Gastritis

Options
I am in the pre-op phase still. Just had a physical with my surgeon's Physician's Assistant yesterday. We talked about all health related issues. Overall I am pretty healthy it seems. Other than having a BMI of 50 and osteoarthritis in my knees, I don't have any major issues like diabetes or sleep apnea, and that is why I want to lose weight so I can stay healthy. One issue that did come up is gastritis. I have had GERD for many years and have been treated with PPI's like Prevacid and Protonix. I am a little worried. I have had issues with grastritis ( inflammation of the stomach lining) I had an endoscopy about a year and a half ago that showed inflammation. The issue is if that inflammation has not improved, I may not be able to get the surgery. The PA says my surgeon is a stickler for not having any gastric inflammation because the new sleeve stomach won't heal properly. Has any one else faced this issue? I am seeing my PCP today to discuss this and I am also seeing my GI doctor in a few weeks. I am hoping I can get another endoscopy again to see if there is still a problem. I have made dietary changes recently, more fruits and veggies, less fat, sugar etc. I am hoping that if I continue this it will help my stomach. Good news is these diet changes along with increased exercise has resulted in an 8 lb. weight loss in last month and half.

Replies

• beckybrn
    Options
    I had an endoscopy prior to my VSG surgery that showed mild gastritis and they did the surgery anyway. I have had no issues with healing and am now 5 1/2 weeks post-op.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from gastritis and acid reflux and was scoped prior to surgery. Since I treat daily with the generic of Previcid (Omozopril), my stomach lining was only slightly imflamed and they did the sleeve surgery. I had no problem healing. I will say that now I can't tolerate any kind of spagetti sauce without major heartburn, but since I really don't eat much pasta naymore, it's easy to avoid.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had gastritis and an ulcer and have had zero problems. I am 8 weeks out from surgery.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I had gastritis and the surgeon wanted me to have the roux en y bypass instead but my vit d levels and anemia have always been a problem. We stuck with the sleeve but my reflux meds are now 2x a day and mandatory
  • xtinydancerxx
    xtinydancerxx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can somebody describe what the surgery is like? And do you have chronic or acute?
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I also had acid reflux damage but got sleeve surgery anyway. My Dr had me on antacids from day one and I haven't had any problems.

If you read through all of the post here in MFP you will find several people have acid reflux issue after surgery.

Talk to your Dr more about this.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Can somebody describe what the surgery is like? And do you have chronic or acute?

What surgery are you asking about?
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have chronic gastritis with scarring inside my stomach and lots of inflammation, at my EGD my surgeon took several biopsies. I was told the sleeve was the only procedure that he would perform on me because he didn't want to chance never being able to look inside a section of stomach (such as RYN) - if you trust your surgeon I say follow his advice. I go to Center of Excellence, I lived with tummy issues for years that my gastro doc could never find a reason for - so thankful to now know why. I take Protonix twice a day and the nausea and pains have subsided for the most part, it also helps that I am basically refined sugar free and no wheats at all. I am thankful that yucky diseased section of stomach is going next Tuesday! Good riddance!