Magnesium

Options
amyjpage
amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
Does anyone take a magnesium supplement?

I was whining to a co-worker about not sleeping well and she recommended to increase my magnesium intake. Two other co-workers then chimed in the conversation saying that they too found they slept better after increasing their magnesium intake.

A short search on the internet about magnesium and pregnancy and here is some of what I've found:

A magnesium deficiency may lead to premature birth. Magnesium naturally works to relax muscles. Proper magnesium levels may prevent the uterus from contracting prematurely. Magnesium helps repair tissue. This is extremely valuable at a time when your body’s tissue is being pushed to the limits. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar. This can reduce or eliminate those dramatic mood swings. Magnesium also helps stop leg cramps. One heck of a bonus when everything hurts. Magnesium can also curb nausea which is great for those of us suffering from morning sickness. Physical and emotional stress associated with pregnancy can deplete magnesium levels in your body. Healthy growth of the fetus requires a steady supply of nutrients from the mother. If a stressful pregnancy is depleting magnesium it’s logical to replace them. Magnesium acts to optimize your blood pressure. This will come in handy when it’s time for delivery. Not to mention, there are studies that show magnesium can increase your pain threshold. You’re going to want that during labor.

Has anyone talked to the doctor/midwife/care provider about magnesium supplements? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    sorry, forgot to add this:

There are reasons you may not want to take magnesium during pregnancy. Most of them are associated with irresponsible supplementation. Diarrhea is common with a magnesium overdose. Not only is this added discomfort, you run the risk of dehydration which is dangerous. Especially during pregnancy.

As I mention, magnesium naturally optimizes blood pressure. An overdose can reduce blood pressure levels too far. This can be extremely dangerous to your baby during pregnancy and delivery.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much is overdose. My obgyn told me to take magnesium, my regular doctor told me to be wary of too much magnesium during pregnancy.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'd talk to my doctor/midwife/obgyn before taking any new supplements other than a standard prenatal - just to be safe. :)