Poor Endocrinologist

Options
I had a BAD endocrinologist and normal doctor. The normal doctor wanted Me on the Atkins diet and just metformin. Type 1 made him laugh. No testing either. Didn't want me to see an endocrinologist. Dumped him.

Former endo pumped me with drugs and insisted on not labelling me type 1. I had been in the hospital 5 times with infections dehydration. I blame her. She never did tests and called me mentally ill and need to see a psychiatrist. The symptoms were not diabetic. (Hint, they were). She did not fill my insulin when it ran out. Yup. You read correctly. I called twice everyday for it for a week. I finally got so frightened I asked my new normal doctor to fill it

That has been my new diabetic experience. Are doctors always this stupid about type 1? I have a new endocrinologist, but I am curious if anyone else went through something like this. It's scary that professionals could have killed me.

Replies

• Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you ran into these damaging doctors. I have never run into this, but hope that your new doctor is taking good care of you now.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Part of me wants to go back to my old pediatrician, who gave me a long lecture about my weight at every yearly physical, and tell him I am a T1 and lost over 50 pounds because of it. If he ordered bloodwork, especially if I had impaired pancreatic functions for more than a year, maybe I wouldn't have spent three nights in the hospital for DKA.

As for your endo, have you considered getting the contact with the ADA about this? They might be able to offer some more specific advice or give a list of alternative endos in your area.
  • bakermomof3
    Options
    You can buy insulin without a prescription. I was without insurance for a long time and I had to pay for insulin myself. Walmart sells the relion brand for 25 dollars a bottle. It's N and R, so it's not the best, but will work if you need it!
  • Zhanna8
    Zhanna8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I went to see a regular doctor, after looking at my blood test results he said he's wondering if he should call DMV so my driving licence will be revoked. I never drink alchocol or did any drugs, I was a mother of 2 kids, stressed at work (working long hours), so my blood sugar was high. It was first time I saw him, he didn't even asked why my numbers are so high, he just said what you read already. I never ever came back to see him again and was scared that he will call DMV.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I had an endo that tried to kill me while pregnant. 5 months in a coma......