hungry all the time!

momRN2B
momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
To those who breastfeed, do u find that you are hungry all the time? If yes, what do u do? I found it easier to eat healthy and stay within my calorie goals while pregnant then now while breastfeeding. All i want to do all day is eat! Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    In the beginning I was starving! I ended up not getting too serious about losing weight until my baby started nursing a bit less. How old is your baby and how many calories are you consuming?
  • YES!!! i BF and i starve all the time!!! and when i work out its worse.. so i just try to choose healthier snacks like apples dipped in peanut butter or a bananna. I understand and feel ur pain girl lol.. sometimes i just snack on a teaspoon of peanut butter.. plus its protien!! good luck!
  • momRN2B
    In the beginning I was starving! I ended up not getting too serious about losing weight until my baby started nursing a bit less. How old is your baby and how many calories are you consuming?

My baby is 4 weeks old and i have my calories set to 1700 net since i tend to overeat on friday and saturday i put my calorie goal a bit lower for the rest of the week. I am not exercising much since i have not been cleared yet to workout and the weather here doesn't allow me to get out too often, so not doing much walking either. (Its been snowing on and off and icy so its hard to get out with my 3 kids.) I try to make healthy food choices in order to maximize my calories but i still want to eat more.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    I just had a peek at your diary, and it doesn't look like you're counting your BFing calories. You can add Bfing calories to your diary either as a food or exercise, and that will allow you more calories to eat. ie. Your goal is currently 1700, but once you add BFing to your diary it will give you 500 extra calories to eat (I say 500 because it's the average for a new mom who is BFing full time), so you based on that you should be eating 2100 calories each day. There are a few different entries for BFing in the food database, and some of them also track your macros, which I found handy when I was trying to lose. I noticed some days you're low on protien. Try to keep your protein intake up, it will help with the hunger. Otherwise your diary looks quite healthy, so you're definitely on the right track!

ETA: I just noticed your comment about eating less during the week to make up for over eating on weekends - I've never tracked food on weekends. I don't go crazy, but I don't worry if I indluge a little. Helps keep my sanity in check, and I don't think it's ever impeded my weight loss.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    My baby is 15 weeks old. I eat 1850 calories, which for me is losing half a pound a week, plus 500 cals for breastfeeding, plus my exercise calories. So most days I'm eating at least 2600 calories a day and most weeks (when I've been good and stayed in the green) I've lost weight nicely. There are definitely days when I'm really hungry and on those I try really hard to stick to raw, low calorie fresh fruit and veg, because on those days I need quantity to fill me. Also on those days I try and drink twice as much to help me feel fuller. I know if I tried to lose more than half a pound a week I'd just be constantly hungry and I'm not going to attempt to lose more until we've started solids.

I know it's hard to exercise with little ones to look after. I've got five from baby to 11 years old. But where there's a will there's a way! Sometimes I sneak in 20 mins of Zumba dvd or 10 minutes of squats or a few minutes of jumping jacks. The kids think I'm hilarious! And I've just bought an adult size jump rope, so I can skip in the garden with them! In the summer gardening (mowing, weeding, digging, planting) adds to my exercise calories as well.
  • momRN2B
    I just had a peek at your diary, and it doesn't look like you're counting your BFing calories. You can add Bfing calories to your diary either as a food or exercise, and that will allow you more calories to eat. ie. Your goal is currently 1700, but once you add BFing to your diary it will give you 500 extra calories to eat (I say 500 because it's the average for a new mom who is BFing full time), so you based on that you should be eating 2100 calories each day. There are a few different entries for BFing in the food database, and some of them also track your macros, which I found handy when I was trying to lose. I noticed some days you're low on protien. Try to keep your protein intake up, it will help with the hunger. Otherwise your diary looks quite healthy, so you're definitely on the right track!

ETA: I just noticed your comment about eating less during the week to make up for over eating on weekends - I've never tracked food on weekends. I don't go crazy, but I don't worry if I indulge a little. Helps keep my sanity in check, and I don't think it's ever impeded my weight loss.

I dont add breastfeeding calories separately since its built in to my net calories. Originally i set my calories at 1900. Since due to my research using a few different calorie calculators, for me to lose 1 lb. a week i should be eating approximately 1400 calories. So 1400+500 for breastfeeding = 1900 net. Then since i eat a couple hundred calories more on friday and saturday i decided to lower my weekly calorie goal to 1700 to make up for it.
  • cshmom21
    cshmom21 Posts: 11 Member
    Yes! Hungry all. the. time. Today I ate almost 3000 calories. Try to fill up on fruits and veggies, but find they don't keep me full for long. So I don't have any advice, but would love input from others! I am hoping that since my LO is starting some solids my appetite will even out.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    I'm right there with you in the hunger department!! My baby just turned 3 months and though I don't BF, I exclusively pump so I know how many oz per day I get. According to MFP using 20 calories per oz, I range from 900-1000 extra calories per day. Some days I struggle to eat those calories and some days I want to eat my arm off. I'm trying to choose healthier options, but it is hard with 4 young boys and working full time. I think for me not eating enough calories is my worst enemy, unfortunately. I need to make myself eat more, healthier options obviously, to help my body lose weight.
  • foxytrotter82
    foxytrotter82 Posts: 65 Member
    Yes, hungry all the time. This was a constant feeling for the first year. I'd say maybe until I got my period back when she turned 11 months. She's now 17months and eating more solid food MEALS (she didn't until recently, just stuck to the boob constantly).

I only recently started losing weight so I don't have much advice, just remember your body is a fricken machine right now, producing and providing nourishment for another human to grow big and strong. Of course you are hungry.

I would try to get as much protein and healthy fats as possible. I've recently started replacing one meal a day with a green smoothie (lots of yummy recipes on pinterest or google) and found an organic vegan non-gmo brown rice protein powder to add to them. That gives me low sugar, low carb straight up protein, 16g (a whole can of tuna has 13g aprx)

Eat a ton of raw almonds (toasted with what ever salts and seasoning you want)

BIG HUGE *kitten* SALADS. Like a giant popcorn bowl full. lots of dark leafy greens, veggies I like, shredded chicken breast, grated cheese, avocado. It takes me so long to eat but it FILLS ME UP. and keeps me full for a long time.

and full fat yogurt.

Snacks - fruit almost always.

If you are sticking to a mostly whole foods (not processed/packaged foods) you have no reason to feel guilty about being hungry. EAT. find the foods you love to snack on and fill you up, modify to be healthier if you need to. stay focused on energy boosting and high protein foods. you can do it.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but the mention of full-fat yogurt made me think.

I eat a lot of Greek yogurt because of the protein (and because it's yummy), but I eat 2% instead of 0%. Most Greek yogurt out there is fat-free, so you have to look. I like Fage 2%. It only has 20 more calories than the fat-free Fage but tastes way better!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member

ETA: I just noticed your comment about eating less during the week to make up for over eating on weekends - I've never tracked food on weekends. I don't go crazy, but I don't worry if I indulge a little. Helps keep my sanity in check, and I don't think it's ever impeded my weight loss.

I dont add breastfeeding calories separately since its built in to my net calories. Originally i set my calories at 1900. Since due to my research using a few different calorie calculators, for me to lose 1 lb. a week i should be eating approximately 1400 calories. So 1400+500 for breastfeeding = 1900 net. Then since i eat a couple hundred calories more on friday and saturday i decided to lower my weekly calorie goal to 1700 to make up for it.

You are likely netting below your BMR on your lower days which would contribute to hunger. Owen is four months old and if I eat less than 2000 calories per day I literally feel like I am starving. Most days are closer to 2500. I am losing since I started working out, but slowly. Breastfeeding makes it tricky to figure out calories, but hunger is a huge indicator to me to eat more.

You also could be underestimating your activity level. I am staying at home right now and assumed myself sedentary since I wasn't working out until recently. Well, I got a fitbit and am easily hitting 10k steps per day without even trying. That makes me moderately active even without a workout. I don't know about you, but when I get that breastfeeding hunger I almost cannot control it and then go overboard. Increasing your calories and making sure you eat every three hours should help. It's the only thing that did it fir me. Good luck!!

P.s- I went to scoobys calculator and put in my info with a moderate activity level, set to a 15% deficit and then added 500 back for breastfeeding. 2300-2500 means I dont even have to worry about indulgences. I often have plenty of room for them.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    My 2.5 month old is bottle fed during the day and breastfed in the evening/night. I pump about 40oz a day and a good estimate would be that she eats approximately 15-20oz in the evening/night hours.

I eat AT LEAST 2500 calories a day and always eat back my exercise calories, as well. My average has been about 3200 and I am 10lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight (I gained 19lbs during pregnancy). I don't do anything special, no hardcore gym workouts and just go on walks here and there with the family when it's above 30* and I eat fairly well.

I snack all. day. long. I have a bag of almonds, dried fruit, oranges, bananas and dairy-free oatmeal cookies (my poor baby can't have dairy.... but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't really miss it) in my desk drawer and purse at all times. I drink around 90oz of water a day because, well, I'm a thirsty lady!

Good luck (:
  • momRN2B

You are likely netting below your BMR on your lower days which would contribute to hunger. Owen is four months old and if I eat less than 2000 calories per day I literally feel like I am starving. Most days are closer to 2500. I am losing since I started working out, but slowly. Breastfeeding makes it tricky to figure out calories, but hunger is a huge indicator to me to eat more.

You also could be underestimating your activity level. I am staying at home right now and assumed myself sedentary since I wasn't working out until recently. Well, I got a fitbit and am easily hitting 10k steps per day without even trying. That makes me moderately active even without a workout. I don't know about you, but when I get that breastfeeding hunger I almost cannot control it and then go overboard. Increasing your calories and making sure you eat every three hours should help. It's the only thing that did it fir me. Good luck!!

P.s- I went to scoobys calculator and put in my info with a moderate activity level, set to a 15% deficit and then added 500 back for breastfeeding. 2300-2500 means I dont even have to worry about indulgences. I often have plenty of room for them.

I went to scoobys calculator and put in my stats. My BMR is 1419 calories. At lightly active with a 20% calorie reduction i get 1561 calories. Add 500 for breastfeeding that would give me 2061 calories. Should i set that as my net and add exercise separately or just eat 2061 calories and no exercise calories. Still confused about activity level and exercise calories.

Oh and if I set it like u did to moderate activity with a 15% reduction i get 1870 calories. So plus 500 for breastfeeding i would get 2370 calories.

Do u think my difficulty in getting the last 10 lbs off is cuz i am undereating, so my body is hanging onto it. Right now my weekly goal is being met, meaning 1700 calories a day times 7 days, some days i overeat and some days i undereat. but it evens out. Basically over a week i eat 11900 calories (1700 x 7=11900) Is that too little. You can look at my diary to get a better idea what i mean.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member

I went to scoobys calculator and put in my stats. My BMR is 1419 calories. At lightly active with a 20% calorie reduction i get 1561 calories. Add 500 for breastfeeding that would give me 2061 calories. Should i set that as my net and add exercise separately or just eat 2061 calories and no exercise calories. Still confused about activity level and exercise calories.

Oh and if I set it like u did to moderate activity with a 15% reduction i get 1870 calories. So plus 500 for breastfeeding i would get 2370 calories.

Do u think my difficulty in getting the last 10 lbs off is cuz i am undereating, so my body is hanging onto it. Right now my weekly goal is being met, meaning 1700 calories a day times 7 days, some days i overeat and some days i undereat. but it evens out. Basically over a week i eat 11900 calories (1700 x 7=11900) Is that too little. You can look at my diary to get a better idea what i mean.

I would figure "light activity" as your daily activity, meaning you're not glued to the couch all day or anything like that. Anything more than that, I'd eat back the majority of the calories burned, so I'd say 2061 plus exercise calories. (I don't eat back all my exercise calories because I think HRMs, MFP, and machines (in the order from least exaggerated to most) exaggerate burns a bit. I make sure to eat back at least half.) Maybe with "moderate activity," I wouldn't eat back exercise calories and would only eat a little extra if you have a crazy high-burn workout.

However, if you're talking about those "last ten pounds," chances are those are there to stay until you wean (sorry). It's still good to be sure you're not eating too much for the sake of not gaining weight, though.

On the other hand it is certainly possible to undereat and have that lead to stalled weight loss. I've thought of that in my case, but if I eat more, I gain. If I eat my goal calories, I lose either incredibly slowly (.5-1 lb/month) or not at all. I've made peace with not losing until I wean.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    When my son was a young infant (he's now 12mo) & EBF I was starving 24/7 & easily out-ate my husband. Calorie cutting was just not an option for me, so I focused on eating nutrient-dense, high fiber & high-protein foods. At about 6mo, as my son began eating solids, I added in light exercise. My appetite was still large, so I regained my pregnancy weight (12lbs). Now that he is a year old & only nursing 4-6x/day my appetite is back to normal & I have increased my activity a great deal. I'm down 23lbs so far in 2014 - 10lbs below PP weight & going strong!
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    omg i was living in the kitchen for the first 6 months. didnt gain any, but i sure did eat LOL. it calmed down when i introduced solids.

now thats he is older (2) and only nurses 2x a day MAYBE my appetite is back to normal.
  • anahdz1306
    anahdz1306 Posts: 23 Member
    I also get very hungry. I think about food all the time. What I've been doing are smoothies with kale spinach and fruit. It may sound gross but it's actually good and healthy. You should look up green smoothie recipes or you can be creative and make up your own. I just had a smoothie. I used 2 cups of kale 1 cup of baby spinach 1 16.9 oz bottle of Lipton diet 0 calorie green tea 1 cup of frozen blueberries 3/4 cup of frozen mango half a banana 1 gala apple 1/2 a tsp of vanilla some cinnamon 2 raw eggs and some flaxseed. Looks like dirt but I like it. I may need to add some more vanilla. It makes 2 big servings . Only about 300 calories per serving 9g fiber and 11g of protein give it a try I hope this helped