Switching It Up

Options
bigobelly
bigobelly Posts: 18 Member
Elliptical hill setting level 2 -I am finding that i have platued at 211# and can't seem get any lower in weight keeping my cal's at 1200-1300 using the elliptical for aproximately 30 minutes and average 75-80 rpm. Has anyone run into platueing with the elliptical and found a need to change their workout levels?

Replies

• MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Are you using the elliptical everyday? Change your workouts and keep your body guessing. Do elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill, stair climber, mountain climber (if your gym has one.) Switch up your workouts.
  • GoNuri
    GoNuri Posts: 13
    Options
    I change up the workouts on the elliptical by choosing different pre-installed programs. I usually choose programs with varying incline and/or resistance levels. I also make sure to sustain a high heart-rate (150-180 bpm) for 30+ minutes to be sure I get a quality "burn" and avoid plateauing. Hope this helps!
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    1200-1300 a day seems very low....maybe you should play with the #'s? Make sure you are eating enough, especially getting adequate protein, water and sleep. I agree with the other suggestions, you will not see as big of results doing the same repeat exercise day to day. You need to confuse the muscles and do different things. Even if it's just jumping jacks, jump rope, walking, jogging, lifting weights, bike riding, etc. There are so many things you can do, the possibilities are endless! If you are not able to get to a gym try home workout videos at home. I'm doing P90x right now and so far I really like it. I considered myself in shape before from running, spinning, lifting weights, etc at the gym. But this is completely different workouts so my muscles are confused and it is very challenging for me.

Good Luck! Just tough it out. Everyone gets plateaued every once in a while :)

Added: Also, a workout you should see great results from is interval training. This is even effective on the elliptical. Try to go at a fast sprint for a minute or so and then slow down and catch your breath for half of that and then repeat. You can play with the minutes and times, but it is very effective and will keep your interest and not be the boring usual workout.

Also, you say you workout 30 min. every day...what about upping it now to 35-40-50-60 minutes?? :)
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How about adding a loaded backpack? As you've been losing your resistance decreases with your body weight.
  • Portlandmom
    Portlandmom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am going to start using the elliptical again while watching tv. I can only do 10 minutes but trying to add minutes each day.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I alternate my workouts depending on the day...
    60 minutes cardio/fat burn keeping my heart rate between 60 - 70% of max heart rate with varying resistance of 20 - 30%
    30 minutes interval training (I use an ipod app call "lolo beatburn elliptical")
    60 minutes cardio blast keeping my heart rate in the 70 - 85% heart rate with 0 - 10% resistance
  • glove2u
    glove2u Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a big time Elliptical user. I am new to this group (just found it). I am up to 60 minutes on the eeliptical and burn roughly 700 calories during this time. I workout at our gyms onpost here in Korea. We have the Precor ones here. I'm glad I am in a group that are into the elliptical workouts.
  • player30
    player30 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Five days ago, I got on the Elliptical for the first time. This is the first stationary I have been able to use without getting bored. I have only been using the fat burn but in the four days of use, my heart rate for 25 minutes has dropped from 165 to 152. Being 55, this has been encouraging. I also like the rowing machine and I am up to 12 minutes at level 8 on it.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not only change your workouts but change the speed/lvl variation. HIIT training is probably best. Rest 15inlcine tredmil walking pace as high as you can. Then jump on the Xtrainer with alternations.
  • flyingjack
    flyingjack Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you just doing cardio?

If so, you may need to consider some weights.
  • bigobelly
    bigobelly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, my total gym time is 60-75 minutes. one thing that i have added including weights are the kettlebell. These are a great workout, im finding i need to keep my workouts going and the kettlebell helps continue the cardio burn. i have increased my weight lift capacities. I am feeling pretty good, and am glad to say have finally broken the platuea barrier and am nearing breaking the 200 barrier. Thanks for all the support my fellow MFP's
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One topic - answers all questions - solves all problems - H.I.I.T Research it.