P90X3 not working?

Options
I've read some forums lately and a few people are not seeing the desired results from X3. And I can totally empathize.

But I was reminded how accustomed we are to quick fixes and instant results. If we don't see anything noticeable within the first month or two, we get discouraged. I've been there. To be honest, I'm sort of there now.

When it comes to health and fitness, I myself cannot trust a 60 day or 90 day program to get me where I need to be and be done with it. I have to make the decision to push play EVERY DAY from here on out; way pass the 90 days. To get the results I want, I need to make it a life change.

It's not easy but anything worth having doesn't come easy.

So those of you who are not seeing the results after week 3, week 5, week 9 or wherever you are...just keep going. Finish the program. And then do it again or do another program. Believe it or not, you've gained so much ground already.

Just keep going :)

Replies

• Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that.
  • guitarguy310
    guitarguy310 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree. I use these programs as a starting point. I've done P90x3 for 4 weeks now...and I feel like I'm short changing myself...mainly because P90X 1 is so more intense. So now I'm lifting heavy three nights a week and either filling in a P90X3 workout or some cardio every day...when I can. Remember, which is always the hardest for me, diet is everything! I've seen it a million times, you can out eat your exercise. In summary, stick to a plan that works for you and go from there. Then make your own plan which inevitably turns into a lifestyle \m/
  • jsantus
    jsantus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you are all taking progress pics as well. I know it's corny and I didn't take them back when I did P90X, but I'm taking them this time around and I see improvement between my week 1 and week 6 pics that I didn't see on the scale or in the mirror.

BTW Guitarguy. . . Fender or Gibson?
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think its also important for people to also honestly ask themselves why they think P90X3 isn't working? Is switching programs, diets, a lead up to quitting? procrastinating? stalling? Are you just making an excuse? "Oh, it wasn't doing what I wanted, I need to find something else," how many weeks do you just sit there waiting on your butt while you try and figure out what they next fix for you is going to be, when any of the last ten things you tried would work if you just stuck with it.

Our bodies need consistency, and that's something the mind provides. Steel yourself against yourself. You can do this, you just need to be mentally prepared.

It is EXACTLY like it is in rock climbing. When you need to make a BIG reach for the next hold, if you THINK you can't make it you will automatically retract your hand before full extension, normally resulting in a fall down the rock face. Now you are further down then you were, you have to climb back to where you were, and jump for the next hold again. Extend yourselves, folks, stop being afraid because that's a choice you can make. Don't worry about numbers, you made those up any ways. Focus on the positive. Do your best and forget the rest.
  • michmich68
    michmich68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It didn't take us 60-90 days to get in the position we are in now, so we shouldn't expect the same on the reverse side. I remind myself of this simple fact every single day.

It's a lifestyle change and every day I feel better, stronger and have more energy. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think its also important for people to also honestly ask themselves why they think P90X3 isn't working? Is switching programs, diets, a lead up to quitting? procrastinating? stalling? Are you just making an excuse? "Oh, it wasn't doing what I wanted, I need to find something else," how many weeks do you just sit there waiting on your butt while you try and figure out what they next fix for you is going to be, when any of the last ten things you tried would work if you just stuck with it.

Our bodies need consistency, and that's something the mind provides. Steel yourself against yourself. You can do this, you just need to be mentally prepared.

I thought this for a few minutes. I honestly did. Is this program really doing what I thought it would do. Thinking back to P90X, I saw small changes after first month, second month was better, and third month..wow! Your in the middle of a 90 day program, not a 30 day or 60 day. I see changes, they are not what I thought they would be but they are there. Our body doesn't lose the bodyfat where we want it too. If it did there would a hole lot of healthy fit people. Its a journey, not a race.

Do you think a guy wakes up one morning and says "I think I will be a bodybuilder!" and the next day he's Jay Cutler. This takes time, P90X3 takes time, 90 days to be exact. Keep your diet clean! Keep your workouts burning 400-600 cal. per workout (although, Im never even close to that on yoga). And keep replenishing your body with post workout recovery (P90X results and recovery) works great, but in a pinch I use others too.

You will get there, and like me, do it again after 90 days, then on to body beast!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I totally agree in the keep going part, but keep going doesn't mean keep going with THIS exact thing.
    Honestly I do not understand how is switching from one hard core program to an other can ever be considered quitting, wimping out or expecting instant results???

Tony constantly saying on every single workout, that you need to challenge YOURSELF. Do what works for YOU. If this means modifying movements, or even workouts so be it. For beginners it may means to use resistance bands instead of pullup bar. For more advanced people, this may means substitute P90X3 strength training workouts with harder iron pumping, or trade some cardio days for running for others. There is nothing wrong with any of that. It may happen that this particular program turn out not good fit for you, go try an other one, nothing is wrong with that either.

I am doing P90X3 , but I didn't buy it; my friend did. She did one week, she hated it, injured herself doing it, and gave it to me. As an exchange I gave her my collection of Jillian Michaels DVDs .Now she is happily working out for those DVD 5 times a week. It is nothing wrong with that! Exercising should be fun too. The best exercise what YOU actually like , because if you like it, you will keep doing it and it becomes a lifelong habit.
    If it is p90x3 , that is great. If it is an other program, that is great too. Keep going ! on YOUR way!
  • groundhawg
    Options
    I absolutely agree Redheadmommy, but I see a lot of people on this forum say "Its been four weeks..." and its important to not get discouraged, but have the correct mindset. Ive been doing this for TWO YEARS, and I still modify some movements, its just important for people to be realistic about their goals, capabilities, and honest with themselves.

My Mom always said she hated working out, I always encouraged her to try new things belly dance, zumba, yoga, walking, ANYTHING. Anything is better than nothing. But I see people constantly say, "Oh this isn't working for me" and instead of switching to a different program, they slow down, and eventually quit. Everyone needs to do what makes them happy and healthy!
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I absolutely agree Redheadmommy, but I see a lot of people on this forum say "Its been four weeks..." and its important to not get discouraged, but have the correct mindset. Ive been doing this for TWO YEARS, and I still modify some movements, its just important for people to be realistic about their goals, capabilities, and honest with themselves.

My Mom always said she hated working out, I always encouraged her to try new things belly dance, zumba, yoga, walking, ANYTHING. Anything is better than nothing.
    But I see people constantly say, "Oh this isn't working for me" and instead of switching to a different program, they slow down, and eventually quit. Everyone needs to do what makes them happy and healthy!
    Well, P90x3 is not even 2 month old program, so nobody is doing it for 2 years ;) In this group nobody talked about quitting their weight loss program altogether, only changing this particular workout program was discussed. Not the same thing!

I also think the fact the program is brand new is part of the discouragement. There is not a whole lot of experience with this particular program out there. Yes, there is the test-group and 9 or 10 before/after was released , but normal folks never going to have those ideal conditions as the test group had.

If you google any other beachbody program like T25,P90x, insanity etc you see thousands of before /after pictures from everyday joes with detailed description on what they did. P90x3 is new, and there is literally not a single normal( non-test group) person who ever finished the program yet. So when you do not see result, and keep reading the same thing from others both here and on the beachbody message board, of course you start to wonder. It is not a cult, people are allowed to question it. :)

There are a couple of people on my friend list who are doing lean schedule, and they are the only ones who really dropping the pounds doing P90x3. While the best result I have seen people following the classic is to see some definition. This making the schedule switch really appealing.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    So let me first say, I'm a runner first and a P90Xer second these days, but I have been using P90X3 on a slightly slower pace (~4 workouts a week or so) to stave off muscle loss from running.

It seems to be working. I got pinched by a professional at the beginning of January and this past Monday. I'm down 2lbs and ~1.8lbs of that was fat. Awesome. IMO its a great cross training program, from what I've seen so far.

That said, 30 minutes a day isn't a ton of calorie burning time. I would certainly encourage and extra 15-20 minutes of cardio for people using this program to really kill fat. For me, it's perfect, but I also spend 4+ hours running every week. I got skinny on the original P90X and Insanity, this stuff works. In fact, I still contend that a P90x/Insanity hybrid is the best way possible to get from flabby to fit in the beachbody catalogue. But, if you're short on time, I think P90X3 will get you a long way down the road, it's a good program.
  • groundhawg
    Options
    I meant doing P90X for two years. I saw people post the same thing about that program too. :)
  • groundhawg
    Options
    beeblebrox, any relation to Zaphod? :D
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    That said, 30 minutes a day isn't a ton of calorie burning time. I would certainly encourage and extra 15-20 minutes of cardio for people using this program to really kill fat. For me, it's perfect, but I also spend 4+ hours running every week. I got skinny on the original P90X and Insanity, this stuff works. In fact, I still contend that a P90x/Insanity hybrid is the best way possible to get from flabby to fit in the beachbody catalogue. But, if you're short on time, I think P90X3 will get you a long way down the road, it's a good program.
    I think you are right. I do believe the program is great to get fit, no question about that! It is just maybe the 30 minutes is not enough time by itself to burn enough calories. Especially the yoga and the dynamics day burns very little, and the strength training days also burn less than the cardio days. Again this maybe an other reason why the lean is more suitable for people aiming for more fat loss.

I think the other problem is that the nutrition guideline suggestions are way too generous in term of calories for a 30 minutes program. I am 206 lb ( started the program at 204 lb) female, want to lose weight. The nutrition guide suggests plan D (2400 calorie) for over 200 lb , and plan C( 2100 cal) for under 200 lb. Since i am close to the cut-off, I picked the lower one and set my calorie goal to 2100, but I think it is still too much to lose the fat. The difference between female and male in the P90x3 nutrition guide is only one point, which translate to 300 calorie difference. I think the difference in calorie expenditure is way more than 300 cals between a man and a women at the same weight.

Anyway, I started transition week, and I lowered my calories with 100 cal , and in 2 weeks I re-evaluate again. I maybe lower an other 100 calorie if there is still no weight loss.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    beeblebrox, any relation to Zaphod? :D

I do sass that hoopy frood.