post op - feeling like a failure

I had my sleeve done on January 16th ... the morning of surgery I weighed in at 280.1 and two weeks before I weighed in at 292.6... today Feb 5th is three Weeks post op and I weigh 269.2. I am feeling I should have went with my gut and had the bypass instead of the sleeve. I don't know what to do. I lost the first 10 pounds post surgery within a few days and since then it has been a few ounces. Every little thing I ate made me full within like two three bites now I just feel hungry all the time... I am probably not eating enough of anything especially protein and I should be drinking more water but I just feel like I am starving myself and not losing anything ... I'm afraid that I told everyone I was having this surgery and I had such high hopes and nothing is happening and I'm going to just be a big failure. I haven't gotten to do any crazy workout yet because I have also been dealing with horrible back pain since surgery that I never had before.. has anyone else experienced anything like this .... Please help tell me what to do and I will. I was thinking that maybe I should just do 2 30 gram of protein shakes a day and 2 18 of protein yogurts a day with water all day and maybe that will jump start the loss but I don't know how healthy that will be I just have such a hard time with meat... anyway please help.

Replies

• csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    I am 17 months post-bypass surgery. I'll be honest, it gets hard sometimes, especially the first few weeks after surgery. For me, I had two weeks of liquids, plus protein shakes, then had 6 weeks of mushy/soft foods. At this stage in the game, you should be concentrating on protein and water. You tummy is still fairly swollen due to the work they did and the long staple lines. Constantly sip that water. You should be drinking an absolutely minimum of 64 oz (8 cups) of water. Water helps to flush out all the junk and does actually help you lose weight. In the beginning, my surgical group had me drinking 3 shakes a day, plus three meals of about 2 oz each. These meals should be protein heavy. Low sugar, low fat greek yogurt is a good option, or soft meats. I even did canned hash for a bit too. The idea is to eat soft foods that can be chewed easily. I wasn't eating chicken, and full on meat until about 7 weeks post-surgery. I know that my surgical group and a longer liquid and mushy phase for the patients that chose the sleeve than those that chose the bypass. I'd skip the meat for now. Don't push boundaries right now, that will come with time. You have to let that tummy heal up.

They wanted me getting at least 50 gm of protein via supplements. I use a protein powder that is 22 gm of protein per scoop. I would have 2 shakes with 1.5 scoops each, then I would have a third with just as scoop. That is about 88 gm for protein from just supplements. The other twenty or so would come from my meals.

However, this is what worked for me. It was stressed that protein and water are very important. Make sure you are getting adequate protein and water and that should help you. If you are very concerned about it, then I highly suggest giving your medical team a call. My surgical group has 3 dietitians on staff who are available to answer questions like this just about anytime.

Here is the information my group gave me: http://www.bluepointgroup.com/nutrition/picking-a-protein-supplement/
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I am only 11 wks out and I am just barely getting to where I can eat meat that isn't ground and extremely moist without extreme discomfort. Like you I was extremely bloated after surgery. Wasn't losing as fast as I would have thought based on the 350 -650 calories I was eating. My body was just in shock. I was slammed right into starvation mode. I listened to all the advice and just focused on protein and water. The better I reached my goals the faster my wt loss became. My body just had to give in. You are just at the classic 3 wk stall. I did add fiber gummies to my regimen. I was so constipated that I lost 5 lbs in 1 wk. I have lost 54 lbs in 78 days while aiming for 750 calories /60 G protein/64 oz h20. Sometimes I go a whole wk and scale barely budges. I wouldn't compare to bypass surgery. They go thru the same thing at 3 wks too. Most of us don't have these amazing 90 lbs in 90 days that we hear about. I felt the same symptoms of depression but I prayed to accept the process. This is the work you hear so many people talk about. It is work to stick to the regimen day after day even when the scale doesn't move. We are here to support you and let you know that if you stick to it your body will give in and start digesting your fat. Though I have lost the 54 lbs in 11 wks I hear from others that the last 50 lbs to my normal BMI will likely take me a year to achieve. Every lb I lose is a lb I am not carrying around. I don't worry about it . I just stick to the plan. If I only lose 4 lbs a month but they are permanently gone I really don't mind the wait. Keep strong!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    I am only 3 1/2 days post-op and still have a tremendous amount of gas and heaviness in my chest area, particularly after I ingest anything. The heating pad and showers are my best friends (heating pad only on backside). I am following the post-op instructions to the letter and carry around a pillow constantly to brace against my abdomen.

Freezing the protein shakes, puddings and yogurt to some degree helps me feel fuller as it changes the texture and takes longer to eat. To get the Protein I require I am using Isolate Whey Protein Elite Series in Decadent Chocolate (40g protein) per scoop. At this point I can only have about 1-2 ounces at a time, so I can use the remainder throughout the day to get in my 5 - 6 meals.

I have no idea how much I weigh and at this point don't place much stock in that measurement as I am still bloated from the gas. Keep remembering a "BABY STEPS, BABY STEPS". Like in the Bill Murray movie 'What About Bob'?

Don't feel like a failure - you are at the very beginning of this drastic lifestyle change. Everyone's body chemistry and weight loss experience is going to differ and the idea of losing a tremendous amount of weight in such a short time in unrealistic. We also need to be at a point where we feel well enough to bring back the exercise component. If you love the water, swimming is the best overall body workout even if you are just treading water.

I think you are doing GREAT!!! Keep up the good work. If you continue to have hunger problems, PLEASE contact you health professional staff and ask them for guidance. That's why they are there.
  • I am almost 4 weeks out from surgery and have severe depression. I have lost abut 45 lbs but really feel crummy. Having a hard time getting the protein and water in on a daily basis. Lots of nausea and no real desire to put anything in my stomach. Is this a normal feeling this close to surgery? I keep having thoughts like "Why did I do this to myself?" I'm told by everyone that I did the right thing in having the surgery but I'm having doubts? Anyone else go through this stage? I find myself bursting into tears. Not good for a 6"2" guy. Help!
  • This is all normal. I am now 3 months out and I still sometimes have days like this.
    Just give it time. Things get easier, mentally you have to catch up, physically your body doesn't know what's going on.
    Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone is different and everyone's journey is different. :)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    This is all normal. I am now 3 months out and I still sometimes have days like this.
    Just give it time. Things get easier, mentally you have to catch up, physically your body doesn't know what's going on.
    Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone is different and everyone's journey is different. :)

The important thing to remember is that it is a journey. Your mind may be ready for the changes, but it takes time for the body to adjust. There were many times had felt self-pity and wondered why I would ever consider such a drastic option. I found that concentrating on the tasks at hand helped for me. I'd concentrate on drinking that protein shake, or slowly eating that 2 oz of soft food. Unfortunately these things just take time. You have to try and get all the protein and water in you can. It will actually help you to feel better. If things having gotten better in about a week or so, I certainly contact your medical team and see if they have any other suggestions.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I have to be very careful to slowly eat my moist protein at the beginning of the meal. If I start with anything starchy like beans I will get queasy. I will also get nauseous if I eat my meat too fast or don't chew it well enough. Many foods just don't get along with me now. Food can only be mildly hot. Soups at restaurants are entirely too starchy and make me nauseous. At 12 wks I still try to eat too fast- resulting in nausea. I used to get down about it but I remind myself that I don't get emotional medication from food anymore. Food is fuel and every day I find what will work in my new lifestyle. I have lost 55 lbs in 12 wks and can buy clothes anywhere now. Other than thinking about protein and hydration I don't spend time obsessing about my next meal. Aside from the initial fatigue and occasional nausea I feel great. I can walk forever and not get fatigued, stairs don't bother me anymore. My sleep is so much better. If you can really get in the protein and water you will feel better faster. Stick with it. Good luck!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    I think you are doing exceedingly well only one month post-op. Right now I have barely any appetite, but I have set an alarm on my phone to go off every 2 1/2 hours to remind me to ingest something whether I want to or not. Protein first and fiber. Remember milk counts as a meal and decaf coffee, tea, etc., toward liquid intake.

Hang in there - I hope to be doing as well as you in a couple weeks.