February workout check-in thread

Options

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    cruisin I think you are doing awesome going that low! I think it works everything more compared to around parallel (at least thats how it feels to me now that I've gotten much lower). For your form, I'd agree that your chest is going down too much. What's that expression? T*ts up? I think some people don't go below parallel based on how they were taught i.e. bodybuilding, etc.

And why was he on the smith anyways? shows how much he knows :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Had to shorten my workout due to a few issues today. First, I had to wait on the squat rack since there was a woman using it (yay! another chick in the free weight room). She wasn't even close to going parallel (boo!). Then, my arm is still sore from scrubbing my floors a week ago, so I'm laying off the upper body. However, I did do some deadlifts :bigsmile: The nice gentleman who tells me I'm strong struck up a convo about his illness the past week, so that took up some time. Anyway:

Squats: 155 lbs all reps and sets
    Deadlift: 150 lbs. My max is 225 but I didn't want to push it on the arm, but I wanted to get some of those in.

Then the elliptical. I'm disappointed in myself because I only did about 7 minutes, but I felt so tired on that thing.

ETA: The low bar still feels weird to me, but I'm still trying to use it.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been doing the program for 4 weeks now, and I just found the board (thank goodness someone linked to it from another topic!). Posting from yesterday:

workout A:

squat: warmup 1x5x45lb
    program: 5x5x115lb

bench press: warmup 1x5x45lb
    program: 1x3x80; 5x5x75**

barbell row: no warmup
    program: 5x5x70

** this is where i think i need a thinker, not a spotter... i was planning during squats about how to load the bar for bench press (former dancer, so the lifts where i can use my legs are way easier for me than upper body!)... and i added wrong. couldn't figure out why i failed on only 3 in the first set, so i thought i was deloading to 65... but no, i'm an idiot. i didn't figure out that i had actually lifted 75, not 65 until the 2nd set of barbell row. then i had to sit down & laugh at myself for 2 minutes...
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Now, I have an issue I need advice on. I've been working on form on squats and was feeling pretty good about it, at least as far as depth goes. Last night, I was on my last set and a gentleman about my age was doing squats on the Smith. He came up to me and asked if I would mind some advice. I've seen this guy before and have had a short chat with him. He's obviously not a stranger to weight lifting and told me as much. He's a high school coach, used to compete, does some personal training, etc, etc.

So, he proceeds to tell me I'm going too low, I only need to barely get parallel, and I'm leaning over too far, causing me to use my back too much and he's worried when the weight gets heavier, it'll cause me to hurt my back. I told him I use my legs/hips/glutes and don't really feel like I use my back much at all. I've never had any problems with my back after squats, but at times I do feel like I lean over a bit too much. TBH, that, along with depth, is one of the reasons I deloaded. I think part of the leaning, is because of bar placement, and that's been on my mind the last few workouts.

Long story short, I've uploaded a video for y'all to take a look at. It's not my best work, lol. It was the end of the workout and he kinda blew my confidence. :grumble: Unfortunately, you can't really see my feet, but I think you'll still be to tell where they are. :happy: I'm kind of embarrassed to post it, but I really need some input. I know taking some random guy's word that he knows what he's talking about maybe isn't the best idea, but he did bum me out a bit. I've been frustrated with squats anyway, and that did. not. help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPcBCd43HY

First, take anything someone who uses the smith machine with a grain of salt. Second, you are getting to parallel and just below. You are fine and if it is comfortable for you, that is what matters. For the tipping forward, you seem to get the hips moving up, but have trouble keeping the core solid so that the hip is driving your upper body up. That seems to tip you forward and then you are using your core to play catch up with the hips and doing a partial "good morning" movement where your lower back is forcing your upper body back up. Work on taking a deep breath at the top of the movement and tightening the core around that belly filling breath. You can also keep mental cues and think "chest out" when starting back up. If this doesn't help, then work on some core strength so it can keep up with the squat weight.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been doing the program for 4 weeks now, and I just found the board (thank goodness someone linked to it from another topic!). Posting from yesterday:

Hello and welcome to the group!

Looks like everyone has been doing fantastic work. My first workout in over a week because I've been out on a cruise. I took some workout clothes but they unfortunately never made it out of the suitcase! :sad: :bigsmile:

So just to get my muscles used to doing more work than 12-ounce curls (:drinker:), I ran through all the lifts doing a few sets at warm-up weight, then 2 sets at previous work weights. Everything felt really good and I'm hoping that by Wednesday I can jump right back in where I was. It's amazing how fast the strength seems to disappear after a little time off!!!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Hello and welcome to the group!

Looks like everyone has been doing fantastic work. My first workout in over a week because I've been out on a cruise. I took some workout clothes but they unfortunately never made it out of the suitcase! :sad: :bigsmile:

So just to get my muscles used to doing more work than 12-ounce curls (:drinker:), I ran through all the lifts doing a few sets at warm-up weight, then 2 sets at previous work weights. Everything felt really good and I'm hoping that by Wednesday I can jump right back in where I was. It's amazing how fast the strength seems to disappear after a little time off!!!

Welcome home! Did you have fun on your cruise? You'll have to tell us about it!

Hwillmott and Jstout, thanks for the encouragement and advice. I've been watching some videos on grip placement and I think that might help some, along with keeping my core and upper back tight. Also, tits up! :happy:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Now, I have an issue I need advice on. I've been working on form on squats and was feeling pretty good about it, at least as far as depth goes. Last night, I was on my last set and a gentleman about my age was doing squats on the Smith. He came up to me and asked if I would mind some advice. I've seen this guy before and have had a short chat with him. He's obviously not a stranger to weight lifting and told me as much. He's a high school coach, used to compete, does some personal training, etc, etc.

So, he proceeds to tell me I'm going too low, I only need to barely get parallel, and I'm leaning over too far, causing me to use my back too much and he's worried when the weight gets heavier, it'll cause me to hurt my back. I told him I use my legs/hips/glutes and don't really feel like I use my back much at all. I've never had any problems with my back after squats, but at times I do feel like I lean over a bit too much. TBH, that, along with depth, is one of the reasons I deloaded. I think part of the leaning, is because of bar placement, and that's been on my mind the last few workouts.

Long story short, I've uploaded a video for y'all to take a look at. It's not my best work, lol. It was the end of the workout and he kinda blew my confidence. :grumble: Unfortunately, you can't really see my feet, but I think you'll still be to tell where they are. :happy: I'm kind of embarrassed to post it, but I really need some input. I know taking some random guy's word that he knows what he's talking about maybe isn't the best idea, but he did bum me out a bit. I've been frustrated with squats anyway, and that did. not. help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPcBCd43HY

First, take anything someone who uses the smith machine with a grain of salt. Second, you are getting to parallel and just below. You are fine and if it is comfortable for you, that is what matters. For the tipping forward, you seem to get the hips moving up, but have trouble keeping the core solid so that the hip is driving your upper body up. That seems to tip you forward and then you are using your core to play catch up with the hips and doing a partial "good morning" movement where your lower back is forcing your upper body back up. Work on taking a deep breath at the top of the movement and tightening the core around that belly filling breath. You can also keep mental cues and think "chest out" when starting back up. If this doesn't help, then work on some core strength so it can keep up with the squat weight.

Depth is perfect and in comp would be a white light :bigsmile:

I agree with the others, your hips are coming up quicker then your using your back to get the bar up the rest of the way, try and get your torso more upright but this is just a small form tweak :drinker:
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Last week was crazy, so I didn't get around to posting. Last night was workout B.

Squat:
    Warm up: 2x5 45lbs. 1x5 70lbs.
    Work: 5x5 110lbs.

OHP:
    Warm up: 2x5 45lbs.
    Work: 5,5,5,5,4 (grrr!) 65lbs.

Deadlift: 1x5 165lbs.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I guess it's normal for strength to sort of peeter out when you start a cut. I had to drop everything again this morning (day four of a -15% deficit). Poopyheads.

Workout B
    Squats: 145lbs for 5/2 [DROPPED TO] 135lbs 5/5/4

OHP: 50lbs for 1x5 [DROPPED TO] 45lbs 5/4/2 :grumble:

DL: 135lbs 1x5

Leg press: 200lbs 5/5/5/5
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Workout B today
    Squats: warmup 1x5x45; 1x5x95; work: 5x5x120

OHP: warmup 1x5x45; 1x3x65 then 4x5x60 (couldn't keep going with 65)

DL: 1x5x155

someday i'll learn to lift first, shovel after :)
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Did A this evening only because I was at the gym, but didn't do squats since I did B yesterday. Was mainly there to try out my new running shoes on the indoor track before taking them outside...(although there wasn't anyone on the 2 racks for like 20 minutes!:noway: )

Rows: 3x5 70lbs
    Bench 3x5 70lbs - 3rd time at this weight so time to move on up! A little afraid to since I don't like using a spotter unless its someone I know (I'd ask a random person if I wasn't doing so many sets). Maybe next A day I can drag the bench over to the rack if its not terribly busy.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Should've been workout B today, but I wanted to get back on track to have hubby be my spotter, so I decided to work on my squats and some other accessory stuff.

Squats 5x5 @ 45 to work on t!ts up and figured out the problem - I have no t!ts, lol. Seriously though, I felt like I was able to get my chest up most of the time and felt much better. Did 1 set @ 55 and 1 @ 65 to test my new form at a little higher weight. Messed around with different grips to see which ones helped and also tried looking at different spots. I think I got this. :smile:

Did some close grip bench press, rack pulls & RDLs with some pauses to work on grip strength, assisted chin-ups and dips and threw in a few Roman Chairs just for good measure.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Today was A for me. It was a pretty crappy workout TBH. The girls had a 2 hour delay this morning due to snow, so I wasn't able to go bright and early like I planned. The daycare at my gym is only open until noon, so I had to haul butt to get there and only had about an hour to work out. My rows were really rushed there at the end and my last set was terrible form. I also did not eat before I went this time and could really tell the difference. Blah!

Squats
    2x5 @ 45 lb. warm up
    5x5 @ 75 lb. working - ended up with lower back/hip pain again. I know I'm doing something wrong. Maybe arching my back too much coming up? Will stay here to work on form next time.

Related question - Is it okay to do more than 5 sets to tweak form?

Bench
    1x5 @ 45 lb. warm up
    1x1, 2x3, 1x4, 1x2 @ 65 lb. - Felt soo much heavier today and I was terrified I was going to drop it on myself. Not sure if working out fasted was the problem or if I'm just a big sissy! Lol. I'll definitely be staying here next time.

Rows
    No warm up - Out of time
    5x5 @ 70 lb. - was supposed to do 65 lb., but didn't have enough time left to set up/load a bar so I just used one of the preloaded ones. Form was shoddy on the last set because I was trying to rush. By the last set, I literally had 3 minutes left to get up to the locker room, grab my stuff, come back downstairs, and sign my son out. Shew! Will probably stay here next time too just because I wasn't supposed to be at 70 yet anyway.

@cruising - I have a dude at my gym who is always trying to give me advice. I think he's hitting on me, but I'm not sure. Today, he told me that doing the leg press with one foot would reshape my whole body. Whatever, I just smile and move on. Glad you were able to tweak your form and are feeling better!
  • lizafava2
    Options
    Today was B for me. Normally I run before I lift - not usually *right* before since I run on my treadmill at home or outside then go to the gym to lift, but within an hour or 2 of lifting. Today I didn't run before and I did feel stiff. Should warm up more...

Squats - warmups: 2x5 @ 45, 2x5@95 work 5x5 @ 135. Really working on my form here and I feel like this is a good weight to park at for awhile while I get it down. I think I pulled something in my right butt-check, but otherwise I think it went great (trying to keep tits up, lol, works the butt more I think).

OHP - warm up: 2x5 @ 45 work 5x5 @ 75. I totally expected to fail but I rocked this weight. I feel like a super-champion doing OHP even though its hard as *kitten*. :)

DL - 155 5x1. This was heavy but doable. I don't know what my deal is but I lack confidence with my form, big time. I think I am going to do deadlifts at 135 (so I have the big girl weights at the right height) for more sets so I get the practice. Its not a surprise that I feel so much more confident with my squats since I do them about 100 times as often.

Curls with the curl-bar 5x10 @ 40lb. I really hate this part of the gym but oh well :)

Then I went home and walked on the TM on a steep incline to work out the weirdness in my butt. I think it worked. Did some core work for about 10 minutes and then realized I had reached my limit today, utterly. Had some dinner and a bourbon and called it a day!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    So, had my session yesterday. I knew that trying to teach myself from SS in the gym wasn't working, but that if i at least had a session with a trainer then I could use that as a jumping off point and work from there. I knew he would teach it ground up, but tried to go with the flow. I am dreadful though I have to question everything and why things are called what they are ('triple extension' lol). Anyway, I think it's getting there - but the weak spot for me is getting my arms under fast enough. Also, I couldn't drop it so was catching the bar on my thighs every time on the way down. I'm going to have a couple of lovely bruises there, need to learn how to drop the bar under control!

Got up to nearly 50kg but psyched myself out. But I'm excited I have somewhere to start from.

After an hour of that I thought I'd make the most of my time child free, and did some squats. Got up to 70kg and did 5 (nearly bailed after 3), and then 3 (and did bail). Form has broken down and I'm standing up in about 3 movements. I think I'll drop it right back to somewhere I know i can work with good form (60kg probably) and if I can connect together more than one day a week at the gym *smh* push the linear progression back up.

It was just so good to be back in the gym though!

Sore everywhere today, forearms, triceps, shoulders, hamstrings. Serve me right!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Lizafava the SS setup checklist for deadlifts is around here somewhere, I find that really helpful.

Cruising - I don't have your no t!ts problem, but staying tight and keeping my chest up while keeping my head neutral is hard!

hwillmott - you don't have to have the same spotter for each set. I have quite long breaks between sets so I tend to just ask someone to spot me a set. If they are still around and having a break when I'm ready for my next set (and they have done as I asked and not rowed the fricking bar up!) I might ask them again, otherwise I'll ask someone else. People usually like to be helpful, and if they aren't in the middle of a circuit or something are usually happy to feel big and strong and helpful and knowledgeable. :)
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x5 @ 45 to work on t!ts up and figured out the problem - I have no t!ts, lol. Seriously though, I felt like I was able to get my chest up most of the time and felt much better. Did 1 set @ 55 and 1 @ 65 to test my new form at a little higher weight. Messed around with different grips to see which ones helped and also tried looking at different spots. I think I got this. :smile:

That moment when you find your perfect stance, perfect bar position, perfect grip and hand position and everything falls into place :love:
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    5x5 @ 75 lb. working - ended up with lower back/hip pain again. I know I'm doing something wrong. Maybe arching my back too

Definitely work on form -- but I'll share (again, heh.) that back/hip warm ups dynamic stretching AND foam rolling help me stay back and hip pain free - consider modifying your warm up routine and adding some time to roll out before and after lifting...?

Seriously - I big-puffy-heart-love to roll.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    5x5 @ 75 lb. working - ended up with lower back/hip pain again. I know I'm doing something wrong. Maybe arching my back too

Definitely work on form -- but I'll share (again, heh.) that back/hip warm ups dynamic stretching AND foam rolling help me stay back and hip pain free - consider modifying your warm up routine and adding some time to roll out before and after lifting...?

Seriously - I big-puffy-heart-love to roll.

Ditto on the foam rolling. And the lacrosse ball on the piriformis roll is so painful but feels so. darn. good!

If it helps tho, I get hip pain usually if I don't pay enough attention to the knees caving in. Or at least that's what I noticed was similar when I got more pain than usual, anyway.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lizafava the SS setup checklist for deadlifts is around here somewhere, I find that really helpful.

Here you go...:smile:

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

Once you're in the proper position, you don't drop your butt -- you lift your chest. Don't lower the hips after you touch the bar with your shins.