VSG and Airport Security?

garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
This might sound weird, but i was going through that high tech security scanner at the airport, and security took me aside and they said they had to pat down my stomach. I asked if something showed up, and the TSA agent said yes, look at the screen, and sure enough my stomach was highlighted on the graphic. Is it possible that the absence of a fully sized stomach could show up on one of those scanners? Maybe they are that sensitive?

Replies

• usually it detects moisture I think that may be the case.
  • garber6th
    Yeah I am not even sure, I wasn't sweaty or anything, I didn't even feel warm. Weird!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    That's strange. I've flown 4x since sleeve surgery and never been pulled aside.
  • garber6th
    Come to think of it, I have flown 4 times too since surgery, and I got pulled aside EVERY time! Maybe it's just me? :-)

Just thought it was weird that this time it was specifically my stomach that showed up.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Did they use metal staples on your suture line? Perhaps the machine is so sensitive it's picking up on that?
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Neither my wife nor I got pulled for security this past week and DC was thorough to say the least. Unless they used some other type of staple line on you, but if the outline showed your stomach, not just a line of staples, that doesn't make sense either?

Dale, are you drawing special attention? Gotta be that happy smile! :bigsmile:

I'd ask the surgeon about it. What a hassle getting the treatment every time! If you fly often, you might want to do the paperwork to get in the PreCheck lines with TSA.