A little intro

Options
Hey everyone, it's nice to join this group..

I've been a member on this site for a while and been trying to use it more often... One my drawbacks is not having accountability partners... So, if you wish can add me be a help ...this is also my first post in a group and starting to learn the site as a site not just a app on my phone...

I've been bellydancing for 10 years .. And I pretty much felt like I was the " fat dancer" ..... It didn't use to bother me.. Cause dance is dance .. But I'd like to lose weight for me, and well...costumes :)

Blessings
Ally

Replies

• missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi Ally, glad you could join us. We're a friendly bunch here, if not necessarily on line all the time! Why not tell us a bit more about your interest in dance- how you started, what style you do, and stuff like that :)
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ally!
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

Here at Belly Buddies, we're always interested to hear about other dancers' experiences and interests, so feel free to share away!

I know how you feel. While I wasn't the biggest dancer in my troupe, I started to feel like my weight (and bodyfat) was affecting my dance. I didn't look the way I felt while dancing, and my costumes were... ahem... less than flattering. So, I totally understand where you are coming from. I do feel belly dance is for all shapes and sizes, certainly, but each dancer has to be comfortable with herself.

Good luck, and please feel free to add me if you're looking for more friends. :flowerforyou:

~Iza
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    a very shimmy welcome.

Those are all good reasons, ( personally am a big fan of more flattering and availble costume options as a reason for trying ot get healthier.). Currently of those active in my troupe not only am i the tallest (and I'm only 5'6") I also am the heaviest by a good chunk. We are working on a piece with isis wings and I got a pair that was based on height. It turns out, that my wings are like 8-10" wider than the others. I feel I am taking up so much more room than the others and therefore am having to fit the urge to make my movements smaller and not hold my arms as straight as i should be to not stand out as much. Instead I should be completely owning up this opportunity to shine, especially since this choreo has a "queen bee" sort of role (long solo) that we are having everyone play with.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No shame in costumes as bribes! :-D I'll just add my bit to the welcome chorus, and say that this whole fitness kick has improved my dancing in ways *other* than the aesthetic ones, which is nice! I can drop to my knees and bounce back up, and it takes so much longer to start breaking a sweat! (Always, always a plus!)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    a very shimmy welcome.

Those are all good reasons, ( personally am a big fan of more flattering and availble costume options as a reason for trying ot get healthier.). Currently of those active in my troupe not only am i the tallest (and I'm only 5'6") I also am the heaviest by a good chunk. We are working on a piece with isis wings and I got a pair that was based on height. It turns out, that my wings are like 8-10" wider than the others. I feel I am taking up so much more room than the others and therefore am having to fit the urge to make my movements smaller and not hold my arms as straight as i should be to not stand out as much. Instead I should be completely owning up this opportunity to shine, especially since this choreo has a "queen bee" sort of role (long solo) that we are having everyone play with.
    Aero, you almost had the same answer as me!!! In my troupe I'm the tallest at 5'9" and the heaviest as well ( you should've seen me when we did isis wings, spread you're wings and shine girly!!!!!)
    OP, we all shine no matter how many curves we have or where they are located on us, yes I want to get into more flattering costumes too, but do you know that in spite of being the tallest and the widest in the class, I am also the lead dancer in the troupe, just let your brilliance and beauty shine through while you work on tightening up those curves, your passion and beauty shines through!