New 45 Year Old Here

Options
JAJinAK
JAJinAK Posts: 16 Member
Good morning. I did my first workout on Saturday and will be attempting B today. Am I correct that you only do 1 rep of the deadlift?
I haven't been in a gym in a long time and have put on quite a bit of weight. My biggest concern is the loss of strength. I used to be very athletic and considered myself to be fairly strong. I have had a few injuries and frozen shoulder on both shoulders. I still am trying to bring my right one back to health.
Currently, I cannot get the squat bar behind my head so I am doing squats with a dumbbell in front. I figured something is better than nothing. I also may have to do OHP with dumbbells for now since I need that break between my hands.
Glad that I found this group and hope to increase my strength in the next few months.
Jules

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.

Its really amazes me how you still get your workouts done with a frozen shoulder. My mom had it for 3 years and it is so difficult to do some of the daily activities....

The deadlift is 1 set of 5 reps.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I'm the "old lady" around here, I just turned 58, but there are several ladies in their 40's and 50's. :happy: I started SLs for some of the same reasons you did. I always say I don't want to be that little old lady hunched over my walker. That's not my idea of fun!!!

Deadlifts are 1 set of 5 reps (plus warm-ups). Goblet squats are fine and can also be used to work on your form. Sometimes ya gotta do, what you gotta do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :flowerforyou:
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 too. :smile: welcome!
  • JAJinAK
    Options
    Thank you for the clarification on the deadlift.
    Frozen shoulder can be so debilitating. My left one was about 2 years ago but it seemed to progress through much quicker when it started to thaw. My right one is so much worse. I am thinking maybe because it is my dominant hand.
    I played basketball this season and couldn't even get the ball up to shoot. I was sad but I had to try.
    Thanks for the support. This looks like a wonderful group.
    jules
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I'm almost 54 :angry: and began lifting last year.

I've had trouble with both shoulders in the past. Doing weights has help a lot to free them up.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I'm 45 too! :drinker:
  • JAJinAK
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I finished workout B. Was only able to do 8lbs with dumbbells on the OHP. It is a start!

Jules
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, many ladies have to adapt the workout in the beginning but you will be surprised how quickly your strength returns once you get going. good luck and happy lifting :drinker:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I finished workout B. Was only able to do 8lbs with dumbbells on the OHP. It is a start!

Jules

It's most definitely a start! To me, it's harder to do OHP with dumbbells. When you use a barbell, the weight is balanced between both arms, instead of each arm having to work on it's own, if that makes sense. If your gym has fixed weight barbells, try it with a 20 lb and see how it feels.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sorry I'm all late and wrong... Lol. Just saw this today!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome!