Ideal Carb/Protein/Fat Ratio

Options
Hi there, I'm new to the board. I've been struggling with PCOS for years now, but have just been diagnosed this past fall. I've been working with both my GP and Naturopath to get it under control. So far I'm on the following meds/supplements: Adrenal Support for mood, energy, stress, 5HTP for mood and sleep, Chaste Tree for PMS type symptoms, nacinamide for skin, and Metformin. I've been taking all the supplements for a few months now and have seen huge improvements. I've just started Met about 5 days ago though. I started at 250 mg and have gone up to 500 mg and will eventually work my way up to 1500 mg. So far I haven't had bad side affects (lets hope it stays that way!)

I'm also trying to follow a Low GI diet. I'm slowly learning about it, although I'm finding it a bit difficult as each food is so totally different. My goal is to lose about 50 lbs overall and get my PCOS symptoms under control. I am lucky to not suffer from infertility, and I'm not currently TTC.

My question is: what is the ideal Carb/Protein/Fat ratio?

TIA!!

Replies

• Rowthena08
    Options
    Hey Kacey!
    My goal is about 50-60 lbs as well I'm at 200 right now. I don't have the exact ratio or percentages but I'm trying to stay closer to 120 carbs or less daily. Trying to really keep the sugar low as well is huge. If I want a treat, I try the sugar free treats. I notice when I can stick to that it really makes a difference. Chicken and fish for higher proteins.
    It's just sometimes hard for me to stick to it perfectly.
    We're also realizing that weights vs cardio might be better for our type of body. I'm going to hit the weights really well this week and see if it helps.
    I know this doesn't help much but it's where I'm trying to be.... :)
  • kaceyallison
    kaceyallison Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reply! I've heard a bit about weights instead of cardio, and I'm thinking I need to incorporate it into my workouts. I actually enjoy weights more than cardio, but I've been focused on cardio for years now. I am right around 190 at the moment, and I'd love to get down to 140... I started on metformin to help with the insulin resistance. Are you currently on any supplements/meds?
  • Rowthena08
    Options
    Hey there,
    Yes, I am on Metformin as well, taking the 1500 mgs a day. If I eat correctly it does seem to help with the insulin resistance. I'm hoping the more weight I lose, that I wont need to use it anymore.

I'm thinking even if it's just 10 minutes at first with weights, that's a good start. That's what I would like. 140 - 150 lbs. If I could just go into a store and find something that fits and not awkwardly, I'd feel good about myself. Many reasons to lose the weight. Health, stress on joints....but I also want to feel good about ME too :)

We can do it. We WILL Do it :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it under 50g carbs a day. 1. because its considered 'low carb' and can put me into ketosis and 2. my metformin is very unhappy if I go very far over that. it works out to about 15% carbs, 25% protein, and 60% fats. if I stick to it, it really does help a lot, with all my pcos symptoms and weightloss both.
  • kaceyallison
    kaceyallison Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! 15/25/50! I know that high fat, low carb is preferred, but that's quite low/high! I'm not sure if I can go that far. I definitely love my high protein too. This is a total hearning curve for my body. So far I haven't had any side affects from my met, but that could just be because I'm still on such a low dose. I'm curious to see how my body, food choices and met all go together.

And I hear ya, Rowthena, my dream would be to fit into a bathing suit and feel good about it at the pool. That will be the day!!
  • Alliwan
    Options
    Wow! 15/25/50! I know that high fat, low carb is preferred, but that's quite low/high! I'm not sure if I can go that far. I definitely love my high protein too. This is a total hearning curve for my body. So far I haven't had any side affects from my met, but that could just be because I'm still on such a low dose. I'm curious to see how my body, food choices and met all go together.

if I don't let my husband cook, its wonderful. That's 50-75g carbs, over 100g protein and about 130 fats and I love it. hubby is a carb-a-holic so its harder when he cooks.

Anything under 100g carbs a day is typically counted as low carb. So you have to find what works for you, both how you feel and weightloss itself. One size doesn't fit all when it comes to weightloss, especially with PCOS.
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also try to stay below 100g of carbs a day. I tow the line, though, (usually getting between 100 and 150) because I don't have insulin resistance. I wish I could go a bit higher fat, but am nervous about hearth health due to family history. still figuring things out for sure. Feel free to add me if you would like to dig into my diary - it's open to friends!

Good luck with this journey - you can do it!
    Katie
  • itsmrsamber2u
    itsmrsamber2u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning about the benefits of the low carb diets for PCOS. I was wondering if the 100g you are suggesting are Net or Total carbs. Thanks in advanced :)
  • Alliwan
    Options
    I'm still learning about the benefits of the low carb diets for PCOS. I was wondering if the 100g you are suggesting are Net or Total carbs. Thanks in advanced :)

i talk net, most people when they talk carbs is net carbs. There isnt much point in counting carbs your body doesnt digest so doesnt react like a carb in your body.
  • itsmrsamber2u
    itsmrsamber2u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I also try to stay below 100g of carbs a day. I tow the line, though, (usually getting between 100 and 150) because I don't have insulin resistance. I wish I could go a bit higher fat, but am nervous about hearth health due to family history. still figuring things out for sure. Feel free to add me if you would like to dig into my diary - it's open to friends!

Good luck with this journey - you can do it!
    Katie

The claims about "fat = heart attack" have been proven bunk over and over and over again. In fact (and especially for us with PCOS), it's actually likely that a low-carb/high-fat diet will improve your risk of cardiovascular issues, not worsen it (there's also a decent chance that your family history is at least partially due to their diet), especially if you avoid trans fats, hydrogenated oils, and heavily processed seed oils.

I recommend checking out this blog entry and lecture by Dr. Peter Attia, regarding all the crap around fat and CVD - http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/how-did-we-come-to-believe-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol-are-bad-for-us
  • kamuas
    kamuas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HI ladies!!! I'm new to the board and just wanted to say this conversation has been very interesting! I've been on metformin for about a year for "suspected PCOS" but recently it was confirmed. I've been having issues (just had our third miscarriage, and I have a 3 year old daughter) and so I'm trying to do more research on how to attack this PCOS. My weight has been all over the place, and depression definitely hasn't been helping the situation.

How do you figure net carbs vs total carb?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    HI ladies!!! I'm new to the board and just wanted to say this conversation has been very interesting! I've been on metformin for about a year for "suspected PCOS" but recently it was confirmed. I've been having issues (just had our third miscarriage, and I have a 3 year old daughter) and so I'm trying to do more research on how to attack this PCOS. My weight has been all over the place, and depression definitely hasn't been helping the situation.

net carb = total carb - (fiber + sugar alcohols)

In other words, if food item A has 30g of total carbs, with 10g of fiber and 5g of sugar alcohols, then your net carbs will be 30 - (10 + 5) = 15g.

Personally, I don't deal much with the whole "net carb" thing, and just watch total carbs. I'm lazy like that. :laugh:
  • Alliwan
    Options

net carb = total carb - (fiber + sugar alcohols)

In other words, if food item A has 30g of total carbs, with 10g of fiber and 5g of sugar alcohols, then your net carbs will be 30 - (10 + 5) = 15g.

Personally, I don't deal much with the whole "net carb" thing, and just watch total carbs. I'm lazy like that. :laugh:

Ill subtract the fiber but don't delve into the sugar alcohols. So I guess everyone has their own way LOL
  • Tarsha1980
    Tarsha1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was just reading these posts. So instead of focusing on cardo, I should focus on weights? I just signed up for kick-boxing classes and I am wondering if that was the wrong thing to do. Also, 15/25/60 is the ratio of carbs:protein:fat.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I was just reading these posts. So instead of focusing on cardo, I should focus on weights? I just signed up for kick-boxing classes and I am wondering if that was the wrong thing to do. Also, 15/25/60 is the ratio of carbs:protein:fat.

A mix of both is actually a good idea. Some cardio is good, because it conditions your heart and lungs (hence, "cardio"). It also helps improve insulin sensitivity and burns off some of the glycogen in your muscles.

Weight lifting/strength training is also good, because it helps you build/maintain muscle (thus keeping your metabolism up), and prompts your bones to increase in density (very good thing for women in general, because it prevents osteoporosis). I've also found that it helps keep my cycles working properly (don't ask why, I have no idea).

That said, kickboxing is a good choice for cardio, especially with the right program (the gym I go to does it interval-style based on boxing/MMA timers, for example). If you can, it might be a good idea to work in a day or two of weights to round it out. How many days you do will depend on your energy levels, both programs, and the number of days you're doing kickboxing. I wouldn't recommend doing more than 4-5 days per week, since both programs can be high intensity, and rest days are just as important as workout days. The details, though, will depend on the specifics.
  • Tarsha1980
    Tarsha1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I typically go to kickboxing 3-4 days per week. With this new knowledge, I will do one day kickboxing, one day weight training, and then one day rest...unless I'm on vacation; there will be a couple more rest days. LOL
  • jeanipurdy
    jeanipurdy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been researching PCOS a lot I was diagnosed in 1998 and was told to "loose Weight", HUH well if it was that easy I'd already be fit and healthy! I came across a lady on YouTube her name is Katie Humphrey she has a video series called 90 days to freedom from PCOS or something along those lines. Now I have to confess that I didn't watch all of her videos but she had some great tips and tricks in her videos. Anyway I just wanted to share this information with you. I hope it helps you in some way!