oils?

Options
mtg81
mtg81 Posts: 18 Member
what the deal with oils? olive oil really? i see yes and no? whats your guys take. and if no... what do you cook with?

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    i use olive oil almost every day

or grapeseed oil
  • mtg81
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. :) what about protein/fat/carb ratio ? Thanks
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, almond oil, and coconut oil depending on the burning point I need. There is no such thing as low-fat oil or high-protein oil if that's what your last question was about. Oil is fat.
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i've been really trying to limit my oils as i'm trying to lose weight currently and would rather not add anymore fat than i need to. it gives me more calories to play with to make sure i stay full. it all depends on your goals. i saute in water or veg broth as much as i can.
  • VeganMotoGirl
    VeganMotoGirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil. But I try to use as little as possible. I am trying for 80/10/10. But to be honest most days lately are more like 70/20/10. I am still new at this and its hard to give up some of the fancy cooked meals I am used too. But the more I work at it and the more substitute recipes I find the better.
  • mtg81
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I only ask because I watched engine 2, a plant based cooking documentary. He said it was bad for you. Just wanted you guys take. Thanks
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I stay far away from all oils. Definitely not a health food in my eyes. Rather not have fat sludge in my blood stream. You can successfully sauté in water, just let it heat up enough before tossing in your veggies.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I use olive, coconut, and sesame but in small amounts. I'm not convinced they're bad for you (unless you over-consume, but that's true of everything).
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Oils are to fat what white table sugar is to carbohydrate. Oil is pure fat with no nutrients, fiber or water. I avoid oil.
  • Kenazwa
    Options
    We do need essential fatty acids for good health; they aren't a total waste. Plus a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar on a salad is much lower on the list of evils than creamy dressing.
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is my go to; it has a higher burning point
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    We do need essential fatty acids for good health; they aren't a total waste. Plus a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar on a salad is much lower on the list of evils than creamy dressing.

You can get essential fatty acids from a variety of vegan foods.

Linoleic Acid (Omega 6 family)
    Vegetables
    Fruits
    Nuts
    Grains
    Seeds

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega 3 family)
    Flaxseeds (linseeds)
    Mustard seeds
    Hemp seeds
    Green leafy vegetables
    Grains
    Spirulina
  • Kenazwa
    Options

You can get essential fatty acids from a variety of vegan foods.

Linoleic Acid (Omega 6 family)
    Vegetables
    Fruits
    Nuts
    Grains
    Seeds

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega 3 family)
    Flaxseeds (linseeds)
    Mustard seeds
    Hemp seeds
    Green leafy vegetables
    Grains
    Spirulina

true that
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use olive, coconut, and sesame but in small amounts. I'm not convinced they're bad for you (unless you over-consume, but that's true of everything).

No, it's not. Has the doctor ever told you to not over do it on veggies? Nope.

Just because it's better than something else doesn't make it good.

Oil is a refined food. I'm not saying I don't use it from time to time, but it quickly slows me down and will even make my skin get acne.

I try to stay away.