New Elliptical User question

Options
heniko
heniko Posts: 796 Member
Hey ya'll ...
I'm a new Elliptical user. Have a few questions ....

1- I'm beginner, rather overweight ... what's a good way for a beginner to start out? I'm completely pooped after each 30m session, some days my knees hurt so bad I can't walk. Any suggestions?
2- Knowing myself, I need to keep switching it up to lose weight ... I'm basically getting on my trainer and riding it out for about 30minutes, trying to work up to 45m. How can I switch it up?
3- How often do you train on your bike? I'm rather overweight 233lbs 5'6frame ... what do you suggest? Other then my crosser, I walk daily for about 30m.

Replies

• fitgal122
    Options
    30 mins is a great amount of time to use your elliptical. I can only do it for 30 mins at a time. I alternate between using my elliptical and running. So usually I only use mine about twice a week and then run for 45-60 mins the other 4 days a workout. You can switch up your workout by increasing resistance, speed, intervals, etc. Most machines have different programs already built into them so you could always do one of those. What your doing sounds great! Just remember that progress takes time but the pounds will com off :) good luck!
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical almost exclusively as far as cardio machines go. I will switch between the fat burn and cardio settings. Work slower with more resistance, or faster with less. Switch up your soundtracks on your mp3 player too, and try to keep with the rhythm. All ways to use the same machine but have it a little different from day to day.
  • Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    just a tip, I start out pedaling forward and when it feel like I'm about to give out I start pedaling backwards and I switch between the two
  • flyingjack
    flyingjack Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is good!

I also take a quick water break every 10 minutes, getting off the elliptical, walking over to the fountain, and then heading back.

Keeps me chipper.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cross trainer -> 15 mins H.I.I.T. you should be sweating so much that your dripping in a short amount of time - quick&efficient.