How do you manage your boobs?!?!?!

kaetmarie
kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
Question for breastfeeding mamas: How do you keep yourself comfortable to work out? My little one is 7 weeks old and I'm exclusively breastfeeding/pumping (back to work already). I just started exercising again last week...I'm doing yoga and attempting to get back into running for now...but I'm having such a hard time being comfortable. I either feed him or pump right before, but I still feel like it's not enough. I'm thinking it may be my bra? HELP!!

Replies

• Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Hey there! It may be your bra, but in my experience, it took my milk supply a while to calm down (4 months!!). But once it did, It was much easier to work out.
  • I put a sports bra over my nursing bra....my boobs are HUGE so this helps
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Hey there! It may be your bra, but in my experience, it took my milk supply a while to calm down (4 months!!). But once it did, It was much easier to work out.

^This! My boobs were insane, and now at 8 months I can wear a very supportive sports bra. I'd say at about 4 months I could've done that.

Not that this isn't an appropriate question for here (it is totally appropriate), but if you're interested there's also a great breastfeeding support group on here. No crazy judgmental moms :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/214-breastfeeding-support

ETA that there was a good thread going about this topic in here a couple of months ago. Maybe there are some helpful ideas there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1119540-running-and-breastfeeding
  • mojisha
    mojisha Posts: 36 Member
    Yes, yes, yes to the ladies saying it will calm down after a while. Except for the early morning, I really never have that full feeling any more. It freaks out some mamas who think they are losing supply, but it's totally normal. I nurse on demand my 10 mo. old. Maybe try to exercise in the evening when your supply is not as great as in the morning? I don't bother with my nursing bra for impact activities. It doesn't give any support so I wear 2 sports bras to run. I wouldn't have done this early on when my girl was a newborn, though, because I was prone to clogged ducts and tight bras would have made it worse. To do yoga I will usually wear my nursing bra since that's non-impact. I would just say be very careful since your LO is only 7 wks old! Breasts still adapting and you don't want to hurt them. :)

Oh and thanks for the recommendations for the bf group. I just joined!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    I'm not breast feeding anymore - but this is by far the best sports bra I have EVER used. It says it only goes up to DD, but I was a DDD/F when I bought mine and I LOVE the adjustable straps. When I was breastfeeding I wore this over my breastfeeding bra, but based on how tight you adjust the shoulder straps you might not even need to do that:

http://www.freshpair.com/Moving-Comfort-Fiona-High-Impact-Sports-Bra-771660.html
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    I'm not breast feeding anymore - but this is by far the best sports bra I have EVER used. It says it only goes up to DD, but I was a DDD/F when I bought mine and I LOVE the adjustable straps. When I was breastfeeding I wore this over my breastfeeding bra, but based on how tight you adjust the shoulder straps you might not even need to do that:

http://www.freshpair.com/Moving-Comfort-Fiona-High-Impact-Sports-Bra-771660.html

I have this bra and its great for high impact exercise. The straps are great for breastfeeding moms. They sell it on amazon too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Comfort-Womens-Fiona-Black/dp/B001AP5HPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391797535&sr=8-1&keywords=moving+comfort+fiona
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Yes, yes, yes to the ladies saying it will calm down after a while. Except for the early morning, I really never have that full feeling any more. It freaks out some mamas who think they are losing supply, but it's totally normal. I nurse on demand my 10 mo. old. Maybe try to exercise in the evening when your supply is not as great as in the morning? I don't bother with my nursing bra for impact activities. It doesn't give any support so I wear 2 sports bras to run. I wouldn't have done this early on when my girl was a newborn, though, because I was prone to clogged ducts and tight bras would have made it worse. To do yoga I will usually wear my nursing bra since that's non-impact. I would just say be very careful since your LO is only 7 wks old! Breasts still adapting and you don't want to hurt them. :)

Oh and thanks for the recommendations for the bf group. I just joined!

^This, too! If I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night, I wake up full in the AM. I could never work out before feeding (or pumping), no way. I don't feel full as the day carries on (supply is fine, it's totally normal to not feel full except in the morning once your supply has regulated). When I get a chance to exercise, it's either mid-afternoon or after the kids are in bed, when my boobs are much softer.

I'd say that "not full" feeling hit me at about 3-4 months, so be extra gentle to the girls until then :)