How many calories & carb grams?

Options
bekdavis
bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
how many calories & grams of carbs are you eating on both HIGH Carb days & LOW Carb days?

Replies

• babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    When I was eating the calorie levels suggested in the book:
    Low Carb: 1200 calories, under 90g carbs, 100-120g protein, 35-45g fat
    High Carb: 1500 calories, 125-200g carbs, 100-120g protein, under 30g fat
    Funday: 2400 calories 100-120g protein
    Daily average over the week: 1500 cal/day

Currently I've raised my calories somewhat. So now, this is what I'm targeting:
    Low Carb 1500 C/P/F 30/35/35 113g/131g/58g
    High Carb 1800 C/P/F 50/30/20 225g/135g/40g
    Funday 2700 cal 120-135g protein
    Daily average: 1800 cal/day

Note: I do not eat back my exercise calories. I upped my calories because I've been working out a lot more, and I was getting really tired.
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks babeinthemoon! I have applied your 2nd option to my diet. I find if I only consume 1200, I am a roaring B!tch!

Low Carb 1500 C/P/F 30/35/35 113g/131g/58g
    High Carb 1800 C/P/F 50/30/20 225g/135g/40g
  • bdb011376
    Options
    I need to come up with some numbers. What I was thinking is atkins intro is 20 carbs and primal blueprint was around 100-150. I always lose weight when keeping carbs under 20. Mostly water I am sure, but at 100-150 carbs I was still losing weight on the primal blueprint just not as fast.

I am thinking on my lowcarb days I will start doing 20 carbs and high carb day do 100-150. I do not like counting calories at all. It is way too much trouble and I always give up. I do not mind counting carbs as much, smaller numbers. ha ha!!!
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    I am thinking on my lowcarb days I will start doing 20 carbs and high carb day do 100-150. I do not like counting calories at all. It is way too much trouble and I always give up. I do not mind counting carbs as much, smaller numbers. ha ha!!!

Okay, so I'm going to be stern here. So, this isn't my "yelling" voice that follows, it is my "raised, you'd better listen" voice that I use with my children. :wink:

I am going to STRONGLY CAUTION you AGAINST eating only 20 carbs on a low carb day, if you plan on actually following the CTL food plan. It won't be possible.

To follow CTL the way it is set up on a lowcarb day you will need to have (carbs listed from a LC ~1200cal day, 9/5/12 to be exact):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/babeinthemoon?date=2012-09-05
    -A high carb breakfast such as a breakfast shake w/ protein powder and fruit: 34 carbs
    -4 low carb mini meals with around 2 fist-fulls of healthy veggies at each meal. The exception to this is subbing one meal for another protein shake such as Chocolate PB.
    On 9/5/12 my calories were at 1224, and my carbs were at 81g for the day.

To follow CTL, you MUST attempt to eat the 2 fist-fulls of veggies at the 4 low carb meals on a low carb day. There is no way on planet earth that you will be able to do that and eat the HC breakfast that Chris suggests on only 20 carbs.

Sorry... but it is truth.
  • bdb011376
    Options
    You are right, I forgot about the carb breakfast. Still learning!!!!! I am still having a difficult time remember what I can and can not eat on each day.
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    You are right, I forgot about the carb breakfast. Still learning!!!!! I am still having a difficult time remember what I can and can not eat on each day.

Not a problem! :smile: It will take time... It took me forever to remember that I couldn't have a string cheese as a part of my snack on a HC day. Sigh.
  • samurphy23
    samurphy23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This may be an ignorant question - I haven't read the book so please don't get mad but why can't you have a string cheese snack on HC days?

Also how do you eat 2 fists of veggies 4 times a day? Does that get old?

You are doing awesome so obviously it's working, just curious!
  • babeinthemoon
    Options
    This may be an ignorant question - I haven't read the book so please don't get mad but why can't you have a string cheese snack on HC days?

LOL! No question is a stupid question. :smile: I just get really defensive about the carbs... because mfp counts all veggies and other "carbs" as carbs in the macros.. so it's something to be aware of.

Chris has Cheese (low-fat) listed as a "smart fat." Technically, if it was fat-free string cheese I could have it on a high carb day because it would be considered a smart carb (Skim milk & 1% milk is a smart carb). So, that would be up to the individual to decide. Now, for me personally, I am a cheese addict! I love it!! So, I have decided that I need to at least for now, eat all cheese on a low carb day or on sunday, no matter if the cheese would be fat-free or not. Oh, and I just doubled checked, the string cheese I buy is 6g for the one stick, so it would definately be a "smart fat."
    Also how do you eat 2 fists of veggies 4 times a day? Does that get old?

Yes and no. Technically yes, you should be getting the veggies in 4x a day. Now, when I was eating 1200 & 1500 calories during the week I found that I was having trouble getting in both the protein and the other macros in, and still getting in all the veggies. So, I went to the idea that I would do my best to get the veggies in at every meal except breakfast. I started out with eating a lot of salads... But, salads and I don't get along too well. I love eating them, but hate making them. So, now that it is winter time I've transistioned to a lot of veggie soups that I can add protein and carbs or fats to depending on the day.

Even now that I've raised my calories up (because I'm doing the workouts to warrant it), I still occasionally find that I have a hard time getting my veggies in. Mostly because I just don't need the extra bulk... so I just do my best. :wink:

Edit to add: in the book, when Chris talks about veggies, he says that assuming you get all your veggies in on LC days... it is okay to not eat as many on a HC day... since the carbs add bulk, and have staying power. I find this to be true for me at least.
    You are doing awesome so obviously it's working, just curious!

Why thank you! This is the first time that I have found a "diet" framework that works for me and my lifestyle. Choose to Lose isn't for everyone... but I'm thankful that I found it... since it is working for me.
  • fightingformylife
    Options
    I know this thread is pretty old but I just read Chris's book and I'm excited to start. I was also trying to find a happy medium for myself as I'm still hungry with 1500 but not starving if I pick my foods right and thought 1200 would make me a very angry person.

I like your ratios as well, so I'm gonna try that out too.
    Thanks!
  • Solartiste
    Solartiste Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry too a little. Be sure you drink half your weight in oz of water...that helps. I eat more veggies on low carbs day because I am more hungry. A way to have veggies on breakfast is too make smooties with spinach and other greens. Or I make a egg on a bread with some spinach :) Taste good.

I have 1200 cal on low days WITHOUT veggies but it gives around 1400 cal becauset MFP counts veggies too.

Carbs: 50 to 110 g
    Fats: 75 to 90 g
    Protein: 108 to 120g

And 1500 cal on high days, without veggies and 1600 cal with it.

Carbs: 175 to 200g
    Fats: 25 to 40 g
    Proteins; 108 to 120 g.

I have to eat more fats that I am suppose on slingshot week because I am not able to eliminate if I dont.

But the diet is ok for me as long as I eat every 3 hours. Usually, I get so mad before meals when I am hungry lolll but not on that diet. I think it's because eating at 3 hours let the insulin be constant in the blood .
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This fall, when my weight loss had slowed down after losing steadily at 1200 cals/day for several months, I tried Chris' plan. The way I did it was:

1200-1250 cals. low carb days
    1450-1500 cals. high carb days
    1650 on cheat day

It seemed to break me out of my plateau, but soon after starting the program I got a Fitbit, which inspired me to move a lot more during the day than I had been. After a few months, I started to feel really exhausted, dizzy during workouts, etc., and decided I needed to up my calories.

I set the plan aside for a while, eating 1650 a day consistently for a couple of months.

Just this week, I have decided to return to a lose version of the plan, basically 1-2 lower cal/lower carb days per week (these would also be less active days):

1350 low carb days
    1650-1700 high carb days
    I am not planning for a cheat day, but those banked calories will be there if an occasion comes up and I want to go over.

I find that, the way MFP is set up, it is easier to focus on hitting percentages for macros than a specific number of grams. I have my macros set on 40C/30F/30P. On low carb days, I just mentally flip the goal between carbs and fats, so 30C/40F/30P. It is really easy to glance at the pie chart and see where I need to make adjustments, without stressing over the gram numbers.

I like the idea of the 5:2 plan of fasting 2 days per week (500 cals. or so), but I just can't bear that, so this is my mini compromise between the two plans. It feels good to have a lighter day where I mostly eat vegetables and protein shakes, and cheese!