Lost at how to start

Options
cortmom
cortmom Posts: 23 Member
I am 43 years and have been on cortisone since my dx of Vasculitis in 2006. I have had off and on battles with my illness and my medicines. The weight comes off with reduction of cortisone but I am now down to 6mg which will not be reduced since I am having inflammation again. So here is the problem. I want to exercise but have the fatigue, pain and inflammation going on. I had 2 heart attacks from my disease and worry about stress on my heart but yet I know I need to get this weight off. I feel I am fighting an endless battle. I just got a stepper and tried it out. I could not do much at all and had to increase the resistance just to do a slow but workout kind of step. I know it takes time but I do not even know if I am doing it right. I eat healthy but need to get exercise in especially on the many rainy days we have been having. Help.

Replies

• JanisMay67
    Options
    I'm much the same as you. Meds keep me going, but I'm unable to exercise. The only form of exercise I get is doing the housework - which isn't too bad calorie burning wise - and has made me feel a bit better about my lack of "proper" exercise. I suffer from bad fatigue too - and after the house is done, I've nothing left.

I am now into week 4 of my diet. All I'm doing is calorie counting, and have lost 9 lbs in the first three weeks, a weight loss I am more than happy with. Yes, I know it will be slow - but I always think that weight lost slowly is more likely to stay off. Plus - it took an awful long time to creep up, so I know I'm in this for the long haul. I'm aiming for 2 lbs a week, and I think I have my levels set right.

I'm hoping that as the weight goes, that I will be able to be more mobile and thus start exercising again. At the moment I have trouble even walking, let alone anything else. That is my motivation - I miss walking so much. So I'm not going to let it worry me. I'm doing the best I can - and it's working.
  • kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also deal with chronic pain on a daily basis - but when I look back on where I was to where I am now - I am doing so much better. So I continue to move forward. I needed to have an attitude adjustment:laugh: I was really down on myself on what I couldn't do - now I look at what I can do! I am more positive and when I am able to do something that I use to do, but couldn't do any longer due to the extreme pain, I am so proud of myself for doing it. I have found that the most important thing is to stay positive! It has been a struggle for me over the past 4 years - I take 1 step forward and then 2-3 steps backwards - but I remember to stay positive. Finally I am starting to see progress, but it hasn't been an easy ride. Stay focused, be good to yourself, and stay positive. Remember maybe not today, but maybe tomorrow, if not tomorrow maybe the next day - but it will come if you keep trying to move forward. Celebrate every victory and praise yourself for every accomplishment - you deserve it! Some mornings just getting out of bed is a monumental task for us. People without pain have no clue:grumble: . So if I walk a little slower - I'm still walking, if it takes me longer to make dinner (because I need to rest) - I'm still making dinner(there was a time, not very long ago, that I couldn't do any of the cooking or housework)- each task some days are real victories for us - always remember that (I forgot and it really made me frustrated at what I couldn't do). Move as much as you can whenever you can. Stay strong and know you can do this one step at a time!:flowerforyou: Hugs and More Hugs cortmom and JanisMay67 on the great jobs you are doing!
  • cortmom
    Options
    So far I have been doing only 10 minutes a day on the stepper. It is just walking but that is better then nothing. I will keep moving so I can get myself at least healthy and my blood pumping. I need to. I feel for you I am also like that fatigue easily, pain most of the time and getting the basics done is very hard. I also agree those that are not going through it do not know. I have a hard time with family even knowing or helping out. Congratulate yourself for 9 lbs because that is a lot and that is great job. You should be happy with that. I would be happy with that. My only weight loss I ever seem to get is when I reduce cortisone. I will take it but really hope some of this exercising will take a few more lbs off and give me a little bit more energy.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Just keep what you are doing, a little at a time you will be able to do more. When the weather is nice go outside and just walk around. I have fibro, when I started I couldn't even walk a mile, now two years later I am running. Do what you feel like you are able to do and just don't give up!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,755 Member
    Options
    Like the rest of you, exercise is very hard for me as well due to pain. One thing I can do when not hurting too bad is indoor walking. If you go on YouTube, look up Leslie Sansone (she's known for her Walk Away the Pounds videos). Many have put exercise videos on YouTube and I highly recommend trying a 1 mile. Basically, they are non-impact exercises where you walk in place and do some basic movements like knee lifts, kicks, stepping side to side, and so on. If there's something you can't do, you can change it to something easier. For example. I have nerve damage in my groin and adductor on my left leg, so if that nerve is flared, I can't do knee lifts without making the pain worse so I'll do front kicks of something else instead. While you do these videos, it's counted down as being .25 of a mile, .5 of a mile, and so on. There's a warm up and cool down as well. I know one of my friends has found other "walk at home" workouts as well on there.

The other exercise I recommend is swimming, but you'd have to find an indoor pool to do so. Stretching and floor exercises are great too, I'm sure they can be found on YouTube as well. I have to find something on there I can do, too!

Every little bit counts. One other thing is to check with your doctor first about the exercise in case he/she has some recommendations and to make sure the exercise you choose is okay for your condition.

I wish you the best of luck!

Kathy
  • cortmom
    Options
    Thanks Grubb1019 for the positive thoughts and reminder. I was in a Wheel chair at the being when I was being diagnosed with the Vasculitis. I have come a long why from then. I am just at that frustration phase where my brain wants to and my body does not. I will keep pushing I have too. Pain meds side effects are so bad on me that I do not take them so hopefully the exercise will help as well. I am going to be the slow and steady turtle that wins the race.
  • cortmom
    Options
    Kathy thanks that is a something I will check out as well.
  • ladytartis
    Options
    After doing chemo and radiaton in 2009 i known have fibromylaiga i been exercising since may 2013 i started off slow work my way up to doing an hour on exercise bike in october i added a 1 mle dvd to it january i could only do 30 min cause of pain know it just depend on the day and if im pain free.
  • jeninthed
    jeninthed Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with fibro in November of last year. In February of last year I had started my weight loss journey and was doing well when the massive fatigue hit in about October. I have since gained 15 pounds back and am really in search of buddies to keep me going on my journey. Others that know what I am dealing with as obstacles!

I bought a treadmill in January and walking in short distances seems all I can do right now.

Please feel free to add me.