2nd week and...

Options
Mypcool
Mypcool Posts: 3 Member
Hi I am about to start my third week tonight and wanted to get some feedback.

But first, I used to work out, run, weights etc. till I was taken out with a leg injury about 6 months ago.

I decided to start p90x3 2 weeks ago.

Heres the thing I am 203 lbs, I am relatively in shape, or in as shape as a guy who hasn't worked out in 6 months can be, but I cant even do one pull up without the pull up assist band.

2 weeks in and still nothing.

Is anyone else in the same position?

PS If anyone is in the same place/skill as me I would love a partner to keep me motivated. You can either respond or msg me.

Thanks

Replies

• AngDenSti
    Options
    I'm a girl, but 6 weeks in and still not one pull-up for me either! Don't let yourself get discouraged. If it is challenging, then you are getting stronger!!
  • jsantus
    jsantus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    To me, pull-ups are one of the hardest things in P90X3, and Tony Horton loves them! I did a couple rounds of P90X last year and at the beginning I couldn't do any. I used a resistance band, then a chair, but I never thought I was getting much out of them (due to too light of a band or cheating with my leg & the chair).

For P90X3 I purchased a pull-up assist and I think it works better for me. I started this round 6 weeks ago and if I remember correctly, I think I could do 2 or 3 unassisted pull-ups. Now I can do about 3 or 4, and even with the pull-up assist, I have trouble getting through all 10 (and sometimes don't get there) in the later rounds of the Eccentric Upper workout.

I guess my point here is that gains in this area have been slow for me, so I wouldn't be discouraged over your progress. One thing I have noticed is that if I focus on negatives during my pull-ups, I really feel it the next day. I take that as a good sign that I made some progress the day before.
  • zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am on my "official" 2nd week. I did a week of classic then went on vacation which was poor planning on my part. Now I am back to it. I decided to do the lean version of the program after I got back which is less strength and more cardio. I have started to drop inches much quicker. My legs have exploded in size and strength as well. But one thing I did notice when doing 90X a couple years ago was that when you are heavier and not used to pull ups, it is much easier to do them (and much more encouraging) if you can drop some of the weight first. That is my plan. I am currently 230 I was 185 when doing p90x and I could do about 10-15 pull ups at a time. I can now do maybe 1. Work with the bands to start strengthening up your back and arms and gradually work towards the pull ups. Do your best and forget the rest. If you did 1/2 a pull up the first time. Try for a full one the next time. If you did 1 pull up try for a full one and a second with a slow release to work your back. Ease into the pull ups. They are hard but a great work out. Good luck!

You can do it.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am about a same weight as you are , except i am a women, so I have even less strength. I bought a pull up assist ( not the P90x ones), and I still cann't do a single pull up even with that help :(

Most pull -up assist help is equivalent with taking off max 100 lb . Since you can do a pull-up with that thing, you essentially pulling up 103 lb ;it is very good start! Without it , you need to lift your entire weight , which is 203, and that is a huge jump between the 2 types.

I ordered an other pull-up assist from amazon (brand name lifeline revolution), which can be customized with different colored bands, which have different weight resistance. The blue = 150 lb , green= 125 lb, yellow=115 lb, red=100 lb, orange =80lb ,magenta =60lb, pink =50lb , purple 35 lb, teal 20 lb.
    The idea is that you can progressively can decrease the amount of help the pull-up assist gives you until, you reach no assisted phase.
    Since my current pull-up assist 100 lb is still not enough help for me, I ordered with the blue and green cables. ( 150,125 ) . Estimated delivery is between tomorrow and next Wednesday , I am very excited about to try it out!
    Maybe once you can do a lot of pullups with your current assist, you can pick a color that offers less help, but still something maybe 50lb help .
  • zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Even with a pull up assist band you may be best to try to shed some weight prior to getting into the pull ups. just my .02 but trying to do it at 230 vs 180 is a world of difference. You can also try reverse pullups, mentioned in P90X Original. If you cant do a pull up start with a hang.

step up on a chair to the full pull up position and let yourself down slowly with minimal assistance or no assistance. Do that a couple times (it still works your back and shoulders) once that becomes too easy try it from the bottom. An assisted pullup with a very slow release. Keep those up until you feel you could do a pull up or two normally. It will take some time but it will work.

I have found the slow release to work wonders when starting. It engages those muscles that have not been used and strengthens them before attempting a full pull up.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As Tony says "Do your best and forget the rest"

Don't let it discourage you, pullups are literally one of the hardest movements out there, think of your gains in all areas. Maybe you can do more with the chair, or with the band, then you could the week before. THATS whats important. So long as there is improvement and you are continuing to push play!