Best tips for eating well on a budet?

Options
I have dramatically cut back my hours at work in favour of a 4-year full-time degree.

Lets say we have $30-$60/week to spend on food.

1. don't eat out
2. ....buy a loaf of bread
3......... eat less?
4..... buy frozen vegetables and a big bag of rice....

I'm lost.. :(

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with "4". Brown rice is awesome topped with steamed veggies. I always have bags of frozen veggies - usually pick them up when they're on sale for $1 a bag. Invest in some herbs and spices and you can change it up from Japanese to Thai to Italian...so many flavors :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    And congrats on your decision to obtain more education!
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Look into buying in bulk. I've significantly lowered my grocery bill by buying in bulk. Check out wholesalers, buying clubs, and co-ops.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Buy generic when you can as well (look at the lower shelves). Second finding wholesalers. We have an aldis here and I shop there for most of our groceries. Making food for one person is not my forte, but if you make things like casseroles then you can freeze them for later meals. I buy beans,nuts, nutritional yeast in bulk. Things like tofu, meat/cheese substitutes, tvp, ect I buy maybe once a month and they will last me a good long while. I rarely buy sweets.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dani.. bulk,buyers clubs,stocking up & freezing your own meals / and fruits in season has helped me immensely. In the summer I grow some vegetables and herbs and then dry to use all year it rocks.( you can even put them in ice cube trays like basil for pesto..or sun dry tomatoes,or figs..Take some time with dried beans,ancient grains can be sprouted,buckwheat groats + potatoes ,lentils are so nutritious.it becomes a game after awhile. Best of Luck.. + Kudos on your decision";"::flowerforyou:
  • MessyArts
    MessyArts Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i always buy frozen fruit for my smoothies. (i also make little pre batched zip locks of single serving smoothie ingredients.) i give myself a 200 dollar budget for food a month so it is do-able. right now safeway has a 3 pound bag of frozen fruit for only 11 dollars. (: it also helps when you only have so many healthy things to choose from. i have a food processor so i make lots of hummus. it's really cheap and you can make your own variations. shredded cabbage slaws (tons of yummy recipes online), bean salads and homemade soups are cheap. i don't know where you live, but if there is a community garden around they will send you home with an awesome goodie box if you have enough time to help out every once in a while. i live in a pretty small apartment but have a nifty little standing garden for lettuce greens/tomatoes/herbs... it's a little early for that but growing your own food is so rewarding and really fast/easy. i also grow sprouts in a mason jar in my kitchen. awesome for salads and cucumber sammies! good luck!

ps. add me i need more motivators! :flowerforyou:
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Check out "plant-based on a budget" on facebook. They have meal plans and recipes for 1, 2, or 4 people for under $25 per week per person.

Best of luck to you!
  • dariazeoli
    dariazeoli Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions already.

A crock pot and/or pressure cooker is your friend. Soups, stews, chilis - you can make a big batch and have meals for the week. I tend to stock up on things during Shop Rite's "can can" sale - there is never a lack of canned tomatoes in my pantry.

Beans from scratch are inexpensive and - with a pressure cooker - ready in minutes. Lentils and the like are also cheap.

Limit processed foods - I am a big fan of Gardein, Daiya, and Beyond Meat, for example, but if you focus on too many of these foods, your food budget is going to be higher.

"Eat Vegan for $4 a Day" is a great book for tips on inexpensive meals.
  • unisheep
    unisheep Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Definitely , avoid prepared foods, fake meats, fake cheeses etc. if you are trying to save money!
    I get a lot of inspiration from the Happy Herbivore cookbooks: great low-fat and nonfat recipes that use supermarket ingredients.
    Don't feel you have to shop in health food stores: http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2013/03/12/going-vegan-walmart/ and http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=5760&catId=2

Unisheep/Mooncow
    http://weightlossveganstyle.blogspot.it/