat a little bit of meat at daycare, but they don't like it much and eat more veggies and starches. My husband fully supports us eating vegetarian at home. We do not purchase meat at home, but he sometimes eats meat outside of the house. We buy 1 gallon of milk for the kids each week and it is from a local, grass-fed dairy that lets the mama cows stay with their babies. We get 1 dozen local eggs per week from a friend who has happy chickens.

I'm cool with my family eating vegetarian, but I feel it is important for myself to go vegan. I'm really looking for support!
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    H, my name is Kim and I've been a vegetarian for 26 years. Sounds like a long time and I guess it is... I struggle with becoming a vegan because I like cheese, eggs and chocolate!

Glad to be here. Add me and let's be friends.
  • sharmaharvey
    sharmaharvey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My hubby and I just joined MFP today. Glad to see there's a veggie forum here. I've been a vegetarian my whole life and and we're lately wanting to eat more of a vegan diet. This is both for health and weight loss reasons.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions from others -- main difficulty for us is reducing dairy and nightly 'liquid refreshment'.

Cheers!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're not consuming beef martinis you're good to go!
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    "Beef Martini" sounds both disgusting, and like a euphemism!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Greetings! aedreana here, brand-new to your group! I am an ethical vegan who hates PETA. I oppose the murder of nonhuman creatures for any reason. Feel free to check out my profile page.I don't send out individual friend requests, but I accept friend requests sent my way. Please add me if you would like to be my friend. Thank you!
  • StephTheVeggieKiller
    StephTheVeggieKiller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey folks :) Im into health and welness and i love being vegetarian. Be my friend if youd like a vegetarian friend!