7 miscarriages and 1 handome son _ pcos & metformin

Options
Hi all, am new to all this, so bear with me:)
I was diagnosed with pcos 8 years ago, I have just suffered my 7th miscarriage. I should have known better, I am a good 5 stone overweight and in recent years have not thought much about my pcos, just got used to it I suppose. I did however loose 5 stone 7 years ago and I took metformin one I lost the weight and after a working 9 months I had my son. So here I am, back where I started, I have decided enough is enough, I am desperate for another child but I will not do it again until I have agreed some weight, so am healthy eating, signed up to this website (brilliant by the way) and walking 6 hours per week, plus got myself back on metformin, which is tough going. I am struggling to stay focused, so good all day but by the evening I want to throw all my good efforts in the bin and drink wine and eat cheese which is really not helping matters. Would love to meet some new friends who know how hard this battle is so we can help and encourage each other x
Amanda

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

Stick with the Metformin if you can. I am 37 weeks pregnant and took Metformin through the whole first trimester. The doctor told me that Metformin reduces miscarriage risk in women who have PCOS. (I read one study that said it actually decreases it from 40% to 8% in women who have PCOS) so IMO it is worth it.
  • aegarvey
    aegarvey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amanda :) Sorry to hear about your struggles. I'm almost 3yrs ttc and just was put on metformin a couple of months ago. No luck, but I've been told it helps both with conception and miscarriage prevention. Hope the site helps, I've found it to be very useful. (And now that you mention it, wine and cheese sounds pretty good lol)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    ^^ On my initial dosage (I want to say 500 mg twice a day?) I didn't have any luck. As soon as it was increased to 1000 mg twice a day a few months later, my cycles resumed. They may do an adjustment in your dosage after a few months. Honestly, I do not believe I would be pregnant right now were it not for the Metformin.
  • amandamcnee
    amandamcnee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, thanks for your encouraging words. I must admit it is hard to get your head around it all but time wasn't built in a day I suppose and this has got to be a lifestyle change for the greater good xx so glad you are 37 weeks miranda_mom, it is amazing, we thank the metformin:)x
  • amandamcnee
    Options
    Aegarvey, have you had no luck with any pregnancies? Just wondered if your partner has had any testing as well, keep going with the met, it's a wider drug xx
  • amandamcnee
    Options
    P.s apologies for spelling mistakes, I must type slower;)
  • aegarvey
    aegarvey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No, he hasn't had any testing yet. We just upped my met dosage and since we know for a fact that I have ovulation issues, it hasn't been a priority. But we said we would give three more months before having him tested.
  • amandamcnee
    Options
    Good idea, I am sure your ovulation will right itself - wishing you lots of luck xx
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My husband just went for his "testing" this morning. We were actually trying to get it done earlier but appointments are hard to come by, he can only do weekends because of work, and our holiday season was pretty crazy this year.

We've only been TTC for 6 months, but our logic was that my treatments are NOT cheap, and frankly it would be a real shame to think that we were wasting a bunch of money on that without realizing that there was a male factor in play as well. I mean, if I did manage to ovulate and then we didn't know there was no chance anyway. I'd rather go straight to more advanced fertility treatments (IVF, IUI, something like that) and save our money for that.

Just something you might want to consider, although if you've got great insurance and are not currently out of pocket for your treatments then maybe it doesn't matter.
  • gem2807
    gem2807 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there me and my husband have been trying to concieve for 3 years now. Metformin seems to not do anything for me. I dont havr periods very often but as soon as I lose some weight they come back. Which means to me weight has a big part to play in pcos. My doctor once made a very valid point.... she said the trouble is people believe that their PCOS is causing weight problems but in actual fact its your weight controlling your PCOS. It plays around with your hormones terribly im hoping that losing weight will help me concieve. My doctor said there is a very high success rate with people that have lost 10% of their weight xx
  • ChelleSC
    Options
    I have two boys both conceived with clomid. We tried clomid again for number 3, but it didn't work. I ovulated once, but didn't get pregnant and the other cycles I didn't even ovulate. My OB said the only other thing I can do is lose weight and exercise. I believe it! As far as the weight and PCOS link it's a but like the old which came first the chicken or the egg. I always had irregular periods, and was never thin, but not very heavy. The year after my wedding I put on 50 lbs following the weight watchers plan. I exercised, but since WW focuses on low fat, low calorie diets I was eating a very carb heavy diet. My GP wasn't any help. She said that my age was the reason for the gain. I was 28. I think we're just very sensitive to what foods we eat. Veggies are crucial. I find if I focus on eating nonstarchy veggies I do much better. I take metformin and also an herbal medicine called vitex that works to help your body balance hormones. I am not ovulating yet, but I am showing signs that things are moving. I am hopeful that I will be giving birth if not in 2014 in 2015. I think if I get under 200lbs I will have better chances of getting pregnant.
  • jnhillard
    jnhillard Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hI there my story could be your story. I have had 8 early miscarriages and I also have one handsome son. When I got pregnant with him I got down to 192 which put me at just overweight and no longer obese. I had lost 24 pounds. I now weigh 207 (have lost 7lbs) and I have decided it's time to lose the baby weight and no longer have my infertility. I'm going to send you a friend request I would love to encourage each other. This eighth loss really shook me to the core it was definitely very hard. Sorry for your losses and I hope that losing weight brings you the baby you hope for.
  • kamuas
    kamuas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies...

Jumping on the wagon here. I'm new to the group. I suffered my third miscarriage last month and we are now actively pursing more treatment/answers. I was diagnosed with PCOS and definitely need to lose some weight. I've started some different vitamins and herbs to try to help, as well as I am on 1500 mg metformin a day. Here's hoping for all of us!