trying phentermine

Options
Hello, just wanted to know if anyone tried phentermine and is it good for really getting the weight off quickly? I'm somewhat aggravated about this 4 year process. I have been trying for 4 years witth my husband to get pregnant and stay pregnant with a healthy baby/babies. I know I can get pregnant I have two dauhters and I've had four miscarriages. I realize I need to lose weight to make room in my body for my little ones to grow. I also take metformin, 500 mg a day, maca root, pre natal vitamins, and b112 vitamins. I'm trying to eat more fish for the omega3. So what else can I do? I have an appointment next week with the endocrinologist, so hopefully he will help out some. All advice will be heard and helpful. Thank you in advance

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin 500mg and my repro endo told me that for a women with PCOS that is way to low of a dose. He increased my dose to 2000mg a day. Also have you had your thyroid tested? if so what is your TSH at? If not asked to have it tested.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    ^^^ an increase in metformin is definitely worth looking into. I started at 1000 mg per day (500 twice a day). My hair stopped falling out but I didn't regain my cycles until I was increased to 2000 mg per day (1000 twice a day).
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I take xr........I find that having to take it twice a day I sometimes would forget as I couldnt take with thyroid meds (thyroid meds have to be taken by themself on a empty stomach
  • MissPhoenyx
    Options
    I was on Phentermine in 2009. I lost 65 lbs and kept it off for a year and half. My eating habits stayed the same only my workouts changed a bit. Needless to say, I've gained it all back plus some and I now have a MVR (my former doctor thinks it's from Phentermine). I just moved so, I'll see a new doctor to get a second opinion. I won't go back on Phentermine UNLESS my new doctor deems it's safe but, I don't think that will happen. While I was on it, I rarely had any appetite, I was always tired and thirsty. A lot of my nutrient levels dropped to the point I had to have prescription vitamins because otc vitamins didn't have enough. I couldn't eat any meat products, I would get super sick and anything with sugar would give me headaches.I'm extremely sensitive to medication so, what I experience isn't what many people would experience. That's the thing about any medication prescribed or not, everyones body reacts differently so what make work for another doesn't always work in the same way as it would for someone else.

I don't take metformin. At all. I gained SO much weight on it. I'm also not Insulin resistance. I have polycystic ovaries but that's it. My last bloodwork in Oct showed that I'm not IR. I haven't been on metformin since 2008.
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Omni products? I started in January and have lost 25lbs the first round.. Going to start another round here in a week or so. It gets weight off fast, only think that has ever worked for me, but it is very strict. After the drops you follow a low sugar/low carb diet to maintain, you just learn to eat a lot better. I have heard a lot of people end up pregnant after rounds too. I am trying to lose because of fertility issues. I am actually now almost 30lbs lighter then when I got pregnant the 1st time 8 years ago. I am just getting ready to start fertility drugs here soon. Hopefully they will work this round.
  • mrsgettingitrightthistime
    Options
    Hello, I was just placed on 1500 mg metformin by my md. My thyroid test came back normal. All of my test are normal and I am working out twice a day for 30 minutes each. I eat very healthy now, and yet I still haven't lost 1 pound.
    Options
    Where do you get omni products from? Are they safe while ttc? What are they?
  • jroggero
    jroggero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried Phentermine and just stopped recently when my insurance changed and it got more expensive for me. There were some big pros and cons to it for me.

Pros:
    - I lost weight quickly, and that was a great motivation for me to keep going
    - It definitely suppressed my appetite and helped me to not eat or even crave unhealthy food
    - It worked consistently over time

Cons:
    - It made me extremely emotional, and even aggressive
    - When I stopped taking it I had intense cravings and immediately began to gain weight
    - Awful headaches

The first month for me was the worst. I didn't even know if I would be able to make it through the emotional roller coaster, but once I got past that it slowly got better and better. Not everyone has these side effects, and some people say that they feel great and have more energy.

Now I am working on losing without phentermine and it's hard, and I've considered starting up again. But that dreaded first month… ahhhh! Also, I really want to get pregnant and would prefer not to be on phentermine when I do conceive. Hope this helps, and good luck!
    Options
    Thanks, it helps alot. My RE do not want me on anything so I'm on this journey with nothing but metformin. Which does nothing for me. But im trying to stay hopeful.