considering VSG from lapband

Options
2mouse63
2mouse63 Posts: 66 Member
Hello, I am considering having the sleeve done. I was banded on 1/8/09 and after four years now, regaining weight back that I have lost, reflux, and now having issues with eating. I am at a cross roads. Can anyone give me some help? I have a doctor appointment with Dr. Sharp in Raleigh to discuss this but I like to hear from you all. Any help would be helpful.

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Reflux is typically worse with sleeve. My occasional reflux meds are now mandatory 2 x a day. The Roux en Y bypass is often recommended in that situation. You said you are having "eating issues". What are they? After sleeve foods taste much spicier and sweeter to me. At 12 wks out I do not feel physical hunger like I used to but everyone assures me that it will return. The mental battle is the hardest. Surgery does not cure food addiction. I no longer eat my Kryptonite foods-which was almost anything made with ground grain. If you think you can keep your rich tasty Kryptonite foods and just eat them in tiny amounts you would be mistaken. Anyone can out eat surgery. Your new diet will be 70%protein,25%veg (no potato)5%starch at each meal. Your calories will be between 650-850 a day. Limited alcohol(1 lite beer) and no ibuprofen (you have to have a whole stomach to take it). I have lost 54 lbs in 12 wks. I would do it again but it is very hard. I was never a big meat eater before. If you are willing to choose you over food I would recommend it. If the thought of never eating your favorite foods ever again panics you I wouldn't dare do it. Good Luck!!
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    I like to say thank you for your information. This is going to help. My eating issues are when I do eat and it can be a small amount of anything which mostly I only eat meat and veg's. I don't eat much of bread at all. But after I eat with in the 30 or so, the bathroom has the food I eat. It don't say in my stomach long. Then if it does happen to say down about 1 or 2 in the morning I am waking up with reflux and burning in my throat. I don't have any strange tastes for food so I can eat just about anything I like. What is Kryptonite foods? I never heard of this kind of food. You have done great in 12 weeks with 54 lbs lost. I just hope I can do that too.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Kryptonite foods are ones that you cannot consume in a normal portion. And when I say portion I really do mean what is on the lable. Like chips, one portion is 10 chips. 1 portion for me is a 1# bag. Same with pasta. a serving is 1/2 cup but I always want a plate of it(2 cups). A woman my age and ht with my activity level only gets 1700 calories a day. However I prefer to eat around 3000 -4000 calories. I used to eat the breakfast chicken burrito at chik-fil-a with a side of cole slaw and coffee w 6 hazelnut creamers. A whopping 1000 cal just for breakfast!! My favorite was instant Vietnamese pho soup-like ramen but rice noodles instead of wheat. I ate 2 packs at a time (4 servings) sometimes 3 x a day. For some it is coke, others candy, for me it is carbs. My food diary is open feel free to look at it. I now eat tofu noodle substitute instead of pasta. I will occasionally have half of a small whole grain wrap but for the most part my diet is 97% ground grain free. It is working for me. Good luck!
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    thank you. I did not know what Kryptonite foods was. I never had that problem with the band at all. Best of luck with you too. Please keep me posted on your progress. I know I need support as well.
  • msleelee35
    msleelee35 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Like you, I had the band in 2009 but my doctor and I could never find a comfortable restriction so although I loss weight, I actually gained in all back so I turned to the sleeve, 12/16/14. I'm doing things by the book this go around. Eating the right foods, getting exercise in. All of the surgeries are merely a tool but you have to find the right one for you. Al least this time, I don't get sick from eating wrong. I do get full extremely fast so supplemental protein shakes are a necessity. I feel great about the choice to be sleeved and have no regrets. Like the band, you'll have good days and bad days but it's all worth it.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    Thank you so much. That is great news. I have spoken with my Doctor today so he is aware of my feelings and issues I am having with the band. He also thinks I should go with the sleeve as well. How is your progress going? Love to hear.
  • mmanley0003
    Options
    ok I am young still only 22 so my mom thought the lap band would work. after reading on the success rate compared to a sleeve I felt it was a waste of time. I was sleeved 2/4 or last Tuesday and have lost 13 pounds since then 22 in total with pre op. I think it has a lot to do with the statistics. and even though I have extremely bad reflux medicine does help good luck on your journey and I think if you go with the sleeve you will be happy. you just have to follow the rules exactly as you are instructed and you will do great!!! plus it is less invasive than the bypass
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Lap band 5/2006
    VSG 5/2012
    My band port stopped functioning after a year and I had the band in place for 5 years unfilled. I never found the sweet spot and lost 30 in the first year. I rapidly gained that back plus more over the next five years. I could not eat dense foods without it getting stuck, especially at the TOM. I never had a reflux problem.
    I've never had a second thought about having the sleeve. Infact it was freeing to finally be able to eat dense foods like chicken and fibrous vegetables. It is everything I thought the band would be. It was not too hard to change my eating habits I had been doing it for 6 years already. I have learned alot and never felt better.
    For long term success you will have to control portions forever. Identify any food addictionn (for me and many, sugar) and exercise. The sleeve does not do it for you, but it is an amazing jump start and continual motivator. You can eat around any weight loss surgery so be preparred to change forever.
    You can dothis and you will be so happy to remove the band. Good luck and I am open toany questions.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    You are all so right. You can eat around weight loss. I am going to see about the sleeve for sure. I think I will have great success on it and will be very happy. Thank you reneemosley for you understand the issues with the band. I think many others know what I am going through with the band as well. Have the band program and the sleeve program must be a little bit different is it?