What do you do while working out?

Options
GeekdGirl
GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
I need a distraction, and the little screen with the red jumping dots on the elliptical isn't going to cut it. When you're working out (not including group classes, DVDs, etc. that already provide distraction), what do you do?

I've been bringing my iPad and watching Netflix (my gym has WiFi), but I'm just wondering what everyone else does. TV, reading, music, people watching... I need some ideas (and, if you watch TV or read, what are you watching and reading?).

Replies

• Adyanna79
    Adyanna79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally I count number... and every 100 I make a funny pose...

So far I have Wonder woman, Superman, Olympic winner, salute... Sometimes I go more dramatic...

Mind you I work it at home, not sure I would have the confidence at the gym.
  • sck2008
    Options
    I usually just listen to music lol
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I rock out!! For cardio usually electronic, pop, etc. Fast-paced music that makes you want to move! For strength training I'd usually go heavier, metal and the like. When I had a gym membership, sometimes there'd be something decent on the TV, so I'd listen to my music while watching whatever was on with subtitles. TV is usually a little too distracting though. For a little while I tried listening to language tapes, but that just led to not focusing enough on either activity, haha. So, music all the way for me!
  • CookieEmporium
    CookieEmporium Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Listen to music and write in my head.
  • alcianblue
    Options
    I am kinda of a masochist, I like to watch Top Chef when I'm working out :blushing: I loveee food and this is the only way to watch Top Chef without stepping into the kitchen and emptying the fridge :laugh: (Just finished season 17 actually, I think I'm gonna watch again some of the previous seasons... )
  • tayloryay
    Options
    Haha, I've done the same thing! Put on Food Network and dream while pumping away on the elliptical!
  • alcianblue
    Options
    Haha, I've done the same thing! Put on Food Network and dream while pumping away on the elliptical!
    :drinker:
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    So I have an app on my phone called "Zombies, Run". The app currently has two seasons of missions and basically it tells you stories about a post apocalyptic Britain, where zombies are everywhere, between songs on your playlist. Yeah.. It is pretty dang awesome. ^_^ And you can set it so that zombies mobs chase you every once in awhile so it forces you to interval run to escape them. Ha! I always feel like I have agro when that happens. Then again I am usually a tank.. I has all the Agro! *poses*
  • tayloryay
    Options
    I've heard of that app, sounds super cool!! That would really make running fun. :D
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    haha my answer is pretty boring! I usually turn on my internet radio (Slacker radio) so i can listen to a mix of everything; but for cardio i like a more up beat type song.

I might be out on an island with this one but, there is a local radio talk show from Sacramento, CA calld the Rob, Arnie and Dawn show. I grew up listening to them since i was about 14 years old. They're funny and they talk about all sorts of subjects in the news, etc. They make me laugh while i'm doing my cardio. People will give me odd looks because i'm just staring at NOTHING and laughing at apparently nothing. lol
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So I have an app on my phone called "Zombies, Run". The app currently has two seasons of missions and basically it tells you stories about a post apocalyptic Britain, where zombies are everywhere, between songs on your playlist. Yeah.. It is pretty dang awesome. ^_^ And you can set it so that zombies mobs chase you every once in awhile so it forces you to interval run to escape them. Ha! I always feel like I have agro when that happens. Then again I am usually a tank.. I has all the Agro! *poses*

Can you use the app with an iPad?
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Can you use the app with an iPad?

Sadly I think it is only for smart phones right now... But you might be able to download the iPhone app to your iPad.. Hmm.. Not sure. I think it would be worth a try! :)
  • thecolorteale
    thecolorteale Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm usually doing stuff too hard to do anything other than listen to music. Although last night while I was jump roping I did start chanting "Thin & fit" over and over to keep me from just collapsing on the floor. Sometimes when I'm walking/jogging/running I'll try to sing along with what I'm listening to, to keep my mind off of just collapsing on the ground :) but I work out at home and usually jog at night, away from the public setting of a gym.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Professor Blastoff, Judge John Hodgman, and audiobooks. I was on a Jasper Fforde kick, which seem to do really well as audiobooks.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I can get two episodes of Parks and Rec in per workout, so it's perfect. :)