Crochet/knitting/sewing 'goal' wardrobe.

Options
I have always wanted to be one of those people with a tailor made wardrobe. Luckily I can knit, crochet & sew all quite well... But I've never really bothered as i kept getting bigger & knitting 'big items' is expensive & time consuming... So I always said when i got down to size, would create my wardrobe as I would be that size for quite a while...

However - I have no dang idea what my measurements will be when i finish this journey... Do i make things in a size i would like to get to? Do I make an achievable size? I dont want to put so much effort into something i will never fit into, likewise, i dont want to create something I will fit into for only 1 season as the scales continue downwards...

I plan on leaving the sewing till i get where I want to be, as it is much quicker to 'whip something up' - but - what do i do with sewn items? What would YOU do? :)

Replies

• littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    *bump* for ideas
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    make things that can be easily altered

about 3 years ago i knitted a carnaby skirt which is knit sideways

i have had to move the buttons twice, and about to do it a third time, so it more of a kilt now with a couple of pins to keep the fabric in place
  • Chelseraptor
    Chelseraptor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How long does it take you to make something? If it's something you can just whip up in a few days, then I don't see any reason why you can't make it for the size you currently are and start again when it gets too big for you. You can always give away something that's too big. And it would be a shame to make somthing for the size you think you might end up, and not be able to wear it after all that work you put into it.

I know it's a lot of work to keep making stuff though, so making something that can be altered is probably your best bet. I like to make skirts with drawstrings because you can just pull the strings tighter as you continue to lose weight. That one skirt can last a couple of sizes without looking too big.
  • littlelexical
    Options
    Thanks guys, with sewing, i whip most things up in a day (or much less, if it is a simple skirt) - but sewing isnt a 'few day' thing, it takes em weeks & Of course I have all gorgeous, fitted, cabled type items in mind! *grin* Garments that can be 'taken in' or easily altered dont really fit with my idea of a 'tailored wardrobe' so i may just need to be patient and wait till i get there & gather materials in the meantime instead - cause realistically, once im where i want to be - im hoping to stay there, right?! :) thanks for your replies
  • SouthPawSings
    SouthPawSings Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Is there something you'd really really love to wear at your goal weight? I think it would be amazing to make something that stands as a physical item you can wear when you reach your goal. Hang it on the wall be proud of its beauty and the hard work you put into it and then look at it and know when you can fit into it, you're there, but you were freakin talented well before that. :D That's what I would do anyway if I wasn't a left handed crocheter. XD (everything would come out backwards)
  • littlelexical
    Options
    thanks @SoutPawSings! I think the problem is having no real idea what size iwill be at my goal weight... so do i just pick a size & cross my fingers? Because losing weight, i am never the same size i was at this weight, when i was gaining - its all so tricky! lol.

And - making jumpers etc - most things are pretty symmetrical - so surely you could still make things :)
  • DragonLadyZinnia
    DragonLadyZinnia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It may not be the custom wardrobe you have in mind, but I've found that shrugs and skirts are very forgiving of weight loss. Maybe a couple of pieces like that along with some accessories (gloves, pins, scarves and hats) would give it the look and feel of a completely custom outfit without sticking you with a closet of things that are too big to wear!

Of course, being patient and gathering supplies is also a viable option. (It's just not one of MY strong points, so I had to chime in! lol)
  • littlelexical
    Options
    Thats a fantastic idea @DragonLady! idid already start a wrap asq i figured it would do me from now until eternity & found the most amazing wool!

Im also trying to find the perfect shrug pattern... as I know i will wear them for a lot of years yet! (have one on my needles as i speak!)

Great minds! (patience is also not a strong point of mine :) )
  • pixiesgreene
    pixiesgreene Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a sleeveless, princess seamed dress, or a gored skirt? Those styles are fitted and flattering, but if you lost some weight you could take them apart and just resew the gores/panels together with a greater seam allowance?