Trying to meet new like minded people

Options
Hello, my name is Allen. I've been using MFP for a while but only recently started adding friends and see how it can be beneficial. Just curious to see if anyone has similar goals and would be willing to add me for support.

Starting Weight: 190
Current Weight: 182

My goal isn't so much weight as body fat %. I'd like to be 10 - 15% , I'm currently 20 - 25%. I also want to build muscle so ideally my scale weight would go up on my % is a bit lower. Currently I'm doing a full body weight training program, I recently hurt my back but am going to start lifting again today (02-11-2014).

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What routine are you doing? I would cut until you are closer to your goal % and bulk then.

I do Strong Lifts, Krav Maga (martial arts), and occasionally run. I'm cutting until the end of summer or when I can't stand it anymore (whichever comes first) and then will go back to bulking to gain strength and muscle.

Friend me if you'd like.
  • alposie
    Options
    I was doing strong lifts but I've hurt my back twice doing deadlifts so I'm going to start doing hamstring curls instead. It's weird, when I go "heavy" and lose form I can pull the weight easily, I keep hurting myself on light weight warm ups when I'm focusing on proper technique. Heavy for me isn't heavy at all by most peoples standards, new to squats and deadlifts.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Not sure how like minded I am to you but your stats are really similar to mine.

I originally started at 190lbs probably 3-4 years ago. I'm around 5' 7-8". I don't know my BF% at 190lbs but it was most likely 22-25%.

Always strength trained with the big three, bench, squat dead lift and supersetted accessory lifts in between. Upped the cardio and watched my diet.

Right now, I'm at 170lbs and approx. 18% BF.

Considering how hard it is to gain muscle/strength, I highly recommend you either lift heavy or continue to lift heavy while trying to lose BF. It's difficult to gain muscle after you've lost a bunch of weight. If you're not strength training, you will lose muscle along with fat.
  • alposie
    Options
    I'm trying to do a slow recomp, but my back is still messed up. I'm thinking of doing more isolation type movements to put less stress on my back.