A Challenge to Just Move

Options
So SonaliShukla and I were talking about starting up a little challenge to help motivate us to keep moving while pregnant. (Hopefully the routine will continue even beyond pregnancy as well.)

We had thought for each of us to aim for at least 4 workouts a week. A workout can be anything from a DVD to a simple walk to whatever your doctor has approved.

My thought is that at the end of each week or at the end of each day post a summary of what your workouts were in that time period and be sure to encourage each other along the way! :smile:

Any suggestions for a new workout or even a better way to format this challenge are welcomed!

Everyone is invited to join in!

---

My name is Suzanne.
I am 13 weeks pregnant.
I have fallen completely off the working out bandwagon.
I can do this!

Replies

• IndianMuslim
    Options
    Great idea Suzanne!

I just got back from my first pregnancy water aerobics class and it was amazing. I had put off working out completely until now, but since i'm past my 3-month mark now, and water aerobics are so low impact, I am going to continue to do this workout once a week. I highly recommend you guys look into pregnancy water aerobics. My son's swimming school offers free classes for pregnant women in their 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Can't beat free ;)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    That's awesome! So far it's just been walks for me (when I can convince my husband to go with me) but I'm really ready to start a prenatal workout for sure!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to look up pregnancy exercise videos on you tube. Walking is out of the question because there's a layer of ice on everything and the wind chill here is below zero.
  • SonaliShukla
    SonaliShukla Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks Suzanne for the initiative.I started walking again this Wed,missed yesterday,need to make it to 4 days this week!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :)
    I had been really struggling with being physically active, my doctor asked me to keep low impact exercise routines. I had been suffering from morning sickness really bad and decided doing nothing outside my regular busy life was a good way to take it easy.
    My husband rescued a puppy a little while back and it has been just the motivation I needed to get myself moving more. I take the puppy out for little walks at least once a day, but usually twice. But, still feeling a little sick, I have been being lazy on that too. I take him out long enough for him to do his business and go back home.
    I am just rounding the corner on the end of first trimester and entering second. I am noticing my morning sickness is fading quite a bit and am really ready to take it up another notch or two! Time for much longer walks at least.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Aw, that's so exciting about the puppy! :)

This past week I've been walking and that's about it for exercise. I've been wanting to do a workout video in the morning (which is when I used to typically have the time to do them) but recently if I move too quickly in the morning I feel nauseous. It's the strangest thing.... Walking at night seems to be the route to take.
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    has anyone discovered a way to get through being so tired all the time so there is time in the day to get moving?

The exhaustion from first trimester has gone, but it was replaced with always being tired! While I do work at a desk, I work in a busy law firm and am up and down and very busy all day long. By the time I get home from work, I am too tired for anything!

I want to get out and walk much much more, but I struggle to fit it in. Should I be resting when I am tired or should I try to push through and get a walk in? (My gym has an indoor running track, so I don't have to worry about winter weather/ice etc.)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I finally started to feel better so I joined the gym! My first goal is to go 4 nights a week (hopefully i'll be able to walk outside on the weekends) and walk for 45 minutes. I'm a runner (but stopped after my marathon at 3+6) and I always feel wierd just walking on the treadmill. Once I get back into the routine of walking, I might start using the elliptical again. We'll see though.
  • SonaliShukla
    Options
    Hello ladies,how have you been going with your workouts?In my last prenatal appointment,doc stressed to start walking for an hour daily coupled with prenatal yoga and even squats some days.I am trying to walk atleast 5 days a week now for 40-50 mins and have got a prenatal yoiga dvd to start doing at home.lets see how it goes!
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I'm Jessica and was 22 weeks pregnant this past week. I too have been sleeping a lot instead of exercising :/

Tuesday - circuit training for 40 minutes (with my personal trainer-- she really kicked my butt!)
    Wednesday - yoga for 17 mins (this was just in my living room)
    Saturday - walking (slow) 105 mins. At the mall.
    Sunday - weight training 10 mins, walking 3.5 mph (actually 3.0/4.5 intervals) for 21 min, snow shoeing 23 mins <-- today yay!

Weekly total: 216 mins. Mostly walking around the mall :/
  • usernameMAMA
    Options
    Right now the majority of my movement involves chasing after my 18 month old. It's getting depressing in Wisconsin, we have at least 2 feet of snow on the ground and the temperatures have been at least 20 degrees below normal so taking a walk isn't an option:( Oh, and I live in a small town so our mall is the local gas station!
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    It is finally getting warm enough around here to get out. I am still just walking whenever I can.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking on exercise. I haven't been to the gym in two weeks because I loved to stay home and watch the Olympics. Now that they are over, I really need to get back at it. I was planning on going tomorrow but the gym is closed Wednesday and Thursday for renovations so I need to find something else to do!
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    usernameMAMA I hear you. I live in St. Paul MN so walking outside is not an option. After the last snow storm most sidewalks aren't even plowed. But luckily we do have plenty of malls and my walking this past weekend was actually at the Mall of America. It has the benefit of the fact that we were just going there for dinner but we still had to walk like a mile to get to the freaking restaurant!
  • usernameMAMA
    Options
    Rhye- I'm planning on taking my little one to the aquarium at the Mall of America this spring. We wanted to go a few weeks ago but it was soooo cold and snowy. I went to the mall once like 15 years ago and I remember the amount of walking it took to get anywhere, but it is good exercise!
  • SonaliShukla
    Options
    Offlate I am walking back home from office which is a 40-45 mins mod pace walk.Have started doing some prenatal yoga with it on some days.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Went to go visit my grandparents for the weekend. They live on a 300 acre ranch. I spent the weekend walking around the ranch and realized how out of shape I really am. I was embarrassed that I was huffing and puffing and trying hard to keep up with my 82yr old grandpa.,
  • SonaliShukla
    Options
    I absoltely understand tigger:-) but hatsoff to the fitness levels of your grandpa!Really inspiring to see such people so active at this age!
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    I suppose that actually just makes this even more sad for me, because he can't walk for very long either before needing a break. lol *embarrassed face*
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    For 6 weeks now I have kept up with my goal of walking at least twice a week (and I walk 1 mile each time I go out.)
    2 miles a week isn't a lot but it is better than sitting at home doing nothing (which is what I really want to do) and some weeks I do more. My highest weeks has been 6 miles.