Hi. im new to this. any tips would be great. heres why.

Options
mtg81
mtg81 Posts: 18 Member
Hi everyone.
My name is Mark. I have stopped eating meat, not because of the taste. (meat is delicious) Not because nutrition. (I actually think i would stay just as or more healthy if i ate meat) The reason why is I started seeing the world differently. My wife calls me a hippy. (spiritual hippy) lol. I just think animals are very aware of their lives. They love, feel show emotion, and know what is going on. They are conscious like us.(atleast i think so) quick example. if you saw blackfish. when the baby is taken from the mom at sea world and she screams and calls for it. that kills me. I went from a low carb primal caveman who lost 100 pounds on low carb to almost vegan now.

Ok im getting carried away, enough.

what i would really like is some tips. how much protein i really need. protein/carb/fat ration.

any tips for a person who sees all this info and doesnt know if he is doing it right.
thanks in advance
Mark
p.s. friend are all ways welcome

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Hi Mark,

I follow the Institute of Medicine's guidelines for my macros since the IOM is part of the National Academy of Science. The IOM recommends 45 to 65% Carbs, 20 to 35% Fat, and 10 to 35% Protein. As you can see, the macro ranges are quite large. You definitely want to ensure you get sufficient protein, but personal preference and how you feel seems to be a good guideline.

55% Carbs, 30% Fat, and 15% Protein has worked very well for me. When my carb intake dips below 50%, my energy level drops and I'm less active. Not good.

Good luck!
  • mtg81
    mtg81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok. That's about where I'm at. Thanks