pre op diet

Options
Hi all I'm getting sleeved 2/21/14 and start the 10 day protein liquid only diet tomorrow. any suggestions on how others got through this? ...I have a feeling it's going to be a cranky 10 days for me! thanks for your help :)

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to do a pre-op diet... but my suggestion is, don't be cranky! Just do it. Your diet will be restricted again after your surgery, and it will be easier to deal with all of it if you don't go into it thinking you are going to be cranky.
  • teachren
    Options
    Be thankful it was only 10 days! Mine was 21 but I wouldn't take back one of them...and it was hard.

I was on only liquids, broth, water, and 1 cup of a homemade vegetable soup a day. I dropped about 25 pounds in those 3 weeks and it really prepared me for the restrictions in the month after VSG. Even though you're dropping water weight you get pumped up and motivated when you see pounds drop off! Focus on that!

There is no easy way out. You just have to suck it up and do it. It helps to get your mind into the whole process. It will be a lot easier to be completely off the carbs well before your surgery. I think the hardest part was about the first 5 days...then it got a lot easier. It was never fun...but I knew it had to be done.

I am truly on the low carb band wagon to really maximize your weight loss you have to restrict them early on. Now that I am 9 months out this week it is getting a lot more difficult to see a drop on the scale.

Was I cranky? I guess I must have been...I'll have to check with my husband on that one. Look...you just have to do it. If you're not prepared for a 10 day liquid fast...you're not prepared to have surgery! :-)

I would say...put on your big girl panties and embrace chicken broth! :-)

Good luck...you'll not regret the decision to have VSG if you really put all you've got into losing the weight.
  • sunshine518
    Options
    I am for sure ready! I know it will be a challenge but a challenge work going through in the end. some people have told me that after day 3 it isn't as bad but said that they did experience headaches and not feeling well while on only liquids before surgery. I'm sure everyone is different and I will take it a day at a time and keep my eye on the prize. thanks :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, I too was worried about the 2 week pre-op diet I had to do, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I ever thought it could be. I really think it was all the extra protein and water intake that kept me feeling fuller than I anticipated. It really wasn't hard at all.
    And in the end, it's so worth it in making the surgery easier to do which makes recovery so much faster, and the results of the sleeve, well I can't say enough about how great the whole thing is! Good luck with everything and remember, the pre-op diet is the start of a great journey with a tool that if properly used will give you the healthy body and lifestyle you want.
  • sunshine518
    Options
    thank you! it's day 2 and not bad at all! thanks for the encouraging words! :)
  • mmanley0003
    Options
    I just had my surgery 2/4 and went through the diet. no caffeine defiantly gave me headaches but after that first week I was fine. it has made after surgery much easier. good luck!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Check your pre-op plan for puddings. I was a BEAR until we realized sugar free Jello pudding was on the plan, unlimited quantities. Needless to say my lovely wife and children kept handing me pudding until we were through the pre-op.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sugar free fudge sickles!! Sugar free jello jigglers