Leaning out + Improving performance Calories

Options
I'm confused as to whether I should be at a caloric deficit or at maintenance mode. I just want to get rid of a little bit of belly fat, to be honest. I also really want to improve my CrossFit performance. I only train 3x per week currently because that's how much my body can recover from.

Any ideas on calories + macros I should be consuming?

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    yes, stop worry about counting calories and start worrying about the quality of foods you put in your face.

I was at the point where I didn't want to lose any weight, but also wanted to get rid of a little belly fat. I kept my calories the same (actually I raised them a little) and ate strict paleo.

I leaned up within a month.
  • jpresson3
    Options
    I agree with MUALaurenClar about the eating. I haven't been able to go full Paleo yet but changing my eating habits has been huge for leaning out. I do crossfit three days a week and spin/HIIT two days. I dont care about weight just inches because I want the lean look. Maybe someday we can all get there. LOL
  • SRoss143
    Options
    Does switching to full Paleo really make that much of a difference?? I think I will really have a hard time giving up certain foods, like potatoes, cheese, and MILK! I'm a bonafied "milk-a-holic!" Was it hard for you to make the switch, MUALaurenClar?
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Does switching to full Paleo really make that much of a difference?? I think I will really have a hard time giving up certain foods, like potatoes, cheese, and MILK! I'm a bonafied "milk-a-holic!" Was it hard for you to make the switch, MUALaurenClar?

I've never tried paleo and have no strong feelings towards it one way or the other, but I do feel very strongly about finding a way of eating (rather than a 'diet') that fits within your lifestyle, your likes/dislikes and is sustainable for you. There's no point, in my opinion, trying something that deprives you of so many things you like and enjoy that you end up 'failing' and going back to old habits.
    I'm vegetarian so paleo is not realistic for me, hence why I've never tried it.

I follow Eat To Perform which is essentially a way of cycling carbs around training, to enhance fat burning when you're not training and also fuelling your workouts with the right kinds of carbs. There are no restricted foods, so you could do it as a paleo if you wanted, but it's much more flexible to each person.

I know some people that have tried palo and were constantly lethargic and couldn't train properly, and I know other people who feel amazing and see great results. So it's different for everyone. But if you asked me, I wouldn't recommend giving up dairy if it's something you really enjoy and will leave you feeling deprived. You could go semi-paleo, keeping dairy in the mix, and see how you go. Some paleo people still eat sweet potatoes, others don't, so I think that's a matter of choice.

There is no single method that will work for everyone so you might need to commit some time to trying different methods for 2-3 months each and see what works for you.
    But whichever way you go, I wouldn't go into a calorie deficit if you're just wanting to lose a little fat but gain muscle and strength. Focus on the types of foods you eat, and when you eat them too.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options

omg, HUGE difference.

my body fat went from 27% to 16% within about 2 months. My working out level stayed exactly the same as it was before. Food.is.everything. when it comes to how you actually look. well not *everything*, but at least 85%.

yes it was definitely hard, but worth it! I now do it about 90% of the time, and it's much easier to maintain eating that way than feeling like I have to be so strict about it
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    I would try the "Primal" way of eating before going strict paleo. it's basically paleo plus dairy.
  • moolovesme
    Options
    Any opinions on paleo vs zone?
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    apples and oranges.

Think of Zone as eating to be a better athlete, and think of Paleo as simply feeding your body QUALITY healthy foods.

You can make a Zone meal out of a slim jim and chips (protien, fat, carbs perfectly proportioned depending on your serving size of each). It's going to fuel you great for a wod..but is it quality food? no.

you can actually do paleo AND zone, which is what I try to do. It's probably the ultimate way to go and completely, easily, doable.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    you can actually do paleo AND zone, which is what I try to do. It's probably the ultimate way to go and completely, easily, doable.

On the CrossFit youtube channel they post cooking videos called "Constantly Varied Kitchen" and it seem they follow the paleo/zone mix, at least in the ones I have seen. Here is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7df6i2dZGq8
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    here's a nice read on paleo zone and how to get started with it http://crossfitfenrir.com/paleozone-dummies-part-ii-step-step-guide-started/
  • SRoss143
    Options
    Thanks for all the informative facts!! I will definitely look into the "primal" diet as a jumping off point for the switch!
  • moolovesme
    Options
    Yup, thanks for the facts everyone.. Gonna have to clean up my diet now.. :D