fallen

Options
lhinds85
lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
This journey has been a rollercoaster. Today I caved. I woke up on the wrong side of my bed and by the time I made it close to work I said forget just scrambled eggs I want the whole big country breakfast. I'm not use to eating fast food anymore, so I'm suffering for it now. I drunk my 9 glasses of water before noon, because my body was rejecting all that sodium and carbs I loaded on it. I just don't understand why I'm such an emotional eater. I've fallen and Lord knows I have to get back up. The scale isn't going my way and I'm not exercising like I should. I just need to suck it up and stop making excuses. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and start this over again.

Replies

• Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Lhinds - fear not, you haven't broken all 10 of the commandments! If you're trying to lose weight quickly for an event, this morning will feel like a failure; if you're in this for the long haul lifestyle change, you need to just think of this as a learning opportunity - what can you take away from this that will change the next time, because you can pretty much count on there being a next time. Sounds like you already learned that your body doesn't accept what you used to eat, so tattoo that on your brain, and next time you're feeling grumpy, rebellious, whatever, you won't repeat the same mistake. (We all know what we're SUPPOSED to do - I swear we all have an "inner teenager" that runs around inside our heads yelling, "You're not the boss of me!")

You're also being accountable to yourself - I'm so proud of you for that! Yes, you're being accountable to the group too, but being honest with yourself is the first step to managing the emotional eating. We all negotiate with ourselves - "One won't matter...", "I've earned this...", etc. The earlier in that "discussion" we can call BS on ourselves, the more likely we are to make better choices.

It's a long road. Sometimes we have to make what feels like a really big detour to continue to our goal. Sometimes it's just a backward step to get a running start over an obstacle. Just don't lose sight of where you're heading, and you will eventually get there! You've got this, and we've got your back!

Pam
  • morzolas
    morzolas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think we have all been there and done that. Our negative relationships with food and inactivity are what drove us here, after all! I think it's important to remember that one bad meal or even one day of bad meals will not undo all of your progress. Last week during one of the snow days I had half of a frozen pizza. HALF OF A PIZZA. I got sick, of course, and got mad at myself. "Why did I do that if I knew I wasn't going to feel good? Why did I do that if I knew it wasn't good for me?"

You just have to pick up again tomorrow. Progress is not linear: there are bumps all along the way, and they serve the purpose of reminding us that we ARE capable of getting back to what we need to do. You are undoing YEARS of bad habits (some of them even as far back as childhood for many!), so you shouldn't beat yourself up about it when you don't get everything "right" in the process. Keep on keeping on and take it as a small bump in the road of progress. :)
  • JoyLaine
    JoyLaine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You've "said it out loud" and you're owning "it" which can be a difficult thing for a lot of us. Sometimes we need those little bumps in the road to wake is up and get us going again in the right direction.

Everyday is a new day & a new opportunity to be good to ourselves!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of guts to admit our shortcomings. You are recognizing that you have fallen and you are picking yourself back up again. Tomorrow is a new day! :happy:
  • jls43
    jls43 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yup, yup and yup!

Why is it so hard to do what is good for us even when we "want" to do it?? Whether it is stretching, exercising, or not eating that dessert, somehow I "forget" my good intentions in the moment or busyness of life. As Pam writes sometimes it is that rabellious teenager telling me what I "deserve" or that it won't matter. I think Judith Becks's book The Beck Diet Solution is an excellent reference on mindset / emotional aspects. She is a cognitive psychologist and offers a lot of practical tips.

I also think our physiology and hormones have a huge effect on driving our behavior...well beyond anything our "will power" can overcome. Restricting calories too much? Our bodies aren't going to let us get away with that too long. Mad at yourself and stressed about "failing"? Your body pumps out cortisol which makes you even more hungry. This is complex business. So give yourself a break, use this as an opportunity to become and even better detective of your own unique needs, likes, desires and drives. And put it behind you.

This is a journey the requires perseverence above all. I really hope the whole thing becomes a little more effortless over time. I don't know if it will. But I have let go of negative self talk when I make a bad choice - no need to compound the error! Thanks for sharing and hang in there. You are doing great!
  • lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all the kind words and encouragement. I really helps out to know I'm not the only one going through this.