sYMPTOMS POST CHEMO

Options
barbiecart
barbiecart Posts: 10 Member
I am 2years post chemo & have developed the symptoms I was told I may experience during chemo but didnt!
Suddenly my nails have gone very soft & breaking down the nail bed. Also having problems with sore gums & wobbley teeth. Is this unusual???

Replies

• teddyedward04
    teddyedward04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had very similar problems although it hit me about 6 months after I finished chemo. I broke 2 teeth and my nails started peeling and flaking. I had been doing some reading on a possible link between breast cancer (which is what I had) and low Vitamin D levels. I requested my onc do a Vitamin D test and my results came back extremely deficient. I was started on daily Vit D and my nails improved dramatically and thankfully no more broken teeth. Hope you are keeping well.
  • barbiecart
    barbiecart Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks that is really useful xxxxxxxxxx
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting...I started having some of the side effects come back the winter after I finished chemo. My doctor and his nurse said they'd never heard of that happening - ( coming back after they'd gone away).
  • glynie12
    glynie12 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hi, im 8 months out of treatment and i have developed arthritis due to chemo. my nails also did get week and a couple peeled right off....kinda gross.
    they are back now but i have to keep them trimmed short as they simply break and rip off.
    the arthritis is bad but im pushing thru it with exercise trying to build up the muscle around the joints to ease it a bit. honestly, its helping. the night sweats and hot flashes are beyond controllable.
    but i suppose these things are the price we pay for treatment. mine was also breast cancer. we have to be vigilant with our health and report everything to our 'team' even if you think its nothing. everything symptom or reaction counts

have a great day everyone:heart:
  • Mele1973
    Mele1973 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi :flowerforyou:

I'm stage IV breast cancer with bone and liver mets. They're telling me I'll never be "finished" with treatments, so I don't have that specific info for you, but I will say that I'm really stoked to have an onc who checks my blood regularly (usually weekly) for all kinds of things including vitamins and things I can supplement. I agree with the two ladies above that taking Vit D is a big one in all cancers and not letting any seemingly simple side effect go by the wayside - best to tell your doc, and if he/she is not as interested, you may want to consider getting a naturopath who will watch your blood for deficiencies. These oncs are always so busy. To me, the vitamins and supplements I can take to help my body stay strong and avoid side effects is maybe even more important than the actual treatments (my opinion).

Glad you reached out. Hugs!
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just joined MFP a couple of weeks ago and am a breast cancer survivor. One of the doctors suggested and the onc approved me taking AF-Pro during chemo/radiation for my fingernail. They would split up and down instead of across. It's an amino acid protein which helps with nails and hair. The bottle said to take some in the morning and some in the evening, but the doctor told me it is just as effective to take it all at the same time.