Anime conventions

Options
tristaj90
tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
Hey, is there anyone planning on going to a con this year? Do you plan to just go for fun or are you going to get completely into it and dress up as well?

I plan on going to AnimeDetour in Minneapolis MN this year (my 2nd ever convention.. my first was last year and I did dress up then). My husband is joining me this year and I don't think he's going to cosplay. I planned on it but am not sure if I will if he isn't going to. We have some other friends going that I know will cosplay but idk..
I'm also toying with the idea of going to animinneapolis as well. Detour is the 1st weekend of april and animinneapolis is the last weekend of May.. not sure if I should go to both since they're so close together.

My cosplays are Yuri Nakamura from Angel Beats and Haruhi Suzumiya from, well you know :D
I thought about trying for a Luffy from One Piece but I only have the wig. I planned on making it but I'm not crafty and I don't have a lot of funds to play with to buy it either. So I think I'll stick with my 2 I have and then possibly purchase another later.

What about you guys?

Replies

• CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Been an Anime fan for 17 years and going - probably longer since i recall watching the original Dragonball on CBS early saturday mornings in my early teen years.

NEVER been to a con though:( I told myself that once i get down to my ideal weight of 220 I am going to go as my favorite baddie from Naruto...... Zabuza!!! Then i will finally go to one!
  • tristaj90
    Options
    That sounds like a good goal. I'm sure they have some pretty decent cons in your area. I'm excited to hit up Anime Detour since it's the biggest anime convention in Minnesota. Love it! It's going to be fun and I get to meet some of my favorite voice actors!
  • CrusherKun
    Options
    That sounds like a good goal. I'm sure they have some pretty decent cons in your area. I'm excited to hit up Anime Detour since it's the biggest anime convention in Minnesota. Love it! It's going to be fun and I get to meet some of my favorite voice actors!

Actually the ones in MN would be closer....there is one in my neighborhood, but its more of a Sci-Fi con and not an Anime one. The same group that puts on the one in Milwaukee do one in Chicago that I would really love to get to being it is a much bigger city with larger turn out.

I actually would love to get a photo with Sailor Bee and her crew from Crunchyroll.com - She has a lot of awesome ones including a very passable Tsunade and Mikasa from Attack on Titan. Plus they always put on a awesome Cosplay contest and give away a ton of wigs and other cosplay items and CR gear!!!
  • tristaj90
    Options
    That would be awesome! crunchyroll has been my favorite site for new anime, but I can't afford to pay the yearly membership fee to get the simulcasts anymore. plus we haven't watched a series as it was airing since Free!
    I don't have the confidence to enter a cosplay contest.mostly because I don't make my costumes, i buy them off ebay from sellers in China LOL
  • CrusherKun
    Options
    That would be awesome! crunchyroll has been my favorite site for new anime, but I can't afford to pay the yearly membership fee to get the simulcasts anymore. plus we haven't watched a series as it was airing since Free!
    I don't have the confidence to enter a cosplay contest.mostly because I don't make my costumes, i buy them off ebay from sellers in China LOL

I have a monthly membership! Today is Naruto and a few other ones. If you cant afford it, I can always point you in the direction of a good torrent site:)
  • tristaj90
    Options

I have a monthly membership! Today is Naruto and a few other ones. If you cant afford it, I can always point you in the direction of a good torrent site:)

Oh we have plenty of good sites to stream off of for free. Just haven't been able to watch anime for a while. I think the last anime I finished was Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and that was a few weeks ago already. My husband, brother in law and myself have been watching One Piece but I"m so bored with the arc that we're in so I Haven't felt like watching it recently. Hubby and I started Good Luck Girl, Kamisama Kiss, and several others but we never finish them. And he gets mad when I finish a show without him.. But I seem to be good at binge-watching whereas he is not..
  • Animebride2015
    Options
    I will be going to anime weekend Atlanta 2014 and will be going as both forms of sailor Jupiter. her school girl outfit and then her first sailor scout transformation.
  • CrusherKun
    Options

Oh we have plenty of good sites to stream off of for free. Just haven't been able to watch anime for a while. I think the last anime I finished was Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and that was a few weeks ago already. My husband, brother in law and myself have been watching One Piece but I"m so bored with the arc that we're in so I Haven't felt like watching it recently. Hubby and I started Good Luck Girl, Kamisama Kiss, and several others but we never finish them. And he gets mad when I finish a show without him.. But I seem to be good at binge-watching whereas he is not..

I have not seen most of One Piece....i use to watch on Cartoon Network before i became a Subbed *kitten*....but lost track around the "Crocodile v Luffy" fight. Havent figured out where to pick back up with the subbed, and i really would like to avoid any fillers and just go right to the main storyline if at all possible.

I am the same way with starting Anime and not finishing it. I think we all have a few of those. I usually give an anime 5 episodes to grab my attention and if it doesnt, i move on. a few i have gotten through a season and then it gets kinda lame (Soul Eater is one of them as of late with season 2) so i abandon and then go back after i am really bored. I just started back up with Kill La Kill (although my wife and I did get a kick out of the Synchro animation and all the overly excessive "jiggling")....kinda still iffy on it though.

Z/X is another one i really got into lately, and its so new i cant power watch any seasons yet!
  • tristaj90
    Options

I have not seen most of One Piece....i use to watch on Cartoon Network before i became a Subbed *kitten*....but lost track around the "Crocodile v Luffy" fight. Havent figured out where to pick back up with the subbed, and i really would like to avoid any fillers and just go right to the main storyline if at all possible.

I am the same way with starting Anime and not finishing it. I think we all have a few of those. I usually give an anime 5 episodes to grab my attention and if it doesnt, i move on. a few i have gotten through a season and then it gets kinda lame (Soul Eater is one of them as of late with season 2) so i abandon and then go back after i am really bored. I just started back up with Kill La Kill (although my wife and I did get a kick out of the Synchro animation and all the overly excessive "jiggling")....kinda still iffy on it though.

Z/X is another one i really got into lately, and its so new i cant power watch any seasons yet!

Yeah the crocodile arc seemed like forever too. we picked up a few more episodes since I posted the last response but still slow going. I love dubbed anime. I have a lot of voice actors I think are pretty amazing. don't get me wrong, the subbed would be good too, but I love Colleen Clinkenbeard as Luffy..
    I've tried watching some of the dubbed I've seen in sub but I can't get past some of the voices then. FMA had a weak sounding Roy Mustang whereas the dubbed had a very strong sexy commanding mustang.
  • CrusherKun
    Options

Yeah the crocodile arc seemed like forever too. we picked up a few more episodes since I posted the last response but still slow going. I love dubbed anime. I have a lot of voice actors I think are pretty amazing. don't get me wrong, the subbed would be good too, but I love Colleen Clinkenbeard as Luffy..
    I've tried watching some of the dubbed I've seen in sub but I can't get past some of the voices then. FMA had a weak sounding Roy Mustang whereas the dubbed had a very strong sexy commanding mustang.

I am a Subbed Snob just cause i am all about accuracy and the dubbed change things too much. For Example. Naruto - Sasuke retrieval arc- When Rock Lee fights Kimimaru and breaks out his Drunken Fist style after accidentally ingesting sake over his medication.....dubbed called it Loopy Fist.....REALLY!!!! WTF!

I do follow some awesome voice over actors too.... Yuri Lowenthal does the voice for Sasuke in Naruto....and is also the Voice of Ben in Ben10 series. I follow him and his "wife" Tara Platt....she does Voice over work too and does the voice of Temari on Naruto (didnt find that out till recently).

Funny story....When i played WoW, a guy i met on there claimed to do the voice over work for sasuke....I called BS and emailed Yuri (at the time i didnt know who did the voice over work so i googled it) - Yuri actually responded and stated it was not him....called the kid out....WIN!!! Google saves the day. I have followed Yuri's career ever since!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I went to the Tokyo Anime Convention last year and it was great. Hoping to go this year too.
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on going to Otakon for the first time this summer. I'm thinking about cosplaying as Matsuoka Rin from Free! Iwatobi Swim Club.

I already did the spring school uniform, so I'm hoping that I can become swimsuit-worthy by August and wear as little clothing as possible in the (notorious) Baltimore heat and humidity lol
  • CrusherKun
    Options
    I'm planning on going to Otakon for the first time this summer. I'm thinking about cosplaying as Matsuoka Rin from Free! Iwatobi Swim Club.

I already did the spring school uniform, so I'm hoping that I can become swimsuit-worthy by August and wear as little clothing as possible in the (notorious) Baltimore heat and humidity lol

Cant say I am up for watching a show about boys swimming.....
  • tristaj90
    Options

OMG that show was awesome :D I love Free!
  • CrusherKun
    Options

OMG that show was awesome :D I love Free!

NO.....i refuse to believe it is nothing more than eye candy for women (yes i know everyother anime is that for men):)