Is anyone training for their fist marathon?

Options
I'm running my first marathon at the end of April! I've completed two half marathons already and decided to bite the bullet and do a full. I'm looking to lose between 10-15 lbs. Looking for MFP friends with similar goals, feel free to add me :)

Replies

• RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am currently training for my first Half Marathon, it is going to be next month. But I always like to add running friends and share experiences and learn from others. I am also trying to loose weight as well.

Feel free to add me
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first marathon that is scheduled for the first week of October. I started running almost exactly a year ago and I've ran 2 10ks and a half trail marathon. I'm trying to figure out what to do to transition into a marathon ramp up when I have a whole 8 months to go, most of the plans i see aren't more than 12-16 weeks...
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Dave - Just my 2 cents - do another half or 2 in the Spring, then transition to fall marathon training in the summer for a fall marathon. Maintaining this base will prepare you for the summer when you basically will start adding longer runs to prep for 26.2
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm not formally training yet... my first full is November 17th, but I've completed 6 HMs in the last two years and am building my base up in the first half of this year so I'll really be ready for the full training program.

I'm currently up to 30 miles per week, and I'll slowly bring that up to 35ish MPW by July.

I plan to do one half as part of my training program for the full, and will probably pick up one or two other HMs in the first half of the year if it ever warms up again.

:)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My first marathon isn't until the first weekend of November. I'm going to do two 16-week marathon training plans starting in April. In the meantime I'm just slowly building up for a HM in later March.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first marathon in May (OC Marathon, Anyone??) I will add you...it's always nice having new MFP friends working on the same goals :)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first marathon in october!

Right now I'm training for a 30km (18.64 miles) race at the end of march, then I'm doing 2 half marathons (end of april, end of may) then the real training begins!

I'll probably do another half at the end of august too.

FUN FUN FUN!!! :)

If you want to add me, I love new friends.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Im running my first in 10 years, and only my second overall; so its like my first. Would lobe some virtual training peeps so feel free to add me! Have a half marathon this weekend.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Dave - Just my 2 cents - do another half or 2 in the Spring, then transition to fall marathon training in the summer for a fall marathon. Maintaining this base will prepare you for the summer when you basically will start adding longer runs to prep for 26.2

Thanks for the advice - I'm running a 10 miler this spring. Last year I did a 10k for the 4th of july, but there is a half marathon I could sign up for this year... would help me get a feel for my pace.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I haven't registered for a full marathon yet, but my current longest long run is 20 miles. I have run 3 half marathons since the end of September and I have 4 other halfs scheduled this year; 2 in April, 1 in July, 1 in September. I lost 100 pounds last year, reset my ticker, and would like to lose another 30.

I'd like to know I can confidently run 26.2 before I register. I know to some that sounds crazy, but I personally think that 10k difference between 20 miles and a full marathon is a BIG one!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My first 26.2 is going to be in October and I am hoping to finish it with the same pace I ran the half last year. Always looking for others with similar ambitions = )
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first marathon which is on June 15.

I ran my first half last October, and I have another half on May 4th. I took a training plan and modified it so that I'll end up with 3 20 mile training runs.

Just yesterday my training plan had me at 13.1 miles and it builds slightly then a lower week, building etc. So far I'm loving every minute of it!
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My first marathon is March 30th. I have been running for 2 years. In that time I have raced 3 half marathon's and a few smaller races. Throughout this past summer, fall, & early winter I maintained a base of 30-40 miles/week with a weekly long run of 10-13 miles. Jumped up to marathon training in late December and so far so good. I have two 20 mile long runs under my belt now and despite some sore muscles afterwards everything is going according to plan.

I don't post much on here but I read a lot. I've picked up some great training advice from our resident marathoners and look forward to utilizing their marathon race advice in a few more weeks.

Good Luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Right now training for a half-marathon in May and then training for my first marathon in October.....
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Going for my first marathon in the beginning of May. I was going to dive in last year but my base running wasn't strong enough. I have since been running 20-25 miles per week until jumping into my 30 week training plan. Mileage is over 30 a week now. I will also be running my first half marathon race at the end of March. I have done plenty of my own, but just haven't raced yet. Found some nice races on the Atlantic Coast in New England. Good luck.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have my first coming up in Pittsburgh May 4, I have only done a relay and a tough mudder
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 2 of an 18 week marathon plan! This will be my first full and I am so excited! I have been running for almost a year and a half
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow! Love to see all of you training for your first marathon! This time last year, I was in the same boat - and during that first marathon, I told myself NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! But then, within the week after I finished that marathon, I had already signed up for a fall marathon. Then I did another three weeks after that. Marathon #4 is coming up at the end of April. Marathon #5 will be in July and I may sneak a 50K in between the two (jury is still out on that one).

In any case, feel free to add me. Even though I've done them before, I still go through the whole training cycle - and I don't know what plan you're following - but this is the point in my plan where it starts to feel grueling.

Good luck to everyone training for their first! It's an amazing accomplishment and you will forever marvel at what you were able to do.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in November, and I'm signed up for my first full marathon for Labor Day weekend! In general, I'm not very active on the forums, but I'm a supportive friend -- feel free to add me. :)
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am going to run my 1st Marathon in October (trail). I will be running my 3rd HM in April and am training to increase my speed for that right now. I however feel that breaking that dreaded 10MM will kill me ugh After my HM I will start training for my Full might even add another HM mid summer. To be honest I am scared to death about the mileage. It is a total mind thing for me as I cant imagine in my head running 26 miles (looking at it like running from one town to the other). I have to though this is my goal is to run at least one in my lifetime and this is the year. I will do it or die trying.

Questions for anyone who has already completed one. Should I focus more just on the mileage and thats it and don't worry about the pace (I know the answer with it being my first is yes)? Anyone have any good plans that only focus on mileage and not pace? I have one by Jeff Gaudette thats on RunKeeper.

Everyone add me!