Hair Loss After SleeveSurgery

Options
Normacurrie
Normacurrie Posts: 19 Member
Hi there fellow Sleeve Members, I had surgery Oct 2nd 2013 and everything went and continues to go well ,however I`m losing my hair at a very scary rate. I have hair to my waist and I was told to expect "some" hair loss because of the anesthetic. And sure enough the hair came out but it hasn`t stopped. And it`s not a few hairs, it`s handfuls and handfuls, and it`s every where! The seat in my car and kitchen table needs to have a roller brushed over it many times to just get the loose hair off. So it`s pretty serious.
I have no thyroid because of cancer, but I faithfully take my meds and vitamins everyday. All my blood tests have come back perfect.
So I`m not sure what`s up. Any one else having this problem? Solutions??

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Biotin 2500mg. Was advised by the bariatric team to start taking this one month before and continue. No hair loss - 4 month out. Also supports strong nails.
  • Normacurrie
    Options
    OK, thanks! I wonder if they have that here in Denmark, I`ll have to look into it.
    My nails are quite weak too, peeling and soft. But because all my tests came back good they told me to just be patient. But it really is getting quite out of hand.
    Thanks again!! Norma
  • 54debs
    54debs Posts: 4
    Options
    I took the Biotin as directed prior to and after surgery (5/7/13) hair loss began at 5 months and stopped about 4 weeks ago. I would guess 30% gone..can see my scalp in front and the part is unusually wide. It is growing back, can see new baby hair at my hairline..Thank God! My nails are the best ever :). Have little faith in the biotin for hair loss, many of our fellow sleevers have the same problem, I think it just goes with the surgery.
  • Normacurrie
    Options
    Thanks for your input, I can easily say I`ve lost over 50% of my hair with no signs of new growth. Is Biotin a prescription? I had heard maybe I needed a B12 injection, but with good blood tests results coming back. They wouldn`t even consider giving it to me. Maybe I d just need to relax , but I`m getting more and more nervous.
    Thanks again, Norma
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I use the 5000 mg Biotin 3 x wk from Sams club and 50,000iu Replesta Vit d each month. Same hair loss I experienced after pregnancy. Labs are great and nails are great so I figure it will stabilize in 6 months like last time
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Sleeved on September 12, 2013 and I started losing my hair about 3 1/2 months out....and a frightening rate. It is still falling out but has slowed a little.

The bad part is the damage is done right after surgery when your intake is SO low....there really is nothing you can do.

Stay strong and remember why you did this is the first place!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I started losing hair at about 3 months out. It fell out at an alarming rate for about 6 weeks, then tapered off. It's still thinner than it was but has recently started growing back. I'm 7 months out now. My doc didn't think Biotin would help so I never took it, but he told me to use Rogaine if I got bald patches. Luckily I never did!
  • Normacurrie
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I take biotin, B12, D3, 3 calcium, iron, 2 fishoil, 2 multivitamins and a hair skin and nail gummie, (not all at the same time). I get at least 75g of protein per day, (typically do 2 protein supplements, drinks or bars per day). Had my levels checked, (routine at my 3 month post-op and everything was perfect). I've not lost much hair if any now about 4 months out. Could be I'm a compliant post-op patient, could be a crapshoot and I'm just lucky, but I'm not gonna change a thing!
  • nantnet
    nantnet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 10/02/2013 also and I have been experiencing hair loss for about a month now and it is scary but thankfully I have thick hair and a lot of it. I also take Biotin every day and Zinc twice a week but I dont' know if it helps or not. I do have new hair growth according to my beautician so I do think it is a temporary thing and I will just have to suffer through and keep taking my vitamins and eating my protein like I am supposed to.
  • Normacurrie
    Options
    Thank you all very much, I appreciate your thoughts and experiences. I will approach my Dr to see if that`s an option for me. Congratulations to you all and continued success! :) Norma
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 4 months out myself and haven't noticed much difference, (I've always had thick hair and been a shedder anyway). I take biotin and a hair skin and nail gummie and get more than 75G per day of protein. Blood chemistry was great at 3 month check up. I'm either very lucky or reaping the benefits of being a compliant patient! Either way, I'm not changing a thing!
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My bariatric dietician told me that I would avoid hair loss if I ate enough protein - 75 mg a day! It's a lot of protein for a tiny stomach but I get as close as I can. So far so good - no hair loss.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I agree with all of the above posts. I had to cut my hair to even it all out. Keep eating protein!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve 2.5 years ago. My hair loss started at about 3 months while I was on vacation and not eating enough of anything because I wasn't paying attention. My doctor said it was lack of nutrition in general and not enough protein at that point. He also started me on Biotin. I'm still thinner than I before surgery, was but it seems to be coming back little by little. And no, Biotin isn't prescription. You should be able to order it off the web. Try GNC.com, they have everything like that. :smile:
  • Texas_Pearl
    Texas_Pearl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had my sleeve surgery about 2 years ago now. I did not loose much hair. I took large doses of biotin and made sure to keep my protein up around 90 - 100. I could tell when my protein dropped, my hair did come out more. Hope that helps.:flowerforyou:
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 months post op and have lost quite a bit of hair. It is slowing down though and growing back in. I take Biotin and prenatal vitamins. I don't know anyone who hasn't experienced it, seems to be pretty normal.
  • koff21
    koff21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I been sleeved 10-14-13.... I had thin hair to begin with and It started falling out a month after and is still falling out. I get everything i need in and all my water. My levels are normal and i take biotin and just bought Nioxin..... I do not want to cut my hair... In fear it will look worse. I'm so stuck in wearing my hair in ponytails!!! SUCKS SO BAD>>>>> Positive I've lost 39 lbs Since surgery.