Sharing tips

Options
elw90
elw90 Posts: 41 Member
I thought we could all just post a succinct list of the tips we have that work when losing weight because sometimes other peoples ideas can be really helpful.

Here are some of mine:

Knowing that when you say in your head 'this won't make any difference' or 'it's only a little bit' - that THESE ARE THE MOMENTS THAT COUNT, if you can stop yourself in the moment when you are trying to justify eating crap or something that you won't log that those are the things that add up and prevent you from meeting your weight loss goals

Planning ahead
Not getting really hungry. Once I get really hungry even for one of my meals, I find nothing satisfies me
Not setting unrealistic goals
Setting side 20% of my calories (280 because my goal is 1400) for 'bad foods' every day and even if I don't feel I need crap food, at least use some of these calories as it will help to keep me satisfied every day and prevent binges and that means. By bad food I basically mean chocolate/crisps/sweets or any of the foods that you personally consider bad
Keep eating after dinner to an absolute minimum
Not buying pointless snacks out of the house

There are loads of other generic ones like drink water and eat protein and stuff like that but I mean these are things we all generally know. I kind of want this to be about the real true tips that you find make that bit of difference you need.

I just can't wait to get into the positive spiral, once I see results it is so motivating and reinforces all of the good habits.

Replies

• Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey, here are some of mine:

-Stick to light dinners, and don't eat after 7:30PM (I eat dinner as early as possible, but I feel 7:30 is realistic, gives me time to workout after work, get home, chill out, and stick something in the oven).

-Vary my exercise routine. This is good for your body but also stops me from getting bored. I will be working out three times a week . Monday = Cardio at the gym (20 mins treadmill, 10 mins elliptical, 10 mins bikes, 5 mins rowing). Wed = Swimming (20 lengths in a 25m pool) and Friday = Strength at the gym (20 mins treadmill, 10 mins rowing, 3x30 leg press, 3x30 pull ups, 3x30 lunges, 3x30 squats, 3x30 weights).

-Drink a large glass of water before every meal (20mins before you're due to eat) this will help you control your portions.

-My new healthy diet is taking some getting used to for my body (short term dip in energy). I find multivitamin tablets really help with this.
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think the reason I've had success in my weight loss is due to this tip:

Just because it's in front of you, does NOT mean you have to eat it.

I was one of those "Well I may be full, but there's still food on my plate" eaters. Or "Well even if I'm not hungry, it's free..." (snacks at work, mostly).
  • Csmcnevin
    Csmcnevin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow - i LOVE these! It's that thing isnt it, you know what needs to be done, just need to keep it at the top of your consciousness and keep reminding yourself! Reading those I was nodding my head being like 'exactly', 'totally'...I also love setting side 20% of calories for treats every day - brilliant! I fall down at that all the time - try be perfect, then not again.

So my top tips:
    1. Plan plan plan - packed lunches, prepped dinners, pre tracking whatever it takes.
    2. Remembering whats worth it... and whats not. Some glasses of wine are worth, others are just a waste.
    3. Sounds so simple but remember veggies veggies veggies
    4. Keep the end in mind - i'm a sucker for feeling bad when refusing to join in with unhealthy stuff then i just succumb.
    5. Forgive yourself for mistakes and move on.

Excited about this!
  • sarahlmm
    sarahlmm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find I often have trouble knowing if I'm actually hungry or just bored and craving something. I've found keeping something healthy, like fruit, with me as a snack works quite well. If I'm hungry enough to eat the fruit then I'm hungry. If I wouldn't eat the fruit but would the thing I'm craving then I'm not hungry.
  • ClutteredForest
    Options
    I love the fact that this group exists! ^_^

The most important thing I've learned recently is that I lose weight/inches much more easily if I cook my own food and eat breakfast.
    Its a mysterious thing... <_< If I skip breakfast, I won't be hungry even when lunch rolls around, possibly because my body is employing some sort of defense mechanism?
    However, if I eat a nice breakfast with carbs and protein, my metabolism goes into hyper-speed and my stomach is growling by my next meal!
    My plan overall is: Eat 1700 per day, (approx half-way between my maintenance and my exercise TDEE) eat a big breakfast, exercise three times a week, and only weigh myself on Saturday so I don't go crazy, lol. It seems to be working!
  • Valerie2138
    Valerie2138 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, here are some of mine!

I realized that I was comfort eating at night, after dinner and after the kids were finally asleep. This is when I would look into the cupboards and find chocolate and other comforting things and eat one thing after another. Or sit down and eat a bowl of icecream. I have since changed that. I am a night runner now (I know I'm crazy), but even when I'm pretty tired and have to drag myself out of the house, after I do exercise or run I feel better and I never regret it. This has become a habit for me so it's 1000% easier now than the first time I made myself exercise rather than sitting down to the bowl of icecream at the end of the day.

--Anyhow, since then I've tightened things up more so that after 8pm I don't snack/eat. I no longer need the calories for the day and I can drink water, have tea or just go brush my teeth.
    --Reading books or exercising instead of snacking keeps me busy and so that I'm not thinking about food. It also boosts my confidence.
    --I stopped eating the stuff on my kid's plates after dinner. I don't know if anybody else here has kids, but my kids will leave food on their plates and I was taking in those extra calories, so I stopped doing that.
    --Making small but better choices when eating out. I look at the menu and try to consciously make a good or better choice. I don't eat the bread/butter that comes out before the meal.
    --Drinking more water and lately I've switched to flavored water which helps me to drink more.
    --Planning ahead-- this is something I just started from listening to all of you and others. Planning ahead for the week and of course I'm not going to follow it completely because that's LIFE, but I have a much better chance at success that way.
    --Portion control! Trying to notice my portions and be more realistic....... still working on it!
    --Satisfying my sweet tooth with fruits more often. Like an apple or banana -- Or a small piece of really good dark chocolate once or twice a day.
    --I often start my day with Chocolate Shakeology. I has a lot of protein, fills me up, and satisfies my sweet tooth for very few calories (160 cals). At least I know I have a good start to my day with nutrition, calories and energy.
    --There are so many birthdays constantly, so I just stopped eating the cake altogether! I just quit that cold turkey. I was eating it too much and it was killing my calorie intake.
    --Listening to your ideas!!!
  • marylograno
    Options
    I don't drive, so keeping track of how many calories my walk/ bike ride is to/from my destination INSPIRES me to push it just a little farther. I take the long way home, or run errands at the store that's an extra mile or two away.

I know this might not be the best advice, but drinking black coffee keeps my energy up and keeps me from snacking unnecessarily in the middle of the day.

Preparing healthy meals for my 10-12 hour days is SO helpful and makes me feel realistic about calorie intake (and money expenditure).

I hate the gym for all of the typical reasons. I've tried downloading some apps (Runtastic's Six Pack) and following along with YouTube videos (I love XHIT Daily!) which make working out at home more interesting. I also got some friends into fun outdoor activities. We play tennis, even though we suck so we basically just end up chasing the ball around for hours. We bike with a new destination at the end. It keeps things interesting!
  • bellewis
    bellewis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love the 20% for bad food idea! Plus, it never occurred to me to be a "night runner". Maybe I will give it a try...you cant really see how slow you are going anyway. :)

I know its been said but pre planning my whole day makes a huge difference. If I slip there for some reason It becomes a free for all chocolate (or whatever sugar I can find) binge at night. I don't know why....!~?
  • chanceyb33
    chanceyb33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have ditched the scale. I will only weigh in every few weeks. I get discouraged if its not going down fast enough and can not help myself to step on it daily if it is there. I will follow workout plan and calorie intake and know it will pay off in the end. Or at least I hope..lol

How many calories is everyone netting a day? What is your average weekly loss and activity level?
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just started this today in order to get my water in:

Drinking water at the correct time maximizes its effectiveness on the human body.

2 glass of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    1 glass of water 30 minutes before meals - help digestion
    1 glass of water before taking a shower/bath - helps lower blood pressure
    1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack

I saw this on facebook and thought I'd be able to get at least my 8 glasses in.