Water is your friend!

Options
“Eating better" means drinking better, so avoid the empty calories in juice, soda, and especially alcohol. If you're thirsty, drink water—it's really the only thing that quenches your thirst anyway. Plus, your body needs to be properly hydrated in order for you to excel in your workouts.

How to cut out bad liquid calories:
• Replace juice with a whole piece of fruit. And don't peel it first (unless it's citrus or a banana, of course). The skin is loaded with tons of fiber and vitamins.
• Avoid sodas, including the diet ones! Your body can't differentiate between regular and artificial sweeteners, and a single soda (diet or not) will spike your blood sugar.
• Limit alcohol intake—it not only affects blood sugar and sleep patterns, but it also has the potential to alter hormone levels, which could inhibit fat loss.

I try to drink half my weight in oz. How much water do you drink?

Replies

• tevadiva
    Options
    Not really sure if I am to "post reply" when I want to comment or start a new topic. I guess I'll figure it out. But anyway I soooooo agree about the water. In fact when our 3 children were growing up I preached this so much thatif they had most any ailment my first question would be "how much water have you had today?"

I get to really smile when our youngest son came home for Christmas 2 years ago and brought us a book by a physician detailing the importance of water. I was like "what? You didn't believe it until you had to pay good money for a book on the subject?"

Really the only thing I drink other than my water is 2-3 cups of coffee in the AM then my water. After years it's no longer an effort. My body craves it and like you said it is what quenches my thirst.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of water. I just do not like the taste. If I was crawling on the desert floor for days w/o anything else to drink, well then ya, maybe, ha ha. Before my second attempt at mfp which started Jan. 1 (not too original, am I?) I would only drink alcohol and coffee. Since Jan 1 of this year I have been sober and have not had a drop. I was not an alcoholic so my drinking was more out of habit than anything else. I am now trying to drink more fluids so I am making plain iced tea to drink. I hope that that counts. I do not know if the caffeine negates the benefit of drinking the tea but I figure no matter what, at least the calories are fewer.
  • Iam4health
    Options
    I try to drink a minimum of 1/2 my weight in water also. To help me achieve this goal I have a 16 oz glass of water when I first wake up and then one at each meal during the day. In between I try to refill after I empty meaning every time after I empty my bladder I put 8 oz of water back into my body!