how big is Baby?!

Options
I just had another ultrasound yesterday, I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow. And my baby boy is weighing in over a pound.
How big is your LO? And at what week?

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The last one I had was 6 lbs at 34 wks. The tech said that at that point, it could be up to a pound off either way. No more scans for me, though, in countdown mode now:)
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My daughter was estimated at 1 pound 4 ounces and that was at 24 weeks. I don't pay much attention to the weight measurements because they can be so off. When I was pregnant with my son they were convinced he was going to be some huge 9 pound baby (my husband and I are both six feet tall). At 39 weeks when he was born, he was 6 lbs 15 ounces. I've read and heard that more accurate measurements as far as size is concerned are the head and stomach circumference.

For what it's worth, my son is now off the growth chart for height. He just turned a year old a week ago, and he's 26 lbs 4 ounces and 32.25 inches :-)
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 weeks and our baby boy is measuring at 5lb 5 oz. :smile:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 weeks and have no idea! Is it usual in the US to get extra scans and find out your baby's weight? In England we get a scan at 12 weeks and a scan at 20 weeks then that's it. If your midwife is worried about baby's growth, or that it's breech, you get an extra scan.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My last scan was at 32 weeks and he was almost 1800g, 4lbs.

Edit: I don't know about scans in the United States but here in Norway you normally only get two, one early for dating and then the anatomy scan. I've been getting one each month since my anatomy scan just to make sure he's growing properly since I had weight loss surgery previously and have only gained 2.7kg/6lbs to date. He's perfectly chunky though. =)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 weeks and have no idea! Is it usual in the US to get extra scans and find out your baby's weight? In England we get a scan at 12 weeks and a scan at 20 weeks then that's it. If your midwife is worried about baby's growth, or that it's breech, you get an extra scan.

Nope, here in Chicago, IL, USA we follow the same scan schedule (at least it was for me) as long as it's a normal pregnancy. The only scan during which I got a weight estimate was at 39 weeks. It was an extra ultrasound to check on position (baby was way up high / not moving into position) and weight since we were there anyway (I had borderline GD) and we were doing it to determine if a C-section was necessary. Other than that I just did the 12 and 20 week scans.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I think it very much depends on the practice. I had three ultrasounds - one was after I experienced bleeding and the urgent care provider (so, not someone who usually uses a fetal doppler) was unable to detect a heartbeat. The second was a regular 20 week scan which pretty much everyone gets, and then my midwives suggested a growth scan in the third trimester. I do grow large babies and I was interested in seeing baby again, so I agreed.

My midwives do not have an ultrasound machine, so they coordinate these appointments with other offices. At practices where they have the technology inhouse, I believe it's much more common to have frequent scans. I actually left a practice that would not give me an initial prenatal unless I had their inhouse tech perform an ultrasound first. It was at a point in the pregnancy where I did not see the practicality, and they would not put a doctor on the phone to discuss pros/cons, it was simply their policy and you couldn't get in the door otherwise.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm high risk, so I get an ultrasound once a month or more to keep checking for heart defects and make sure baby is growing appropriately.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    They didnt tell me an estimated weight, just length and how far along I was measuring.
    I went in at 21 weeks and all measurements came up right close to the 21 week mark, except his length. He measured 25 weeks for his length! He is going to be super tall!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    At my 32 week ultrasound, they said baby boy was about 4 1/2 lbs. So I'm guessing he's close to 6lbs now. I will be 36 weeks on Sunday.....and so ready to be done!