Best distraction for evening snacking?

Options
I am great during the day at work, very regimented. After dinner the ol' sweet tooth kicks in and I NEED something sweet, which usually leads to another something sweet. Any advice for curbing this urge? :embarassed:

Replies

• kdeste
    Options
    I have the same cravings! I can't say I have a great solution... my best way to combat it has been to not have sweet snacks in the house, but now with two kids that hardly ever happens! :ohwell: I've kept sweeter cereals in the house so I'll go for a bowl of granola with some chocolate chips or Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal. It gives me a little sweet, but with some added nutrients and fiber.
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    More to drink, and doing something to distract you, whether its weights and a good Disney film with the kids
  • disneybrass
    Options
    I would like to have no sweets in the house, but hubby has different ideas. He was raised having dessert every night or "a little something" with coffee. Plus, he likes a piece of candy after dinner. The kicker is - he never gains weight! Unfortunately for me, if it's there - it calls to me!!! LOL! I have been trying to have some green tea with Splenda right after I eat dinner then brushing my teeth right away.
  • thinktink272
    Options
    I taught myself to crochet, just to have my hands busy while watching tv. It works well because if I am concentrating on the work in progress, I am not thinking of how good something from the fridge would taste.
  • Nikki_7680
    Options
    I agree with the person that mentioned eating cereal. I will have a bowl of Special K with Strawberries and it helps my sweet tooth and the need to snack.

I do agree with you that the evening is where my day goes South. I can be good all day long but the moment I am home and sitting, I start looking for something to eat!!
  • auntiecr63
    Options
    I try not to keep snacks, but once in awhile I buy a bag of the sugar free Russel Stovers Chocolate Pecan Delights or Weight Watcher Pecan Crowns. I'm not a fan of sugar free sweets, but I do like these and one or two satisfies my sweet cravings! Other than that, I keep fruit on hand.
  • Geekygal85
    Geekygal85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am also doing weight watchers and they have a line of different ice cream bars that are low in calories but can satisfy a sweet tooth. I know I use them when I get that late night sweets craving
  • fluffychick73
    fluffychick73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I usually have a handful of raisins or something like that to help curb the temptation. I also found a recipe on Pinterest for some sugarless, flourless cookies that I really like and will make those once in a while to help.

"Cookie" recipe is:

2 - ripe bananas
    1 cup oats

Mash bananas and then mix oats into mashed bananas. Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake at 350º for 12-15 minutes.

The first time I made them I added some raisins and a few chocolate chips to the mix and they were really good. This last time I made them I had 3 ripe bananas, so I did those 1-1/2 cups of oats, about 1/2 cup of raisins and added 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder. Instead of doing cookies I lined a loaf pan with parchment paper and just poured the mixture into that and baked. Cut it into about 8 bars. Calories on this last batch (8 bars) came out to about 150 per bar.
  • disneybrass
    Options
    Ooooo, fluffychick73 - that sounds great! I like the idea with the chocolate protein powder!
    I also considered the WW ice cream, but want to keep the artificial sweeteners to a minimum, I will have to check out how much is in those.
  • moleighsmom
    moleighsmom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like Werther's sugar free caramels. You get 5 for 25 calories. Since they're a hard candy you can suck on them for a long while.
  • spritna
    Options
    It doesn't work so much now in this bitter cold, but in warmer months I like to take bananas and slice them up, put on a cookie sheet and put a little dab of peanut butter on each one and freeze. Then once frozen I store in the freezer and they are ready when I am. Another thing I like to do is to remove a bunch of green grapes from their stems, put in a ziplock baggie, and pour in a packet of sugarfree lime jello mix. Shake. They are sort of like sour patch kids without the guilt.
  • fluffychick73
    fluffychick73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Spritna, That sounds awesome! I have done the sliced frozen bananas, but never with the peanut butter. Will definitely have to try the grapes too. I usually just freeze those and eat the frozen, although like you I kind of prefer to do that in the summer.
  • millsjab
    Options
    I just now joined because I want to get serious with my Weight Watchers again. It has been the best way I've found to lose weight, and you eat well. -- To answer your question, my husband and I used to eat lots of "jazzed up" jello. I would mix 2 small sugar-free jellos (usually a strawberry or some other type of berry) with 3 c. water. Then, after it begins to gel, add some mashed up bananas and sliced strawberries or drained crushed pineapple. When jello is ready, add a topping of 1 cup of plain, fat-free yogurt sweetened (or mixed) with 6-7 packs of Splenda. Hope you'll try it!!! Hardly any calories! :)
  • Nikki_7680
    Options
    I am so going to try the grapes with jello! I wonder if strawberries would work too??

I have not tried it yet, but have seen bananas drizzled with honey and cinnamon. Something else that sounds like it might cure the sweet tooth!
  • Mishka0321
    Options
    I make my own low cal hot chocolate with almond milk, stevia and unsweetened cocoa powder :]
  • tapdance66
    Options
    I crochet too.
    And whenever I crave a ton of snackfood - - I pop a piece of peppermint gum and chew on it for a while before heading towards the panty. I read somewhere that peppermint can help to snap cravings and it seems to work for me. I chew a lot of gum. :)

A lady at work recently told me that she eats pickles to stop her chocolate cravings. apparently the brine is supposed to stop them. She says it works for her but I just don't know if I could eat that many pickles.