Season 4 - Ep. 9 - Mid Season Premiere

Options
AnaNotBanana
AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
This thread serves as a place to discuss speculation, and then reaction to the 02/09/14 episode

PLEASE REMEMBER TO NOT DISCUSS COMIC BOOK SPOILERS IN EPISODE/SEASON THREADS

AMC Sneak Peek:

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/mid-season-premiere-trailer-the-walking-dead-season-4

171cafaf-c802-49c6-9cb3-b22dfa1e33e6_The-Walking-Dead-S4B-Key-Art_zps89b49bbe.jpeg

Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I desperately need TWD back in my life! :sad:
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I read the thread title and got all excited that it was back! Damn you :laugh:
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    So, so bummed it's still a month away! :sad:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    :love: LOVE that promo :love: Can't hardly wait for it to get here!
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    Since the governers GF died I am bumbed.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    3 more days, woop woop!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    How will you watch? Any special plans?
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am totally avoiding responsibility today and watching the marathon leading up to the premiere lol. My homework can always wait until tomorrow :P I'm so excited! I'm curious who will be making an appearance in the first episode.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Excellent episode tonight. Love Carl the "teen years" - want's to be an adult and hates his father, but still very venerable and scared. Loved his reaction when he went into the bedroom in the house - you could tell he wanted to jump back into that vibe. Love that Michonne overcame the zombie herd and chose to live again.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Loved the episode. I could understand Carl's rage. Rick's leadership has been lacking. Loved how the Carl came full circle to realizing while he is a badass, he still needs his father.

I just don't understand the magic of having two pet zombies. With two pet zombies none of the zombies notice Michonne even when the pets are a bit far from her like they were in the woods and even when she's walking right next to them close enough for them to smell her as non-zombie. But at the prison when she's walking toward's Hershel's head every zombie spotted her as live meat. In Season One, Glenn and Rick had to smear themselves with entrails and gore when they outside in downtown Atlanta. But now all you need are two pet zombies.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    It was a great coming of age episode for Carl and for Michonne too in a way. He grew up...went through a typical teen rebellion...thinking he knows everything, cocky, doesn't need Rick. He vented big time. It was about time! He's been through A LOT including losing his mother, losing friends, seeing a lot of death and horror.....and he finally exploded and said how he felt to Rick who has made a lot of mistakes. And the result was a full circle moment and realizing he can't do it alone and didn't want to without his father.

And Michonne was able to see that living was preferable. Being vulnerable, caring about people and choosing to live was better than that zombie version of herself she saw...and she made the decision to live and care about people.

I can't imagine going through what they've gone through and imagining how I would survive and get through it. Especially losing a child!! To make that decision to go from auto pilot, survival mode to being alive and allowing yourself to care again is terrifying and she did it. Amazing.

As far as the armless/jawless walkers..they explained that last season. You cut off their jaw and the ability to eat..and they lose interest in doing so. Maybe it's a part of the disease that just makes you want to chew and eat and bite...and if they can't do that, they become almost docile. Like when you neuter a pet...they lost that drive. How she's able to walk like that without the others noticing, I'm not sure. But they are brain dead, auto pilot animals...and she is walking among the other walkers..so it's not until she makes a "Human" move....that they notice her.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I loved the flashback to Michonne's previous life, but it made me so sad she had and lost a baby. I figured that was the case when she didn't want to hold Judith a few episodes back.

Wonder how long it will take everyone to find their way back together.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Greg Nicotero is a genius. This was an amazing episode. Danai and Chandler were fantastic!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Dang! I just started another thread because I couldn't find this one.
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    I LOVED the way that the episode started, coming through the smoke to an overhead shot of the ruined prison. But my heart was quickly broken when Michonne found Herschel's zombie head. That part definitely had me tearing up. I was sad to see her giving up and just becoming part of the zombie horde. I'm glad that she finally realized that she didn't want to just be like a zombie. Plus the scene of her killing all those zombies was pretty bad *kitten*.

I’m really conflicted with Carl. Part of me wants him to mind his father and be a kid. The other part of me knows that he needs to be the way that he is so that he can survive. I think this episode really did a good job of showing how Carl is struggling with those two sides of himself. He wants to be a little bad *kitten* that can take care of himself but ultimately he’s still a kid that wants and needs his dad around.

I'm glad that we got a somewhat happy ending with Michonne and Rick and Carl coming back together. I can't wait to see where everyone else has managed to end up.
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    I loved the flashback to Michonne's previous life, but it made me so sad she had and lost a baby. I figured that was the case when she didn't want to hold Judith a few episodes back.

Remember when she told Andrea that her "pets" got what they deserved? I wonder if they had something to do with her son dying and that's why she said that to Andrea. I'm glad that we're finally getting some of Michonne's back story.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I was so pissed at Carl when he started mouthing off but the moment I saw his reaction to what was probably a teenager's room in the house they were staying in - I felt for him. The TV, video games, posters...realization of what his life should be versus what it actually is.

Loved the episode, can't wait to catch up with everyone else.

Hershel's zombie head broke my heart all over again. :(
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Remember when she told Andrea that her "pets" got what they deserved? I wonder if they had something to do with her son dying and that's why she said that to Andrea. I'm glad that we're finally getting some of Michonne's back story.

That's a good question! I figured out one guy was her lover/husband/boyfriend but who was the other? I thought maybe they were her brothers when we first saw them but maybe I just missed it..