Can't bench press 45...do push-ups to prep?

Options
linka411
linka411 Posts: 101 Member
In preparing for stronglifts, I'm practicing this month by going through the motions of the exercises in the two workouts so that I'm ready to go in March. My squats are apparently coming along based on the times that I ask the trainers in my gym for pointers.

Today however, I attempted bench pressing for the first time. It seems that the lightest bars in my gym are 45 lbs. I tried to lift it...but alas, it didn't go so well. I also tried going through the motions with a 15lb dumbbell in either hand but that didn't work either...probably because that was a bad idea to begin with, lol.

When I asked one of the trainers about what I could do to build up to it, he advised push-ups, perhaps at an incline by leaning on one of the benches to make it less intense. Now, I wasn't exactly thrilled to hear that because I've been terrible at push-ups all of my life. I've never been able to complete one without gravity winning every time and my face quickly meeting the floor. Using a bench as mentioned is a little better, but I still can't seem to bend my arms at the usual angle I see normal people do them. However, if I must then I will do everything in my power to improve my push-ups this month so I can bench-press.

What are your thoughts on this advice? Should I practice push-ups first so I can bench-press? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how I can practice/improve form so I can get better (since I'm pretty sure I'm currently doing something wrong)? If there's something else I can do instead to prepare, I'd love to hear it. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Replies

• UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    In preparing for stronglifts, I'm practicing this month by going through the motions of the exercises in the two workouts so that I'm ready to go in March. My squats are apparently coming along based on the times that I ask the trainers in my gym for pointers.

Today however, I attempted bench pressing for the first time. It seems that the lightest bars in my gym are 45 lbs. I tried to lift it...but alas, it didn't go so well. I also tried going through the motions with a 15lb dumbbell in either hand but that didn't work either...probably because that was a bad idea to begin with, lol.

When I asked one of the trainers about what I could do to build up to it, he advised push-ups, perhaps at an incline by leaning on one of the benches to make it less intense. Now, I wasn't exactly thrilled to hear that because I've been terrible at push-ups all of my life. I've never been able to complete one without gravity winning every time and my face quickly meeting the floor. Using a bench as mentioned is a little better, but I still can't seem to bend my arms at the usual angle I see normal people do them. However, if I must then I will do everything in my power to improve my push-ups this month so I can bench-press.

What are your thoughts on this advice? Should I practice push-ups first so I can bench-press? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how I can practice/improve form so I can get better (since I'm pretty sure I'm currently doing something wrong)? If there's something else I can do instead to prepare, I'd love to hear it. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Pushups are a fundamental movement that everybody should practice no matter if you're trying for bench press or not. I agree with the trainer - try to do them during your training.

BUT, doing a lying down dumbbell bench press (sounds like what you may have tried doing with the 15s?) is what you should try. Use 10s or 7.5s if you need to... whatever it takes to get you going with the motion. Ask a trainer to watch your form.

Still though, with the pushups - even if it's just holding your body up in a pushup position for a length of time and not going down, you should work on this.

Also note that dumbbell bench uses a lot of stabilizing muscle and strengthens both arms individually. You will only be able to lift dumbbells as much as your weaker arm can handle. You will always bench less with dumbbells than a bar.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ^ What she said about lying down and doing chest presses that way with dumbbells. It'll help you build up to it. Push ups won't hurt either. I can do a pushup (seriously) but I can bench 75# now so apparently it doesn't work the other way around ;)

GL!
  • linka411
    Options
    Pushups are a fundamental movement that everybody should practice no matter if you're trying for bench press or not. I agree with the trainer - try to do them during your training.

Still though, with the pushups - even if it's just holding your body up in a pushup position for a length of time and not going down, you should work on this.

Sure thing, I'll work on them then. I can hold my body up pretty well, it's the going down part that's difficult. I can't bend my arms very far, maybe a bit under halfway down before my arms scream at me. But I'll get better! :)
    BUT, doing a lying down dumbbell bench press (sounds like what you may have tried doing with the 15s?) is what you should try. Use 10s or 7.5s if you need to... whatever it takes to get you going with the motion. Ask a trainer to watch your form.

XD yeah I guess that's what I was trying to do. I'll work on that on friday then (my next workout day). Tomorrow I'll practice my pushups. That can be done at home no problem given I'm not too sore from today's sad attempts. I'll eat a banana. Those help :3

Thanks for the tips ladies, let's see where I am by the end of the month. Wish me luck!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    A good cue I've read for arm placement for pushups is to go up to a wall and try to push it over. That is the position you want your arms to be in.
  • linka411
    Options
    ^ What she said about lying down and doing chest presses that way with dumbbells. It'll help you build up to it. Push ups won't hurt either. I can do a pushup (seriously) but I can bench 75# now so apparently it doesn't work the other way around ;)

teehee :) now I'm kind of excited to get better at it. I'll gauge where I am with everything by the end of the month and I guess I can see where I'm able to start on stronglifts, if only a few parts of it.
    GL!

Thank you very much!
  • linka411
    Options
    A good cue I've read for arm placement for pushups is to go up to a wall and try to push it over. That is the position you want your arms to be in.
    I've noticed that when I do my pushups, my wrists hurt from the way I bend my arms. I'll try this and see what things I notice.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    To build up to a regular push up, try from
    Your knees instead of a plank position. Build your way up.

Also, like the ladies said above, I def recommend you try dumbbell chest presses. Start small with 5s and work your way up. Really concentrate on form
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said already plus with push ups make sure you are using correct form:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWOFK_U1I30

The way I get people to work up to full push-ups with correct form is to lower yourself completely to the floor rest a second and then try pushing yourself back up keeping neutral spine. If your hands are in the correct position and elbows are going back rather than out then you will have no problem lowering yourself completely to the floor and then back up again.

Also planks will help with stabilisation and neutral spine, just keep at them and work up till you can complete full push ups.