Currently Reading?

Options
I'm reading The Crucible right now, as well as 20,000 leagues under the Sea. What are you reading? Titles, reviews?

Replies

• charliemouse70
    charliemouse70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just read a couple of follow-on novels to Pride and Prejudice.
    The first one was Longbourne by Jo Baker, which was revisiting P&P from the servant's perspective and reading their story. It was entertaining... but not really anything to do with Pride and Prejudice. Nonetheless I enjoyed the read.
    Then I read a Return to Longbourne by Shannon Winslow - Mary's story, essentially. It wasn't badly written but it was entirely predictable and I wouldn't read it again or recommend it.

At the start of the week I read "The Rosie Project" which was about a bloke with some sort of high-functioning autism looking for a wife using a questionnaire to weed out unsuitable candidates and (predictably) ending up with someone who shouldn't have been "appropriate". I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book, but the last 1/4 was jarring: the man changes his entire personality and I do not think that people with autism are physically/mentally able to do so to such a large degree. Overall though, a good read and at times a very entertaining one.

Last week I read the "Wool" trilogy by Hugh Howey and I really enjoyed them! They tell the tale of the last of (American) humanity who now live entirely underground in massive silos following an event that makes above ground uninhabitable. Can recommend them to anyone who likes a bit of science fiction/dystopia.
    Now I'm not sure what to read next - having an e-reader feeds the addiction to books very readily!
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm reading James Patterson's Along came spider , just love Alex Cross Stories. Reading them al out of order but still loving them.
  • Shelley8266
    Shelley8266 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm reading John Saul's Faces Of Fear for about the 5th time. I love his books, when that's finished I think I'm going to read David Jason's autobiography.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    the Butlerian Jihad... part of the Dune series
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading "The Land of Dreams", by Vidar Sundstol (Norwegian author translated to English by Tiina Nunnally). Setting is the North Shore of Lake Superior, it is a crime novel.

Shelmac, I have read all of Patterson's Alex Cross books. Love this character. I bought the most current book, "Cross My Heart", and will be reading it next.
  • maggymae78
    maggymae78 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I tend to read a few at a time. Right now its Charlene Harris's Grave Secret, Mercedes Lackey's Arrows for the Queen (from the Valdemar series), and Steve Jackson's Monster.

The last is a true-crime novel and is really well written, and rather disturbing.
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just picked up "The Goldfinch," by Donna Tartt. I have a "thing" for Southern writers. So far, it's engaging, but sad.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Just finishing "The End of Eternity" by I. Asimov, before that I read the Foundation series in full. I have been doing a re-read of Asimov for the first time since adolescence, thoroughly enjoyed it again. But any new sci-fi recommendations would be very very welcome.
  • HappilyTaken610
    Options
    I'm reading Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris =)
  • CookieEmporium
    CookieEmporium Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, The Twelve by Justin Cronin and American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

It's interesting to read three books with loads of characters combined.
  • marjanet
    marjanet Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading a novel by Ann Patchett - "Bel Canto", which is on my book club's reading list. It took me out of my comfort zone and I found it on the harder side to read. Having said that, I did enjoy it and would recommend it.
  • britty1018
    britty1018 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Great Gatsby, it's just a marvelous book. I can barley put it down.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I found a YA series called The Academy that I'm addicted to. I read the first 5 books in 6 days, lol. I'm reading through it again because the author is supposed to be releasing another book in the near future.

I'm also re-reading Wuthering Heights. That's such a beautiful book.

Thanks for starting a book group, and I look forward to getting some ideas for new books to read. :smile:
  • michimew11
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to this group. I just finished law school, and am slowly adjusting to have time to not just have to read casebooks. I'm also a librarian, so you can imagine how hard it was for me to put my literary life on hold.

Currently, I am reading the 'Atlantis Plague' for fluff adventure reading from the free lending library for the kindle, and I'm also rereading 'Bleak House' - which seemed fitting upon finishing my legal studies ( and I've loved ****ens since I discovered David Copperfield in the 5th grade).

Please add me! I would love literary fitness friends !
  • dorisopen9
    dorisopen9 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually have several books on the go, some for entertainment and fun, some more educational, some paper books, some ebooks.

At present I am reading The Map by T.S. Learner. Nothing spectacular, just some good old fashioned adventure novel. Then I've got The Corpse Reader by Antonio Garrido. A historical novel based losley on the life of a Chinese forensic analyst who is considered the father of forensic investigations. Not far in yet but it reads well. And finally, there is The Paradox of Choice. Why less is more. by Barry Schwartz. The psychology behind the difficulties of decision making, in particular if there is too much to chose from. Well written and a pleasure to read.
  • michimew11
    Options
    Wuthering Heights is one of my all-time favorites. You're right in describing it as beautiful, as eerie as it may be. Can you imagine - an already broody 10th grader discovering this book? That was me. I try to re-read it/most classics every 3-5 years, to see how my feelings grow for the story with my age. And I think I have more time for that now.