Circuit/weight/cardio - confused!

Options
Hello, just in need of some advice.

I started running last year with the intention of entering the GNR and other events. To be honest...it never really happened. I was enthusiastic and keen, but I found running boring and tedious. What hasn't helped is that because of my working hours, it's usually too dark for me to get out and run, as a result I joined a gym and I run there. This obviously doesn't help to alleviate the boredom (unless Jeremy Kyle is on!) I've mixed things up with the X-trainer and bike, but again I've found it boring and I haven't noticed much change in the way of my fitness levels or weight (I know it's down to diet as well but I have made changes there as well).

I did a couple of sessions with our gym's PT and he recommended re-evaluating my fitness aims and doing circuits and weight training as well as cardio. I enjoyed the PT sessions and even though they were hard I've been told that they are more beneficial than just doing cardio. I like mixing things up as well, and after purchasing a set of kettlebells and dumb bells I've found some new motivation. I can also do more at home as well, especially if it's dark out when I have a spare 30 minutes.

The problem is, there's so many options out there and I feel a little overwhelmed! I want to tone up and get fitter, they're my main aims. I still run, but I do intervals instead (1 minute fast running, 1 minute walking), but I'm not totally sure if I'm doing the circuit and weight training properly. At the moment I've been finding routines, trying them out and then moving onto another. I feel like I should find one and stick to it, however I'm concerned I'll get bored or I'll get really toned legs and still left with a flabby belly!

What sort of approach should I take? I was thinking of doing at least one run a week and then additional strength sessions, but should I keep the sessions the same or mix them up? Above all, does what I'm doing sound right?

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think your goals are so vague ("I want to tone up and get fitter") that I'm not surprised you can't find something that keeps you interested.
    If you can't find something you enjoy then eventually your drive to keep turning up at the gym will wane. I think your PT picked up this when he made his suggestions to shake things up.

Are there any sports or activities you actually enjoy for themselves rather than because you think they are necessary? Dance, swimming, hiking, rugby(!)... Anything you haven't yet tried but always wanted to?

How about setting some real measurable goals to train towards to get some motivation and reward? A 5k run, a 50 mile cycle, body weight squats, 20 press ups....
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others will have more specific comments, but the one thing that springs to my mind is that it's a lot easier to exercise if you are doing something that you enjoy. I'm not a runner, or a weight-lifter, yet love Combat and Balance. I do some exercises that I don't enjoy quite as much (like Spin!), occasionally, but these don't form the core of my weekly routine. What have you tried that you do enjoy?
  • kajstring24
    kajstring24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Sijomial, I'm glad you've said that about my goals because then at least I know whether they're too vague or not. I do enjoy using the weights, but I enjoyed running at first. I like doing things that are in classes, but the ones in my area are at awkward times. It's annoying because there always seems to be a barrier.

I think I'll set myself some goals, I did want to do a 10k by the end of January but it didn't happen because I didn't make it out enough. Can you recommend any good fitness goals?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sijomial, I'm glad you've said that about my goals because then at least I know whether they're too vague or not. I do enjoy using the weights, but I enjoyed running at first. I like doing things that are in classes, but the ones in my area are at awkward times. It's annoying because there always seems to be a barrier.

I think I'll set myself some goals, I did want to do a 10k by the end of January but it didn't happen because I didn't make it out enough. Can you recommend any good fitness goals?
    If you put yourself in your PTs shoes he could only really give you a "vanilla flavoured" routine. A beginner weights routine would give you good results but they tend to be repetitive so I feel you wouldn't be likely to want to stick with it. I do a very wide range of free weights, machines, bodyweight and various cardio routines because I like variety.

Have a look at my profile for examples of goals but with the caveat these are very personal to me - I'm very goal oriented and too competitive for my own good (even with myself). What you might notice is that they are measurable, I know I need to see progress or hit a target. Speed, weight, distance, reps all make reasonable goals.

I'm no runner but if you like company when exercising how about organised 5k's or park runs?
  • kajstring24
    kajstring24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. There is a local ParkRun by me but I'm a musician in my spare time so my weekends can be taken up by gigs. I do work with people who use the same gym so it might be worth speaking to them, I usually go on my own because I feel a bit self-conscious but it might be good to have a buddy?