eating too little?

Options
I was sleeved on 2/4/13 and am not sure if I am eating enough. I don't feel hungry and go all day with out eating. until dinner time. should I be eating more at this point?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be spreading your protein and water. Follow your surgeons and nutritionist packet. Usually half cup of food 3 times a day and one snack. Are you hitting your protein goals and getting all your vitamins. Hunger usually returns everyone tells me in 3 to 6 months and you need to have trained yourself to your new lifestyle.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? You have to consume protein to start and maintain weight loss so if you are getting 80g of protein and 64 oz of fluid you are doing fine at this point. If not you need to start gently consuming throughout th eday so you hit these levels.

The body needs fuel. You are going to enter a phase of rapid weight loss (provided you maintain protein and fluid) with very little calories but you will need to develop positive eating habits in order to be completely successful. Learn to eat three meals (about 4 oz total right now), weigh and track everything.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Did your surgeon give you a plan as to what to eat? You absolutely have to stick to that, and you really should space it out throughout the day. No one feels hungry right after surgery, but whether we like it or not, we HAVE to intake the proper amounts of protein and water to be healthy and successful. I am 4 months out and I still have to eat by schedule because I don't get hungry.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to follow the schedule of meals/snacks as close to the letter as possible in order to make my surgery the success I want it to be. I am a big water drinker, but have noticed I'm not drinking as much water as usual post-surgery and I'm working on this. It has been drilled into my head that in order to be successful we have to have 5-6 meals/day, starting always with Protein rich first and to measure 4-5 ounces each time. You have to jump start your metabolism and keep it going throughout the day.

I constantly refer to the three-ring binder my weight management staff/Drs. gave me and have attended a couple of support groups and received more information I can use for reference. One paperI carry in my purse and refer to constantly is "Forever Guidelines after RNY Gastric Bypass/Sleeve Surgery" showing bullet reminders of what I need to make a daily habit of doing.

I was sleeved on 2/5/14 and started eating small portions 5 - 6 times daily about 1 month pre-surgery. I have myfitnesspal set up to show Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack. Even if I only have 1/2 cup of 1% milk first thing in the a.m. it's something. I can't bring myself to get to Skim. I see my surgeon Thursday and hope to be moved to pureed/soft foods. I have also been provided a guideline for these foods.

I have a high protein shake mix (40g) that is absolutely delicious - and split in half for two servings during the day. It can also be frozen and makes a great tasting ice-cream. Everything I ingest at this point has some level of Protein. Greek Yogurt is another food I've begun eating, but still have my low-fat yogurt that I love.
  • mmanley0003
    Options
    I have tried all types of protein supplements and they all taste gritty. I did find out that unjury does not so I got the unflavored and mixed it in my drink and it smelled and tasted like river water how do I make it tasty so I can get enough in?
  • Sociologist2013
    Sociologist2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have myself on a schedule for eating and drinking to get everything in. 16 oz liquid when I wake up...takes an hour or so to drink. Protein shake around 7. 16 oz water between 8:30-10. Protein snack at 10. Water between 10:30-1:00. Lunch around 1:30. More water from about 2-4. Dinner around 4:30. Occasional evening snack. Trying not to drink much after 4:30 so I dont have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. I try to stay on that same schedule on the weekend but I will usually have a morning snack as well. You will find your groove:-)

Right after surgery I couldnt stomach protein shakes although had one everyday prior to surgery. I prefer to make my own as I am so not a fan of premade. I use syntrax nectar cappucino and mix it with milk for extra protein. Have that every morning. I am ordering the vanilla this week. No funky aftertaste and mixes great in a blender bottle or bullet. You just have to try different ones to see what your pallet can stand. I cant drink any of them mixed with water:-)
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have tried all types of protein supplements and they all taste gritty. I did find out that unjury does not so I got the unflavored and mixed it in my drink and it smelled and tasted like river water how do I make it tasty so I can get enough in?

Try the Isopure clear liquids. Jolly Rancher type taste, not gritty at all. 40g whey isolate protein in 20 oz liquid.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This is one of the things I guess I hadn't expected... To HAVE to focus on food after surgery. But I do have to focus and track every bite to get adequate nutrition now. You probably won't be hungry most of the time and will need to keep a schedule or vitamins and protein supplements to maintain proper nutrition. At 4 months out, I'm still doing two protein supplements most days. I use either quest bars, (great option if you hate to drink your protein) or Syntrax Nectar water mix products.
  • kayc6670
    Options
    I love the chocolate unjury with 8 oz 1% milk. Try using a shaker cup with the metal ball and it makes it smooth. I also like the chicken flavor unjury for a savory change of flavor. Be careful not to use water over 140 deg or it will curdle.