Anybody nerding on Hearthstone?

darkon
darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
^
Anyone?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I've tried to get into it but there's something about it that just makes it difficult to get into. I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that you really lose a lot in the translation when you put card games into digital format. When the person has to actually OWN the card, it makes it special. Of course I'm a longtime MTG player, so YMMV.
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Tried too late to get into the beta, when does it go live? Have heard pretty amazing things about it and also love MTG so suspect it would scratch that itch for me.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    I played it a ton when I got into the closed beta, but I haven't touched it in a while. It's really fun, and I love card games, I just haven't been making time for it lately. I probably won't get too into it for fear that I'll spend all my money on card packs, haha.

Docjoe, it's in open beta now, you should be able to get in!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    I've been playing a ton, but to be totally honest I'm not very good at it (I have no prior experience with card games) and it makes me rage so much that my boyfriend suggested I uninstall it... >_>

It's quite fun though and I've recommended it to a lot of people. Today I opened a deck and got a golden legendary Gruul card :o
  • darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Ahah i love it ;)
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    I've been playing it a lot lately. Never thought I would enjoy a card game. ;)
  • bramley1911
    bramley1911 Posts: 40 Member
    Been playing for a while and I love it! The first game I've ever been able to beat my boyfriend at :)
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    OMG YES! My boyfriend got invited into the closed beta and when the open beta came out he nagged me for days to play it, and just to try to convince me more would often play it in front of me. While it was mildly interesting to watch him I still wasn't hooked. But then i got sick and was bored all day in bed and caved in. One hour later I was thoroughly addicted. Hopefully this addiction doesn't end up as bad as my wow one was lol. Currently favourite class is mage, didn't want my main to be the class everyone starts off with but after trying out all the rest, mage is currently fitting my play style the best. That play style is winning :tongue:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    yes and I love the crap out of it. I only play arena though.

I have played lots of MTG and I think hearthstone is much friendlier to a casual/entry level player although part of that is because its new and MTG has been aroudn so long that the number of mechanicsand the way some of them interact in the stack has made it a little complex.

My husband plays constructed and its a lot more convenient than having to own physical cards, without the obnoxious pricing of MTG online (pricing is very reasonable IMO - and if you can get good enough to win 6-7 games in arena, you can pretty much bankroll your entire constructed decks with arena games). But that's us, we don't like owning physical goods in general - if we can get it digital that's how we want it.

I can see where people who like the "collectible" aspect of MTG wouldn't like going digital but for us its nearly perfect. If only they'd fix that stupid position switching bug. I've lost games to that bug.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Do you guys find better success in ranked or casual? I heard of some people having better luck in beginner ranked because apparently a lot of people with op decks go into casual.
  • tameko2
    Do you guys find better success in ranked or casual? I heard of some people having better luck in beginner ranked because apparently a lot of people with op decks go into casual.

Well if you're relying on luck I suppose that the low end ranks are more consistently easy, but in general unranked players are playing with the basic decks so that's that. For us the rule is - if you don't have a lot of powerful non-basic cards, you play unranked, but once you do if you play unranked you're being a d*ck

so yeah, there are some d*cks in unranked, but its not THAT common because there's no reward for playing unranked with a powerful deck besides beating people who can't possibly compete with you. If Ijust want to knock out a quest or something I throw together a mostly basic deck and play unranked./
  • Artificer22
    Artificer22 Posts: 68 Member
    Been playing since a month after the beta started. Having a blast. Long long time MTG player (since beta) so getting back into a card game is amazing. I play mostly ranked, i just switch up when the meta changes which seems to be every week. Hopefully the game stabilizes and becomes more consistent. RNG is a huge factor of the game, too much i believe, but overall great game. Anyone can add me, my battletag is artificer22#1342. Trying to get a big group of people to chat about it
  • Artificer22
    Artificer22 Posts: 68 Member
    And for Docjoe the beta is now open, all ya have to do is go to battle.net and download
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Im trying to. but im confused. Ive never played card games before so I don't get it. My daughter used to play card games a lot so she's much better at it than I am.

I spend most of my time just enjoying the voice overs and jokes LOL
  • tameko2
    Im trying to. but im confused. Ive never played card games before so I don't get it. My daughter used to play card games a lot so she's much better at it than I am.

I spend most of my time just enjoying the voice overs and jokes LOL

there are a lot of you tube videos where people will play games and explain why they make certain choices or play certain cards. I learned to play Magic by having that done in real life (my husband and his friend would just talk me through what they were doing and why) and then when HS came out my husband and I would play every game together and talk through what we were thinking about various cards. It helped a lot
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Love it. Played in the Closed beta and made my friends sign up too. I play mostly ladder. I use a Control Warlock Deck or a Control/Aggro Mage Deck. It's in Open Beta and is free. I've spent a little money on card packs ($20), mostly because I want to support the developers and it is worth it for the hours I've played. You can build viable decks over time playing with the free decks.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    There's a lot of community sites, podcasts and even livestreams on twitch that can teach you a lot about how to play. I love listening to The Angry Chicken Podcast. There are websites with deck lists using only the basic free cards (Hearthpwn), and Trump does great livestreams where he talks about why he plays each card.
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Me! But then I got distracted with Timeless Isle and now I'm sucked into the Blackhole that is WoW.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    I enjoy it a lot but it runs really badly on my machine.
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    I've been thinking about giving this a try, and reading this thread has convinced me. I'm usually not big on deck builders (I am TERRIBAD at MtG), but this looks pretty fun. Might as well try it while it's in open beta.