Scared to Tears

Options
I currently have a lap band and it has malfunctioned.

The surgeon that has taken over my case does not believe they will be able to repair/replace it and has suggested the sleeve. The whole reason I have the band is because I felt it was less evasive.

I was hoping to get some opinions, both good and bad about the procedure from different people that are just post op and further along. Any advice would be great. I am so nervous about another surgery and the thought of having her cut off part of me is scary.

Replies

• hayz148
    Options
    I am curious about pre op requirements as well as eating instructions for post op, while healing.
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am 4 weeks postop and I am happy with my sleeve. I have lost 19 pounds since my surgery, 27 since my preop diet and 50 from my all time high. It has not been total smooth sailing as I still have occasional discomfort on my right side but I have tolerated my diet great. Many people go back to work within 2-3 weeks. I have a more physical job and hope to be back by the end of the week. I had to follow a 3 month presurgical program where I had monthly visits with my surgeon and a dietician. I also had to have an endoscopy and a psych eval. Ten days prior to surgery I was on a mostly liquid diet to shrink my liver. My surgeon is pretty conservative with advancing diet and I was on clear liquids and protein shakes for the first 10 days postop. I am on full liquids and puréed now, and will continue this for another 2-4 weeks. From there I will advance to soft and then more of a regular diet. I feel pretty good and do not regret my choice one bit. Good luck to you, this is a great group to talk with!
  • lindsey_i_am
    Options
    Every insurance is different with preop requirements. I had about 6 months. I would assume you would have less. I had nutritionist visits, psych eval, and I had to lose 15lbs before they would schedule surgery. I had vsg on 1/21/2014. I lost 14or so pounds the first week and a half. Now my body has been in a stall since. But I am down 24 from when I started my preop diet two weeks before surgery. I have had no issues. NONE. Well only slight constipation but that is apparently pretty standard. Food progression has been slow, just started soft foods. If you have any specific questions, you can message me if you would like. YouTube has been a great resource for me.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve 2.5 years ago and this is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself! I have very few things I cannot tolerate and they are easily avoided. I get full easily and other than the fact that my weight loss has slowed way down, which is normal if frustrating, I have no complaints.

I decided on the sleeve after looking at all the options because I feel it's the most natural of them all. Really all this is doing is surgically reducing the size of your stomach. There is no disconnect and reconnect somewhere else, and nothing left inside. You simply have no stretchy part of the stomach so are permanently restricted on how much you can eat at one sitting. Yes, this is just a tool and you can out eat it and regain just like every other WLS. This requires a lifestyle change to get the weight off and keep it off. But again, it's so worth it.

As for preop diet, I had a month of my surgeon's non-surgical weight loss program/food with two of those weeks being all liquid. Because everything was high protein, I found it much easier to do than I had thought it would be.

Good luck to you as you transition. I think you will really like the sleeve.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I researched this type of surgery for over 5 years until I made the decision last October to have the 'sleeve'. The rationale behind my picking the sleeve was I thought it was less invasive than the band and I didn't like the idea of something foreign in my body that would require several Dr. appointments for adjustments and I had heard so many bad things about it.

Two days prior to my surgery I asked myself what I was doing. The answer was because it is less invasive, no large incision, very short recovery period with very little pain (true), a specific timeline of follow-up with my surgeon, Dr., nutritionist at 2, 4 and 6 weeks, then 3,6,9,12 months . . .I can also contact any member of my team at any time with questions, problems or attend a support group or I can open a discussion on this site with others who have gone through it.

Not everyone's experience is the same, but a lot of my questions and concerns have been answered to my satisfaction and my fears relieved. All of this support has been a tremendous help to me and I have found that I have been able to reciprocate. I hope this helps you. I know you will be fine and feel better for going through this. If you follow all the instructions, YOU WILL SUCCEED.
  • hayz148
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for replying! I am still nervous (who wouldn't be) but you have helped me out a lot. I know I am not going to be a normal pre-op since i already have a band. I did 2 weeks of liquids and that was hard. I would go crazy if I had to do 4, but I know I can soldier through.

I will post a reply after my next visit with what my doc decides on.

Thanks again!
  • 2mouse63
    2mouse63 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    hayz148,

You and I are dealing with the same issues. I am also banded and looking at getting it removed due to the issues from the band. So I am glad to have found this discussion for it has given me some more insight of the different comments from others.

Have you decided on the procedure you are going to have. If so which one and why?
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved August 12, 2013. All I can say is that I love it and it was the best decision I have made. My surgery went well but I had issues with bleeding from my wound since I was on the blood thinners. I was in the hospital for an extra day to be sure I was no longer bleeding. I stayed out from work for about 2 1/2 weeks, I work in an office but do some outside field work. Other than the normal fatigue the first few weeks after surgery, As of right now I can not say that there are any drawbacks, I haven't had any trouble from my sleeve. So I say think hard about it and if you are being led to do it then go for it. I know you will be happy with the results. Good luck: smile:
  • Tootslarue202
    Tootslarue202 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 2/25/2013. It was the BEST decision of my life! I've lose 116 lbs NO complications, and I am at goal weight. I have good restriction, NO deficiency that why I picked the Sleeve. I had 2 friends who have had bypass and Lap band and they regret getting it done. I am able to eat good, steak you get filled very quickly. Milk is fine, I eat yogurt which is good. For my pre-op I just had to do liquids the day before my surgery. Post op I was fine! I went back to work after 3 weeks off. I was very weak week 2 but that's because I wasn't getting in enough protein. If I had to do it again I would!
  • hayz148
    Options
    2mouse63, I still have one more appt with my surgeon to see if they can "fix" the band. After that, we will be getting serious. I am not hopeful they will be able to and neither is my doctor.

shonrecio, thanks, I am trying to keep a brave face.

Toots, that was fast! Any issues with skin?
  • trvandever
    trvandever Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my Surgery on 2/18/2014! Yep ONE week tomorrow! I am back at work today with no problems what so ever! I am a very private person when it comes to this I dont want alot of people knowing at work what I did... and now that I am back I am walking fine standing talking fine... no one has a clue I just had surgery 6 days ago!

So far, I am super excited and cant wait for the new me!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have been in a few meetings, classes with individuals who previously had the band and had so much trouble with it, and I understand it requires a lot of follow-up. Everyone as stated this time is so much better all the way around.

I thought about this type of surgery for 4-5 years and am so very glad they came out with the 'sleeve'. Fastest recovery ever, very little pain after released from hospital, and at my post-surgical visit two weeks later was released for all activities as able, my surgical sites were healed and can hardly see them. I feel great and as long as I follow the guidelines that were set up from the beginning, I know the sleeve was the best option for me.

Karen
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    hayz148, I wish you the best but I have given up on this lapband altogether. It is making me so upset very day as long I still have it in me. When are you seeing the doctor, I go this Thursday morning to see what my doctor is going to for me. I am hoping to get this out and get the sleeve. My poor husband is taken a lot from me with my emotions. :(. Keep me updated about your band and what you are going to do. Love to hear. I will keep you posted as well.
  • hayz148
    hayz148 Posts: 6
    Options
    2mouse63,

I could not get an appointment until March 19th due to the xray equipment she wants to use to check my band and attempt another adjustment.

I understand the emotional issues as, I too, have been driving my husband crazy.

I am ready for answers and with everything I am reading and hearing from other people, if my insurance company will ok it I will be getting the sleeve as well.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    hayz148,

I went to the doctor and he agree that this band is not working for me any more. He said that with all the follow ups and things I am trying to do to get the band to work and lose this weight the insurance company I have will be no problem. Just got to show proof that the band is not working for my anymore. I have to get x-rays also and wait for that appointment. Hope to have that done soon.

I looking forward to get all the check list done so we can submit to insurance for approval. keep me updated as I will you too.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Harm0706 - That is exactly the reason I chose the sleeve to have. All of what you said. I too researched and decided against the band - for the sleeve. Still I am nervous. :flowerforyou:
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    harm0706, Please don't be nervous for you will be fine. just remember why we are doing this and we can do this. At least that is what I am trying to do. going through the process until the approval.
  • hayz148
    hayz148 Posts: 6
    Options
    The sleeve was just not known when I got the band.

My insurance company is making me go through a shortened nutritional program before they will approve my revision. Because of the band being broken I am going in on the 15th to have it fixed and hopefully by the end of the summer I will be going in for my sleeve.

2mouse63 what kind of changes did you have to do after the swap, anything really big that was different?
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have had several friends with the band. Some have had decent results, but many have had problems, (prolapse, allergy, etc. that have required a revision to sleeve or R&Y) My banded friends have issues eating many foods... bread, fruit skins, meat, (even ground meat). I've had my sleeve for 7 months now. It went in "easy". I was only hospitalized overnight, never needed pain meds and went back to work the next week. Many people take a bit longer to recover, but this was my experience. I've lost almost 80 pounds. I wear a size 4-6 today. All my pre-op medical issues are gone! I can eat what I like now, in small quantities; bread, fruit with the skin, salad, steak, it's all good, though I focus on high protein foods. I know it seems more invasive to have part of your stomach removed, but looking at the issues others have had with the band and the lack of problems I've had, I wouldn't trade my experience for the world! Good luck with your procedure.