Half Marathon Goal Advice

Options
Hi there! I am training for a Marathon on June 1st. This weekend I am running in a half marathon race that's on trail, but nothing too technical and moderate inclines. I am also trying to teach my body to run negative splits, which has been tough for me in the past. My last 20k training run 2 weeks ago was equal splits (which was progress). My last Half race time was 1:58 on road.
So...I'm struggling with what goals to set....treat as a training run, try and blow it out....??? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
(if you are a runner and like to share regularly - (ie: not a friend "collector"), feel free to add me.

Replies

• TheRunnerDad
    TheRunnerDad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If its your first trail race, I would definitely just use it as a training run...but make sure you have fun!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I have no experience trail running much less trail racing but I'm going to give my opinion anyway :laugh: :indifferent:

I would plan to use it as a training run and have a good time with it but if I was feeling good and the trail seemed pretty manageable I'd reserve the right to go ahead and change plans and go ahead and hit it. You've still got plenty of time before your Marathon so there won't be any issue with recovery or what have you.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have no experience trail running much less trail racing but I'm going to give my opinion anyway :laugh: :indifferent:

I would plan to use it as a training run and have a good time with it but if I was feeling good and the trail seemed pretty manageable I'd reserve the right to go ahead and change plans and go ahead and hit it. You've still got plenty of time before your Marathon so there won't be any issue with recovery or what have you.
    Thanks - that makes sense...I've run a fair amount of trail as I tend to train on it as the dirt is easier on my legs and the climbs and declines make me stronger. I was thinking maybe go out around 59 minutes for the first 10.5 k and then try and run anything faster than that for the back half?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Thanks - that makes sense...I've run a fair amount of trail as I tend to train on it as the dirt is easier on my legs and the climbs and declines make me stronger. I was thinking maybe go out around 59 minutes for the first 10.5 k and then try and run anything faster than that for the back half?

That sounds like a solid plan to me........ based on ALL my experience.