Supplements

Options
What is you favorite supplement? Why?

Maybe this is something you take to kick off your day. Maybe this your pre-workout gas supplement or post-workout fuel. It seems there are many reasons as there are supplements.

I am asking because a majority of my MFP Friends (over 90%) seem to abstain from supplements. I have talked with a lot of my friends and they are ignorant of what to take. They say there are so many supplements out there and there is so much noise from various groups through mixed media, they really don't know what is based on science and what is just snake oil. I tend to agree. There is a lot of noise out there with infomercials, magazines, radio spots and web ads vying for my attention and my dollar.

I will go so far as to kick this off. I am taking a multivitamin, CLA and fish oil.

Multivitamin - the studies behind why you should take a multivitamin are simply staggering. Most of us just do not get enough of the essentials we need to be healthy. This helps fill in that gap.

CLA - To put it simply Conjugated Linolein Acid is something your body cannot produce and one of the best sources is a standard diet would be grass-fed beef. However, you would have to eat tons of it to reap the full benefits CLA has to offer. It can assist in combating certain cancers and have been shown to reduce certain tumors by up to 50 percent. It can also help with cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, osteoporosis, insulin resistance, inflammation, immune system invaders and food-induced allergic reactions. It has been shown beneficial in lowers body fat with even greater improvments in those who exercise. It also also been shown to increase lean body mass. CLA can help preserve muscle tissue and may increase metabolic rate.

Fish Oil - The benefits of fish oil are also extensive. Taking omega-3 supplements (a.k.a. fish oil) can help slow the body’s aging process by lengthening telomeres that often shorten with age. It also been found to lower inflammation levels. It could potentially decrease the risk for other major diseases associated with aging like heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, arthritis, and Alzheimer’s disease. Plus, Omega-3 supplementation reduced oxidative stress, caused by excessive free radicals in the blood. Let me not forget possible anti-cancer effects, increases cardiovascular health and can reduce hypertension. There are other studies out there that show other benefits but some of them are inconclusive. But really, wouldn’t the anti-aging and lowering inflammation levels be enough?

What about you?

Replies

• rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Supplements are so confusing.

I can't eat before I work out so I drink a little single serve Muscle Milk Light in the morning and that fills me up plenty for a hard workout and keeps me full.

FYI for anyone who has wondered, the manager at my gym explained that the difference when you see Casein in the name of the protein is that it keeps you full longer because it is a slower release form of protein. Optimum Nutrition makes a good Casein Protein mix that I occasionally use - you shake it up and it's a nice consistency and has good flavor.

The other thing I have tried because, as a mom of two and a 'household engineer' (as one of my buddies on here calls us) and I am tired all the time, is the Optimum Nutrition 'Pre' Workout which is supposed to give you an energy boost. I didn't take a whole dose because I don't want a ton of caffeine but it makes my skin burn like I rubbed chili pepper all over - the manager at the gym said there's a specific ingredient that makes your blood vessels expand so you're actually feeling the stuff penetrate all over by the surface capillaries. It didn't give me much of a bump in energy and so I don't use it anymore. I had samples of it via my husband's job which was why I tried it. This probably would work better for a guy with more mass but I'm not sure.

Ditto on vitamin and omegas ;)

And an occasional box of hot tamales...yum!
  • laurasaintlouis
    laurasaintlouis Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil and a calcium supplement (I am allergic to milk).
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil and a calcium supplement (I am allergic to milk).

Off topic, but have you tried Almond Milk? I have switched for general consumption and I find the taste good on cereal. I don't cook with it or put it in hot cereal (it makes oats just taste weird). That said, it is lower in fat and a good source of protein.
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I take a men's multi-vitamin and fish oil each day.

After workouts I generally have a whey protein shake made with almond milk on my drive home before I have dinner (I work out immediately after work).

A friend is an Advocare rep and she's been trying to sell me for some time now, and sent me a couple of samples of their "Spark" energy drink. I had one before yesterday's workout, but it was a morning workout due to some scheduling issues so I'm not sure it did much.

Today I'm back to my normal routine so I'm going to try a Spark about a half hour before I start working out and see if there's any noticeable difference.
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    A friend is an Advocare rep and she's been trying to sell me for some time now, and sent me a couple of samples of their "Spark" energy drink. I had one before yesterday's workout, but it was a morning workout due to some scheduling issues so I'm not sure it did much.

Today I'm back to my normal routine so I'm going to try a Spark about a half hour before I start working out and see if there's any noticeable difference.

My wife and I did Spark for a few months a few years back. It did seem to give a boost, but it also had a "crash". I likened it to an energy shot in a bottle. We stopped using it.
  • jjking54
    Options
    I'm a born skeptic when it comes to this stuff ... her and her husband have had success, and that's great. I'm willing to give the Spark a chance, and today will be a better rest because it's the usual "routine" so we'll see what happens.

She's pushing me to do the 24 day cleanse/challenge whatever and I'm putting her off for now.
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    I'm a born skeptic when it comes to this stuff ... her and her husband have had success, and that's great. I'm willing to give the Spark a chance, and today will be a better rest because it's the usual "routine" so we'll see what happens.

She's pushing me to do the 24 day cleanse/challenge whatever and I'm putting her off for now.

Cleanses are like supplements, there are just so many out there and very few have solid evidence backing their brand. There are also a host of different types of cleanses and detox routines that target some or all of the body. Again, more noise to try to make sense of. There are juices, mixes, pills and even clay!? Getting the stuff "hung" in your gut would seem to have real benefit. However, do they leave the good stuff behind or just woosh?! Does a liver detox really work? The list goes on and on.

I would LOVE for someone here to take the reigns and post what they know about cleanses. That said, I do not want an infomercial of what they are selling. Just honest information without any spin.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I researched 24 different health and wellness companies that produce supplements, I also subscribe to consumerlab.com which tests supplements and provides an approved or deny rating based on the product ingredient claims. I'll share some of the info I have accumulated during my quest for the best for me. BTW - I only use Isagenix.

1. Shakeology: Processed Whey Protein (Isolate).

2. Herbalife: Soy Protein (Isolate). Soy is a row crop, not organic! Protein is acid washed with heat, (Denatured) to help make
    it less toxic, and only 9 grams of protein. (Also the cheapest of all the shakes to make).

3. Advocare: 1st ingredient is Maltodextrin, (it is a man made sugar that is chemically derived from starch and is used in a
    number of different foods and sweeteners. Side effects can include anything from chest pain, heart palpitations, high
    cholesterol, hypoglycemia, or excess fat if the calories from the sugar are not burned off). Soy Protein and Fructose are the
    next 2 ingredients! Also has GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms).

4. Body By Vi: Soy Protein, a row crop product and loaded with toxins, GMO's and sweetened with Sucralose. The
    majority of ingested sucralose is not broken down by the body and shown to reduce the amount of GOOD bacteria in the
    intestines by as much as 50%. Maltodextrin derived from GMO starch, whey protein isolates. Only 10 Grams of poor Protein,
    not a meal replacement and in addition is has to be mixed with milk.

5. Slim Fast: GMO, maltodextrin, refined sugar, antibiotics, rBGH, carrageenan

6. Ensure: GMO, soy protein, maltodextrin, refined sugar, artificial colors, carrageenan

7. It Works: GMO, soy protein, maltodextrine, whey protein isolates, antibiotics, rBGH

8. Atkins: GMO, refined sugar, antibiotics, rBGH, artificial colors, carrageenan

9. Special K: GMO, soy protein, maltodextrin, refined sugar, antibiotics, rBGH, artificial colors, carrageenan

10. Isogen: GMO, maltodextrin, refined sugar, whey protein isolate, antibiotics, rBGH, artificial colors

11. Pure Protein: GMO, refined sugar, whey protein isolate, antibiotics, rBGH, artificialcoloring, carrageenan

12. Muscle Milk: GMO, maltodextrin, refined sugar, whey protein isolate, heavy metals (arsenic and lead), antibiotics,
    rBGH, artificial coloring, carrageenan

13. Youngevity Slender FX: only 105 calories so not a meal replacement, use soy and whey proteins, no source given for
    whey, so probably low grade from U.S., low carbs, Sweetened with Steviol (stevia)

14. The Shaklee 180 Energizing Smoothies: Their protein blend contains soy protein concentrate and soy protein isolate. Rules them out immediately. It's not a true meal replacement by itself. They suggest mixing it with milk to bring calories up for replacing meals. Cost is $2.72 per serving yielding 16g of protein.

15. The Physique Shake: Their protein blend contains Milk and Whey protein isolate, both of which are denatured. Rules them out yet again. It's a protein supplement, not meal replacement. Cost is $2.22 per serving yielding 14g of protein.

16. Syntrax Nectar Protein: only 100 calories so it can't be a meal replacementcontains soy protein along with whey
    proteincontains Sucralose is an artificial sweetenercontains Hydrolyzed wheat which is really just another way of saying MSG

17. Arbonne: Shakes are to low in calories (160) and very low in nutrition, most only having 15% of the RDA (a few as high as 20%). Very high in sodium at 480 mg.

18. MonaVie: contains soy, very expensive, only 9 grams of protein, not enough calories for a "meal replacement" so they suggest you add milk to it, making it even more expensive, Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Hydrolysate NOT Hormone Free Whey, (whey concentrate is BEST) Whey source not given and since it contains hormones at best it is probably a grade 2 or 3 whey protein. Contains Artificial Sweeteners and/or Flavors.

19. Gold Standard Whey: Uses denatured whey protein isolate and denatured whey protein concentrate.

20. Ideal Protein - They use different proteins in different products - whey isolates, soy isolates, whole milk protein, albumin, pea protein, and hydrolyzed collagen. All of which are denatured and contain only 9 essential amino acids.

21. Medifast - The ingredient lists contain many red flags. Some of which are soy protein, artificial flavors, colorants, artificial sweeteners, amongst other things. None of the ingredients are organic/non-GMO. The vitamins are synthesized.

22. Syntha - all proteins are denatured. They also use artificial flavors and artificial sweeteners- Sucralose and acesulfame potassium

23. NuSkin Pharmanex AC shake - contains a blend of proteins, all of which are denatured. One of the proteins is soy protein, making it inferior right out of the gate. Soy protein is cheap, does not have an ideal amino acid profile and doesn't help with lean mass development. This article states that soy protein is about as good as plain old water when it comes to muscle synthesis (gaining muscle).

24. Plexus - Don't waste your money. This is the typical magic drink. Will you lose weight quickly? Yes. Will you gain it all back quickly once you stop using it? Yes.

Things to know:

1. The process of denaturing protein - Almost every single company use salts, enzymes, acids or heat to separate out the curds from the whey. These processes absolutely change whey, hurts the peptides and amino acid profile. This type of whey is denatured, meaning the proteins are altered through chemical or physical means so that some of its original properties are lost or diminished. The best way in which the curds and whey can be separated is called micro-filtration and it's the most expensive process. This microfiltration process leaves the whey un-denatured and in perfect form.

2. The source of protein - cows - you want free-range cows that are exclusively grass fed (free from herbicides, pesticides etc.), milked and rested according to season and free of hormones, antibiotics and steroids. A ton of companies use milk from non-organic cattle farms and cattle lots. Cheaper and easier.

3. Artificial flavors, colors and sweeteners - Many companies use artificial flavors and sweeteners. You don't want anything artificial in your body.

4. Concentrate vs. Isolate - Here is a great article about Whey Protein. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink3.htm

Whew!! I'm exhausted now but I hope sharing this info help y'all make a good decision when spending your hard earned money.
  • stefanieraya
    Options
    Cleasing. Detoxing. What does it mean? The better question is what are you trying to achieve. Cleansing is based on the premise that we live in a toxic world. What I'm referring to is a method to remove harmful toxins from your body that build up in your cells. That build up causes obesity and the toxins are referred to as obseogens. Here is an article link to the National Institute of Medicine on the topic of Obesogens. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3279464/

This is where cleansing comes into play. I'm not talking about a cayenne pepper, maple syrup type master cleanse that sends you screaming and running for the potty.
    What I'm referring to is a cellular cleanse. There isn't alot of scientific evidence to support cleansing probably due to the fact that their is a complex metabolic process always happening in our bodies that is tough to gauge. I would encourage supplement companies to have more independent reviews done for proof.
    What I can say is having done a cellular cleanse myself, I have released weight AND inches and have better energy and better lab results in terms of lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol. Those are great side effects!
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    Wow Slraya1, that is a TON of useful info!!

I have never been one for any of the meal replacement programs because they don't teach you anything more than reliance on their product. If you do get to a target weight and get off the product, without learning how to maintain a balanced diet you will just be going back to their product. Which is really what the company who makes the product wants you to do. It was never about your health, it was about your dollar. That is not to a say a meal replacement might not be a bad thing in some situations (I used them in the Army sporadically). I would rather have a few cans of a solid meal replacement sitting in my desk at the office than be at the mercy of what I could find in a lunch hour, during a high traffic part of the day and when everyone else is out getting lunch too.

I always thought there were two cleanses: GI and cellular. I have done a few GI cleanses from a three day, four day and a seven day. I am not sure if the three day was really worth it, but the four and seven day cleanses did make me feel better. Sure there was the predictable resolution of getting rid of the waste... but did it really clean out my GI tract? I also know at those times my diet was crap, using food weight to move things through my tract instead of fiber. Getting back into a diet that includes better fiber usually straightens your GI tract out, with painful results for most. Their body is just not ready for the shift. However, do I still have "unwanted" things clinging to the walls of my GI tract, reducing absorption and a host of other problems? Again, dunno. I know my grandmother would dose me with Castor Oil in the spring and fall when I was a child. I can tell you with 100% certainty the results seem very similar to these high priced cleanses :p

I have seen the cellular cleanses, but they all "felt" like snake oil to me. I say "felt" because I have never done one. I pull the product off the shelf or read about it on the web and just say.... mmmmm, no. It seems like liver is the hot button cleanse right now and every product promises fantastic results. To me, they seem like the salt protector they want to sell me with a new car.

Car Salesman: "It will just take 10 minutes and they spray it on out back. Protects your car from road salt."
    Me: "You mean the whole car?"
    Car Salesman: "Yes sir!"
    Me: "How does it get through the paint?"
    Car Salesman: ??? [Blank Stare] "Well, it.. uhhh."
    Me: "You can just mark that off the invoice"
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Calcium - 41 yo female too many years of drinking too much soda, figured it can't hurt my bones :) I also try to regularly take joint supplements as both my parents have arthritis and are having quite a few issues now. Figured this too can't hurt even if it doesn't help as much as they claim.

I'm also an Advocare user, but I use the products I like. I take Catalyst before I work out. I swear it takes me a good long time into a workout to build up a sweat. I am just naturally not a heavy sweat person. When I take Catalyst 15 minutes before I w/o...within the first 10 minutes of the w/o I'm building up a good sweat. Catalyst is a few different amino acids.

I've been using the Muscle Gain shake because it is low carb. I have no problems finding carbs to eat so I'd rather not drink them. I drink it after workouts if I'm in a hurry and need a quick source of protein. I appreciate your research slraya1 but it would be helpful to know which of the protein shakes you reviewed...Advocare has more than one.

I also drink Spark and currently hooked on the Mandarin orange flavor. Grape is too sweet to me. In the summer I like the pink lemonade. Not big on the other flavors at all. I've never used OTC energy drinks like 5 hour, redbull, monster or the like so I have nothing to compare to. I like the flavor of Spark and have never had a negative reaction to it, so I keep drinking it.

I've done the cleanse, used the various pills included in the 24 day challenge kits, and tried other products too. But the ones above became my regular go to items. Just like the other programs on the market these kits come with recommendations on diet and exercise. Nothing that says take only these pills and you will lose weight automagically. At the end of the day it is really more about being conscious that you are on a program because you have to regularly remember to take the pills and work the program. For some this can be a great motivator but they still need to make the lifestyle changes to support healthy eating and fitness long term.

Just my take! ~Mel
  • jjking54
    Options
    Thanks Mel :)
  • stefanieraya
    Options
    You know if I felt the food industry had my best interests at heart I would be eating more whole foods. But I'm on a budget and I want the best nutrition I can find for the best cost. I just watched the documentary Food Inc. I encourage everyone to watch it. To completely switch to organic is not in the cards right now but I buy local and organic when I can. Juicing is great also but I get the same or better effects from drinking my shake twice a day. And that costs me less than $6.00.
    The problem with supplements is the originator of the formula turns it over to the manufacturer who then turns it over to the accountants with the goal to squeeze the most profit out of the product but substituting low cost ingredients (GMO soy, corn, etc.). They don't care about the quality and they will mislead the uneducated public with their advertising.
    John Anderson is the formulator behind Isagenix. He formulated for over 600 major national brands that you know. He is the 2nd wealthiest man in Arizona. He retired from the formulation biz because of the unethical dealings and snakeoil sales tactics. When he came out of retirement to create Isagenix his goal was find partners who would agree to his no compromise ingredient policy. He did not need the money he did it to fill a void. So here we are 12 years later and closing in on $600 million in sales this year.
    If you want the best fuel for your body then take a look at us.