Feeling Ripped Off

Options
myrealname
myrealname Posts: 90 Member
So I finally mustered the courage to join a gym so I could start the stronglifts program as I've read so many positive things about it. This wasn't an easy decision for me by any means since I have access to a gym at work although it doesn't have barbells or racks. It's reasonably equipped with everything else though.

Anyway, so I went for the first time today and hired a personal trainer for 3 sessions. I was hoping that 3 sessions (but possibly increase it to 6) would be more than enough for a trainer to show me the stronglifts moves, help me to find my start weight, warmup weight etc. Instead, I think he basically told me (after doing a Lifechanger fitness type test for an hour) that doing the stronglifts program would basically require a starter package of 18 sessions with a trainer though possibly more.

I thought this was nuts. I just wanted to work with a trainer for form a few times and, as I mentioned, help me find my start weight etc. Am I being silly about this expectation? I'm really thinking of cancelling my membership (while I still have a few days to get a full refund) and just continue with the workouts I'm doing.

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    18 sessions?! What a bunch of BS! 2 sessions should be more than enough to get the hang of the main lifts! Heck, I never was taught the lifts, only read about them and watched videos, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing fine.

I'd say you could try to get a different PT session, tell the administration that the one you saw was trying to make you do stuff you don't care about. See what they say to that. If they're reasonable at all they'll give you a free session and a different trainer. Otherwise yeah, I'd be seriously considering getting a refund too :|
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree that 18 sessions is BS. The trainer is just trying to make some money off you.

Like krokador I taught myself the lifts by watching youtube videos.

The problem is that I don't believe that most trainers even know what Stronglifts 5x5 is.
  • myrealname
    myrealname Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This guy knows the program and is actually a member of MFP. I pretty much said to him that I wouldn't keep my membership if all he is technically paid to do is show me machines and a few other exercises.He did hint around that I would need numerous PT sessions to do this program though and I have no idea why.

After everything I've read, this is total BS and I could probably learn form from You Tube.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    He's totally upselling you. Don't buy into it. Choose a different trainer and if same thing happens, it's the gym to blame. $$$
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I tried the free session with a trainer and it was terrible! I was so nervous about starting alone but I watched a bunch of videos and learned on my own. I started with the bar on everything except dead lift and for that I started with a preloaded 50lb. bar stacked on a few plates. I also use preloaded bars for OHP when I can because they are shorter and more manageable for me. You will find what works for you and if you have questions, everyone in this group is here to help! I have had a great welcome and continued support since I joined. :flowerforyou:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    If they have the equipment you don't have access to, stay with the gym. PT's are trying to keep clients. It is their primary source of income, so of course they will try to get you sucked into as many sessions as they can.

You don't need to have a certain level of fitness before starting SL. That is actually the great part of this program. You can adjust the starting weights as needed. You don't need to do a 1RM test before hand. Start with the bar and either adjust down in weight if necessary or progress up from there. Use the time with the lighter weights to focus on form and get the movements down. Take form videos if you can to review form yourself or post them to youtube and provide the links here for us to comment. You have a whole collective of people that can help you out.
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi. Total Noob here.
    I knew I wanted to start weight lifting as I am beginning my weight loss journey. I just didn't know where to start.

I went to a local PT and he ran me thru some paces and dumbbell routines, but I think when he found out what I wanted from him - i.e. I am not coming in every week, just want to know proper form and what lifts/routines to do - he lost interest in not having a steady client for income and I knew we were NOT a fit.

I have a friend who is a PT. (I am an hour away from her, so that is why I didn't approach her as my first PT.) Told her I wanted to pick her brain and get advice and she offered to have me come into the Y on a guest pass. I lifted Tues by myself for the first time ever, after watching videos and reading about posture, 5x5 website, etc. Today I met with my PT friend and asked her to look at my form - found out my knees were going way forward of my feet during squats and she helped me with form and additional exercises.

Now, that said, just to say - TELL a new, different PT what YOU want from them. Not the other way around. But, I think someone who knows proper form is an invaluable resource to keep you from hurting yourself - like I could have if I had continued my poor squat form.

Good luck!