Stretching: Before a run or after

Options
When i was in high school before a run (cross country or track) we would always stretch. So I have always stretched before my runs. But than I read an article that stated that stretching before a run was not a good idea that you should always stretch after because by than your muscles are warm and are less prone to injury.

so my question is do you stretch before a run or after?
Or do you warm up before a run but starting off slow and than picking up the pace? and running slow after you hit your miles to cool down.

I know that if I do not stretch after a run I can feel it a couple of hours later, so I have started stretching after a run and not before.

Replies

• julie_emma1
    Options
    I do a very brief warm up (either slow jog for a few blocks or some leg swings) before my run, and then I try to stretch afterward.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I do five different types of lunges (dynamic stretching as they say) before the run and then will stretch after the run.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before I run. I do a short warm up of walking before I run.

I cool down by walking and stretch afterward.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I like to walk for a bit before running. However it's the dead of winter and quite cold and possibly snowing out. Walking for a bit would be more like cooling down than warming up. So i start running immediately from my door. I mostly stretch when I have pain. However, I was doing John Viterelli's yoga for athletes (comcast on demand) after all my runs my first summer and it felt great. I've just gotten lazy since then.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I do a very brief warm up (either slow jog for a few blocks or some leg swings) before my run, and then I try to stretch afterward.

I started doing a slow job before picking up the pace and stretching after
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

Thanks I will check it out
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I like to walk for a bit before running. However it's the dead of winter and quite cold and possibly snowing out. Walking for a bit would be more like cooling down than warming up. So i start running immediately from my door. I mostly stretch when I have pain. However, I was doing John Viterelli's yoga for athletes (comcast on demand) after all my runs my first summer and it felt great. I've just gotten lazy since then.

I have done some yoga stretches after running and it feels so good
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'll stretch after if it's over 18 miles training run.... I'll stretch after other forms of exercise though to keep flexible.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Dynamic warmup and stretching afterward (even though the jury seems to be out as to the need to stretch after a run - I know runners who never stretch and warm up by either walking for a few minutes or a very slow run and it works for them)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    When i was in high school before a run (cross country or track) we would always stretch. So I have always stretched before my runs. But than I read an article that stated that stretching before a run was not a good idea that you should always stretch after because by than your muscles are warm and are less prone to injury.

so my question is do you stretch before a run or after?
    Or do you warm up before a run but starting off slow and than picking up the pace? and running slow after you hit your miles to cool down.

I know that if I do not stretch after a run I can feel it a couple of hours later, so I have started stretching after a run and not before.

When I started running, I would stretch because that's what we did in high school and college. As I learned more about running, what I was reading, from a variety of sources, indicated that research indicates that static stretching was counter productive and I stopped (it can damage muscle fibers and it does reduce power output). Then I read a bit about the "why" of it and that sealed this issue for me.

When I played basketball, we stretched to avoid pulling a muscle. That's needed in a sport like basketball because there are so many different demands placed on the body - sprinting, jogging, sudden turns, sudden stops, significant acceleration. You'll note that long distance running places none of those demands on the body. The longest step I take while running is just under 1 meter (compare that to the length of a stride before doing a layup) and my hands and arms move back and forth about 12". Since there's about a zero possibility that we will perform any significant movement outside of those parameters, I can't see a reason to stretch.

The other issue is that "energy return" in the legs is a huge part of efficient running and energy return is higher when the Achilles and calf muscles resist stretching. Given that and given that stretching will tend to increase resiliency of the kinetic chain, thus reducing energy return, I can't see a reason to stretch before exercise.

Rather than stretch, my warm up consists of at least a mile at a slow pace. The "at least" is important because my turnover rate is low until about mile 1.5. That could be because I haven't started doing drills (which I need to start doing!) and because of my age, dunno.

For a pre-race warmup, I buy and wear a heavy Fruit of the Loom warm up top and bottom, run at least a mile, and then drop the clothes in the donation bin when just before I start the race. I did that on Sunday for a Half and it seemed to work well - it was 48º but I was close to breaking into a sweat when I finished my warmup and felt good when I started the race about 10 minutes later.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    For a pre-race warmup, I buy and wear a heavy Fruit of the Loom warm up top and bottom, run at least a mile, and then drop the clothes in the donation bin when just before I start the race. I did that on Sunday for a Half and it seemed to work well - it was 48º but I was close to breaking into a sweat when I finished my warmup and felt good when I started the race about 10 minutes later.

Thanks for the information you gave me, I love this idea for a pre race warmup. Going to use for my Half Marathon in March. I know it is going to be cold and I was worried on how I was going to stay warm. I will wear something like this and than do my warm up and donate the tiems

Thanks
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My warm up consists of running slow, along with some buttkickers and high knees to loosen up. After running, I have a hard/flat rolling pin and a knobby Rumble Roller that I use religiously.

A small piece of me dies when I see people static stretching before a run. Or before anything.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    I warm up with Toy soldiers, jumping jacks, lunges, butt kicks, high knees - that sort of thing. Then i have a good stretch afterwards :)
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    some nice dynamic (AIS) stretches here.

http://www.solsantacruz.com/Stretching-for-Runners-OakSC.pdf
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If I have speed or tempo work on the schedule, I'll do some active stretching while I am waiting for my morning coffee to "get things moving". I use the ones described here: http://www.active.com/articles/case-for-cross-training-part-3-stretching . For long runs, I just head out and ease into it. I do a pretty thorough stretch after most runs and especially after doing strength work and also roll things 2 or 3 times a week. Stretching makes my body feel good. When I don't stretch, I feel tight and sore. But, that's just me. It's definitely an individual thing. Plenty of elite level runners stretch and plenty don't. I like having a strong, flexible (not floppy!) body, so I include it in my program.